Cash Game Novice home game mixed game structure (1 Viewer)

8xero8

Sitting Out
Reaction score
Hi so I am going to be running my first home game with my friends and we are all pretty novice players. I want to do a cash game of $20 buy-in with people having the ability to put in a maximum of $60. But I don’t think people will put more than $20 in.

That being said, I was thinking of doing .5/.10 NLHE as well as 3 mixed games - crazy pineapple, 7 card stud , and Omaha. The last two being fixed limit games. Trying to keep things simple but varied.

So this is where my question comes in, for the fixed limit games what would be a good amount to set as the SB, BB, and antes for the respective games? My main concern is potentially having people burn through their stacks too quickly, the following structure being too complicated, or not having enough of the right chips.

So for example I was thinking:

Starting stacks of $20

10x $.5
18x $.25
15x $1

Fixed limit 7 card stud

Ante: .25
Bring in : .5
Small bet: .10
Big bet: .25

Fixed limit Omaha

Small blind: .5
Big blind: .10
Big bet: .25

Thanks again for any help

Well if you're all pretty novice players I'd keep it to an either fixed or no limit structure. Especially if you're introducing stud games with a bring in and switchting starting positions it will be a lot of different betting structures and rulesets.

That being said, you can usually 3-4x the blinds from a no limit to a fixed limit game and it will play roughly the same stakes.

Well if you're all pretty novice players I'd keep it to an either fixed or no limit structure. Especially if you're introducing stud games with a bring in and switchting starting positions it will be a lot of different betting structures and rulesets.

That being said, you can usually 3-4x the blinds from a no limit to a fixed limit game and it will play roughly the same stakes.

gotcha thanks for the feedback! Things being too complicated is definitely what I am worried about so I’ll probably take the stud game out

I've had a successful fixed limit game with poker noobs that's been running since Aug 2021.

Blinds: .25/.50
Small Bet: .50
Big Bet: $1

Players buy in for $40 and win/lose about $20 on an avg night. There are occasional outlier nights - once a player was down $35, another a player was down $30.

If we ever rotate stud into the mix my plan was .10 ante and .25 bring in along with the same fixed bets.

Also, you might be light on quarters for your starting stacks. We play with 2 barrels of quarters and 30 dollars (which may be more than enough honestly) and never have to make change.

Finally, other research suggested the fixed big bet should be about 8 times your no limit big blind.

I've had a successful fixed limit game with poker noobs that's been running since Aug 2021.

Players buy in for $40 and win/lose about $20 on an avg night. There are occasional outlier nights - once a player was down $35, another a player was down $30.

If we ever rotate stud into the mix my plan was .10 ante and .25 bring in along with the same fixed bets.
Nice, yeah I wanted to do .25/.50 to make things easier but i think $20 buy in is what my group is comfortable with, which was why I was trying to figure out some wonky betting numbers

Just my 2¢ on the holdem portion...my guys like 25¢/25¢ NLHE with $20 or $25 min buy in. I know it's not a ton of BB in the stacks but we can still get a few hours out of one buy in unless someone really throws chips into pots they could never win.

We do play 25¢/50¢ too but 25¢ keeps guys in when we're just having fun and maybe when there are some newer players. We like no limit over fixed for these games because you can still get into some big hands while keeping blinds smaller.

One thing I love about this forum is the variety of suggestions on game styles. There's something that works for every group and game, just need to find it.

My guys gave me a funny look the first time I said 25¢/25¢ but they took to it quickly.

I think that's a great setup for new players you mentioned or even for someone who just wants to play some cards. No one doesn't get hurt in the wallet. Play some cards, have some fun and laughs.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom