Oreo Dealer Button (2 Viewers)

so I got a little nervous about putting these on the felt and actually made a game time decision not to last night, worried if they were sliding that they don't slide smoothly and they'd snag the fabric. Ok with them on my table topper "mousepad" style thing though....just my main table with the TChan cloth is my worry. Has anyone done anything to reduce the "sharpness" of the texture? E.G. slight sanding, etc.?

so I got a little nervous about putting these on the felt and actually made a game time decision not to last night, worried if they were sliding that they don't slide smoothly and they'd snag the fabric. Ok with them on my table topper "mousepad" style thing though....just my main table with the TChan cloth is my worry. Has anyone done anything to reduce the "sharpness" of the texture? E.G. slight sanding, etc.?
I assume these are PLA which are pretty difficult to sand to any level of smoothness without removing some pretty significant material and removing detail. Your best bet would be to start sanding until you're happy with the slide, but know that you'll be shifting material into nooks and crannies that you'll have to use picks or other small tools to remove it.

I don't think they are built to slide on a poker table. Too many sharp edges on that detailed 3D printed cookie.

PLA sands OK. I think the reason these catch is because the sharp edges, so sanding to avoid catching probably requires something that will allow different approach angles, such as a sanding sponge. If you sand at 100 grit, it will also dull the finish but I'm sure that at higher grits it is OK. I've been working on the epoxy for a while and just demolded this morning, and I need to finish it better, but I'm quite unimpressed– it makes the button lose its 3D appearance. Straight-on the button doesn't look much different but from steeper angles, the reflections from the epoxy overwhelms the darkness of the button. Also because the rim of the wafer doesn't hold epoxy, you'll need to mold it and caulk it, and the caulk tends to stick to the bottom because of extrusion lines.

IMG_5109.HEIC.JPGIMG_5110.HEIC.JPG

PLA sands OK. I think the reason these catch is because the sharp edges, so sanding to avoid catching probably requires something that will allow different approach angles, such as a sanding sponge. If you sand at 100 grit, it will also dull the finish but I'm sure that at higher grits it is OK. I've been working on the epoxy for a while and just demolded this morning, and I need to finish it better, but I'm quite unimpressed– it makes the button lose its 3D appearance. Straight-on the button doesn't look much different but from steeper angles, the reflections from the epoxy overwhelms the darkness of the button. Also because the rim of the wafer doesn't hold epoxy, you'll need to mold it and caulk it, and the caulk tends to stick to the bottom because of extrusion lines.

View attachment 1087635View attachment 1087636
Another take on this....I think the issue with the button possibly catching on table felt is due to each extruded part having very sharp edges...
What if a heat gun was used to the face, using just enough heat to round over all of the sharp edges of every raised ornament... a little like this:
ezgif.com-webp-to-jpg.jpg

Another take on this....I think the issue with the button possibly catching on table felt is due to each extruded part having very sharp edges...
What if a heat gun was used to the face, using just enough heat to round over all of the sharp edges of every raised ornament... a little like this:
View attachment 1087661
So you're suggesting we bake the cookies?

I used mine on Saturday night’s game. It was a huge hit. I used one chocolate cookie, and one golden. The chocolate side was NLHE, the golden side was for PLO. Worked great! Several guys held it up to their ear and pulled it apart. :cool

Do you have the files? My daughter, printed these trophies, dealer, buttons, and the chip holder.

Attachments

• 99A2C9CB-C922-4C69-A530-4176ACC74C15.jpeg
    99A2C9CB-C922-4C69-A530-4176ACC74C15.jpeg
    141.2 KB · Views: 65

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom