NYC Subway Token Set? (1 Viewer)

HeyItsKabes

Waiting List
Reaction score
Has anyone seen a set inspired by NYC Subway tokens before? I feel like this is a layup.

I have ZERO design program skills, so apologies for not just whipping it up myself, but here is what i'm seeing in my head:

Start with the classic token design - swap out TRANSIT for POKER. Maybe scale down and move up the "nYc" so there is room beneath to put a denom. If this is a ceramic set, could probably keep the illusion of the "Y" being hollow. Colors of the set could come from the very available hex codes for MTA lines (most normal colors except black). Edges could have the express/local stop "dot" design.

Bounty plaques would look like the yellow MetroCard, but with BOUNTY as the text and PTA replacing MTA.

The Dealer Button is the only thing I'm not sold on. Maybe just the full subway map? Maybe something that reflects the subway station mosaic art?

s-l1600.jpeg
E3xaD6rVoAAaTUv.jpeg
metrocard_front.jpeg

Has anyone seen a set inspired by NYC Subway tokens before? I feel like this is a layup.

I have ZERO design program skills, so apologies for not just whipping it up myself, but here is what i'm seeing in my head:

Start with the classic token design - swap out TRANSIT for POKER. Maybe scale down and move up the "nYc" so there is room beneath to put a denom. If this is a ceramic set, could probably keep the illusion of the "Y" being hollow. Colors of the set could come from the very available hex codes for MTA lines (most normal colors except black). Edges could have the express/local stop "dot" design.

Bounty plaques would look like the yellow MetroCard, but with BOUNTY as the text and PTA replacing MTA.

The Dealer Button is the only thing I'm not sold on. Maybe just the full subway map? Maybe something that reflects the subway station mosaic art?

View attachment 1239081View attachment 1239085View attachment 1239086
The dealer button can be Gov. Hochul with clown face.

I honestly think the token would make a better dealer button. The chips could be colored after the line colors as follows

25¢ - brown (JZ)
$1 - Slate grey (L)
$5 - red (123)
$25 - green (456)
$100 - yellow with black stripes (NWQR)
$500 - purple 7
$1000 - Orange BDFM

Just a though

The token would make a killer hot stamp imo.
I’m just afraid it’ll all looks too crowded, as OP was concerned. A huge button would look cool imo. I think the chips with following the colors of the lines is a cool idea and rather than having the lines in the label, if possible they’d look really cool on the side of the chips the way some chipco chips have the denoms on the side, yk?

I’m just afraid it’ll all looks too crowded, as OP was concerned. A huge button would look cool imo. I think the chips with following the colors of the lines is a cool idea and rather than having the lines in the label, if possible they’d look really cool on the side of the chips the way some chipco chips have the denoms on the side, yk?
It wouldnt be too crowded, at all.

Why? That “Y” is great for holding the denomination in the space above it.
That’s a very good point. I’m stubborn though and wouldn’t want to let go of my button idea. It would work good as a set. Hell, maybe even a Subway map themed table topper would go well with it.

If anyone knows anything about custom buttons I might just steal the idea of using the transit token for a design

Thanks for the input everyone

I've been working with Timinater on mock ups of the token chips to be made on BR Poker Pro ceramics, with a dealer button that looks like the subway mosaics.

@NopalCoastal - love your idea about a subway map table topper. That might be the next step

Thanks for the input everyone

I've been working with Timinater on mock ups of the token chips to be made on BR Poker Pro ceramics, with a dealer button that looks like the subway mosaics.

@NopalCoastal - love your idea about a subway map table topper. That might be the next step
Woahhhh, if you get a mosaic button and need someone to hop in the order I’ll hop in on that.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom