Non-Acetone Nail Polish Remover Discoloration (1 Viewer)

mnebesny

Flush
Reaction score
I was murdering some chips and using Non-Acetone Nail Polish Remover and accidentally splashed a bit on the not-inlay part of the face of the chip...and it completely discolored the chip. I've used lots of NANPR before, even on AS $20s and never seen anything like this. This isn't even a new bottle, I used the same bottle one some other chips a while back and never got anything like this. This is why I always do a test chip first...it's mostly only noticable on the edge spots
PXL_20220815_040542529.jpg

PXL_20220815_040526277.jpg

The weird part is, it turned the nail polish remover bright pink...never seen that before either.
PXL_20220815_040823990.jpg

For context, this is what I've been using. I thought it was the same kind I was using on my last batch of AS $20s, but it's a new bottle, so maybe they changed the formula or something
PXL_20220815_040835786.jpg

Is it possible that it just dried it out? Have you tried a small amount of mineral oil on the discoloration?

Yep, like others have said certain colors are more prone to that than others. My experience, and I have a lot of it, is that older chips are also more likely than new chips to experience this too. Purple is especially prone to it, but I have had this happen on Arc Yellow, Orange, Canary, some greens & blues too.

Best thing to do is when doing chips you have never done before, just start out with 1 or 2 max & like others have said, use an eye dropper & don't use too much. If you overfill that center recess, then you'll run into this problem if your chips happen to be prone to discoloration.

Did anyone find a good way to fix NPR splashing? Had a couple of accidents on my Paris $1's. I put the chips into question right into warm water and soap and it took the initial "smear" off, but if I look closely at it, it's still a bit discolored from the rest of the chip. Would an ultrasonic bath remedy this?

Did anyone find a good way to fix NPR splashing? Had a couple of accidents on my Paris $1's. I put the chips into question right into warm water and soap and it took the initial "smear" off, but if I look closely at it, it's still a bit discolored from the rest of the chip. Would an ultrasonic bath remedy this?
I haven't tried US, but I have scrubbed them with a toothbrush and some dawn dish soap and then used some mineral oil. It didn't completely 100% make the stain disappear, but it did lessen it enough that I was mostly satisfied.

The best solution is to just not let it happen in the 1st place. Use an eye dropper and make sure you don't overfill the center onto the rim where it will be seen.

I haven't tried US, but I have scrubbed them with a toothbrush and some dawn dish soap and then used some mineral oil. It didn't completely 100% make the stain disappear, but it did lessen it enough that I was mostly satisfied.

The best solution is to just not let it happen in the 1st place. Use an eye dropper and make sure you don't overfill the center onto the rim where it will be seen.
That's exactly what I did this evening and had pretty good success. My only concern is that when I throw them in the ultrasonic, I may have to apply another coat of mineral oil.

I used an eyedropper last time I did inlay replacement but couldn't find it for the life of me, had to use Q-tips this time.

That's exactly what I did this evening and had pretty good success.
Nice!

My only concern is that when I throw them in the ultrasonic, I may have to apply another coat of mineral oil.
If you are picky about the look of your chips a post US application of mineral oil is usually necessary.

I used an eyedropper last time I did inlay replacement but couldn't find it for the life of me, had to use Q-tips this time.
Note to self: go buy an eyedropper and use it, especially on older chips.

Nice!

If you are picky about the look of your chips a post US application of mineral oil is usually necessary.I

Note to self: go buy an eyedropper and use it, especially on older chips.
That's what I figured. Just wanted to see if putting the chips through a wash and oiling would get rid of the smears, and they did, at least to a point they're not noticeable.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom