Online Home Poker (6 Viewers)

Also I would love to hear that I am just missing something. App updated this evening.
Turns out I was wrong. I just checked it out again and Home Games are there at the bottom of the home page. It looks like it just takes a bit longer for the app to load up and recognize everything. *phew*

Anyone have much experience with using P* mobile? When I switch between my PC and mobile (Android handset or iPad), it doesn't always load my in progress home games. I also can't find anywhere to locate the games (I suspect the new apps have a lot of web integration vs purely native apps).

Thanks,
Grant

I know there are a several members that host a Mavens server. There is a dude that is offering administrative tools that would be helpful in managing your Mavens site. However, I wonder if giving the developer access to your database is a concern. Here is his reply to me.

The person who created Mavens built it to be very extensible. My app communicates with your Mavens server via API (application programming interface) calls. It uses the API to programmatically request info from your server. In addition, your server can also send "callback" notifications to my app when particular events happen.

For example, when a tourney ends, your Mavens server would send a callback to my app to notify it. My app would then request the tournament summary information from your Mavens server via an API call, format it nicely, pull the email address for each of the tourney participants from your Mavens server via another API call, and then send the email to all the tourney participants. This two-way communication is what makes all of the tools possible.

In order to enable this, you would turn on API access and callbacks in your Mavens system settings and give my app access. I respect your privacy and that of your players, and I would not access server information for any reason other than to make sure my tools are running correctly.

I don't pretend to have the knowledge to determine if this is a concern or not. Interested in opinions from those with expertise in this area.

I know there are a several members that host a Mavens server. There is a dude that is offering administrative tools that would be helpful in managing your Mavens site. However, I wonder if giving the developer access to your database is a concern. Here is his reply to me.

The person who created Mavens built it to be very extensible. My app communicates with your Mavens server via API (application programming interface) calls. It uses the API to programmatically request info from your server. In addition, your server can also send "callback" notifications to my app when particular events happen.

For example, when a tourney ends, your Mavens server would send a callback to my app to notify it. My app would then request the tournament summary information from your Mavens server via an API call, format it nicely, pull the email address for each of the tourney participants from your Mavens server via another API call, and then send the email to all the tourney participants. This two-way communication is what makes all of the tools possible.

In order to enable this, you would turn on API access and callbacks in your Mavens system settings and give my app access. I respect your privacy and that of your players, and I would not access server information for any reason other than to make sure my tools are running correctly.

I don't pretend to have the knowledge to determine if this is a concern or not. Interested in opinions from those with expertise in this area.
Everything he stated is correct; however your concerns are also legit. There are no fine grained levels of access control. There's only "you either have API access or you don't". THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS READ-ONLY ACCESS.

Therefore, by providing access to the API, you not only give someone the ability to query for tournament stats, but you also give them the ability to add chips to a player's account. It's all-or-nothing, and that concerns me.

Everything he stated is correct; however your concerns are also legit. There are no fine grained levels of access control. There's only "you either have API access or you don't". THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS READ-ONLY ACCESS.

Therefore, by providing access to the API, you not only give someone the ability to query for tournament stats, but you also give them the ability to add chips to a player's account. It's all-or-nothing, and that concerns me.
That's what I needed to know. Thank you!

I'm looking for someone who might have a poker mavens pro license or higher than might be open to helping me out. We are looking at moving our league to an online format for a couple months while the rona is raging and I'm not really keen on buying a pro license just to run a couple games but I will if I have to. What I'm hoping is someone might have one that would be willing to host our league tourneys for a couple months. Poker stars isn't really an option because of the limited customization options. We could work out whatever financial arrangement is needed to make this happen. If anyone can help me out just shoot me a PM. Thanks!

I'm looking for someone who might have a poker mavens pro license or higher than might be open to helping me out. We are looking at moving our league to an online format for a couple months while the rona is raging and I'm not really keen on buying a pro license just to run a couple games but I will if I have to. What I'm hoping is someone might have one that would be willing to host our league tourneys for a couple months. Poker stars isn't really an option because of the limited customization options. We could work out whatever financial arrangement is needed to make this happen. If anyone can help me out just shoot me a PM. Thanks!
@CraigT78

For those who play on a Poker Mavens site and also use Poker Tracker to analyze your play, I have written a hand converter that is designed to let you save Poker Mavens hand history, run through the converter, and output files that you can import to Poker Tracker 4 (PT4).

Caveats:
  • Should only work with Hold 'Em and Omaha ring games (no tournaments)
  • If your Mavens site uses table names outside ASCII, the import will fail
  • I have done some smoke testing, but could use more input ( I am not a PT4 user myself)
You can find the script here: https://github.com/yellowtongue/convert-mavens-hh

Your feedback, test cases, contributions are welcome.

For anyone who plays in a raked Mavens site... does the rake show up on the screen while players are in the pot?

For those who play on a Poker Mavens site and also use Poker Tracker to analyze your play, I have written a hand converter that is designed to let you save Poker Mavens hand history, run through the converter, and output files that you can import to Poker Tracker 4 (PT4).

Caveats:
  • Should only work with Hold 'Em and Omaha ring games (no tournaments)
  • If your Mavens site uses table names outside ASCII, the import will fail
  • I have done some smoke testing, but could use more input ( I am not a PT4 user myself)
You can find the script here: https://github.com/yellowtongue/convert-mavens-hh

Your feedback, test cases, contributions are welcome.
Any advice for a tech novice on how to run this script on a mac?

Any advice for a tech novice on how to run this script on a mac?

This could go smoothly, it might not, depending on what version of python you have installed on your Mac by default.

To find out, open a Terminal and run this command:

Code:
python --version

If this is Python version 3, we are in relatively good shape to start.

If it is 2.7, then things may require some work.

has anyone figured out a way to get Poker Mavens screen to work right...

we are transferring over from Poker Bros and alot of the guys and gal are use to the app..... curious

Have you pinged Ken Briggs on this ? I am sure he would give you the straight and skinny...

Have you pinged Ken Briggs on this ? I am sure he would give you the straight and skinny...
He does already; his documentation clearly states that giving the API access key is like opening the door and should only be done with a completely trusted entity.

He does already; his documentation clearly states that giving the API access key is like opening the door and should only be done with a completely trusted entity.

What is your thoughts on this. I am curious because it sounds like a cool tool... just have to be weary...

we are just a bunch of old farts moving from live house game to online due to covid... ours is setup but the graphics need to be fixed for us old folks LOL

What is your thoughts on this. I am curious because it sounds like a cool tool... just have to be weary...

we are just a bunch of old farts moving from live house game to online due to covid... ours is setup but the graphics need to be fixed for us old folks LOL
I think it's exactly as I said: the API key you're giving is essentially a golden ticket to your poker mavens server. There are no fine grained levels of access control; it's all or nothing:

For example, when a tourney ends, your Mavens server would send a callback to my app to notify it. My app would then request the tournament summary information from your Mavens server via an API call,

This is the problem statement. The same API key can also be used to add money into a player's account, delete a tournament, etc.

I'm not saying that the person who created the metrics website is malicious, but I'm saying that the key can be used for malicious things. Therefore, unless you know them personally, giving the key is very dangerous. Instead, it would be much better if they either:
  • Worked on a "push" mechanism only; the downside is that they wouldn't be able to gather as much information as they do now and are less useful.
  • Gave you the software to deploy on your own site; this way, you're not giving them the key; you're just setting up another piece of software that you run (and giving that software the key)
But because they wanted to make this as easy as possible for people, it opens a huge security hole.

Last edited:

“Hey, I’m a random stranger. Can I have the keys to your home and the password to your online bank account?”

That is the type of question the app developer is asking you. Sure, he promises to not rip you off, but once you give him access to the API, he can do whatever he wants.

I would politely decline his offer, then run far away,

Seems like on android devices it doesnt scale correctly. On my ipad it works great :)
The PM website has a help section, with a page dedicated to the HTML Interface, including a paragraph about Mobile Devices.

https://www.briggsoft.com/docs/pmavens/PMHelp.htm

From there:

"Even though the interface will display in portrait orientation, it will be practically unusable in that state. Android and iPhone users need to rotate their phones to landscape orientation to play. This means they must not have their device locked into portrait mode. Android users can adjust their lock status from the system menu that swipes down from the top edge. iPhone users swipe up from the bottom."

Not sure if that is your issue, but hopefully it helps.

I always use a computer screen, it is much easier for my aging eyes...

The PM website has a help section, with a page dedicated to the HTML Interface, including a paragraph about Mobile Devices.

https://www.briggsoft.com/docs/pmavens/PMHelp.htm

From there:

"Even though the interface will display in portrait orientation, it will be practically unusable in that state. Android and iPhone users need to rotate their phones to landscape orientation to play. This means they must not have their device locked into portrait mode. Android users can adjust their lock status from the system menu that swipes down from the top edge. iPhone users swipe up from the bottom."

Not sure if that is your issue, but hopefully it helps.

I always use a computer screen, it is much easier for my aging eyes...
Biggest help I found on mobile was due to something @navels posted in the WW giveaway thread.

You need to open the Poker Mavens site in the browser on the device and the 'add to home screen' from the menu. This puts the app into true full screen without any browser bars (same works for iOS devices).

Biggest help I found on mobile was due to something @navels posted in the WW giveaway thread.

You need to open the Poker Mavens site in the browser on the device and the 'add to home screen' from the menu. This puts the app into true full screen without any browser bars (same works for iOS devices).
Agreed; it's the only way to make it usable on a mobile device. But I agree that using a computer is a far superior experience.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom