New Poker Table (1 Viewer)

@Darthhoodie question about re-felting. Did you buy one long piece and cut it in half, or two pieces for both ends of the table?

The stuff I bought came in 3 yard rolls. It's the real deal speed cloth, not felt or that mouse pad stuff. I can't speak about the stuff linked above but the speed cloth is real easy to work with.
The cloth itself is not in the same league as the original felt that came with the table. It's like comparing dice chips to Paulsons. The only issue is the printed suites are a little off that's why its half the cost of the good stuff. It's the same material as the good stuff, just with a slightly irregular print job. Notice how the suites aren't perfectly symmetrical in design. For a backup travel table it's fine. I used it twice and no one noticed it but me.

close-up-jpg.139743

@Jonesey07 Just take it slow and if you don't like the way a section is coming, just remove a few staples and try again. The cloth is relatively thick so it's real forgiving.

I'm gonna do another one of these soon, this time I will document the upholstery work.

Things I will do different next time:
Use the regular speed cloth. It's not that much more money and the irregular print does tilt me a little.
Install deeper cup holders. The ones that come with the table are too shallow.
Install handles. The table is heavy and hard to move around.

Things I will do different next time:
Use the regular speed cloth. It's not that much more money and the irregular print does tilt me a little.
Install deeper cup holders. The ones that come with the table are too shallow.
Install handles. The table is heavy and hard to move around.

I want to do some deeper cup holders as well...let me know if you find some that work well and the thing can still close!

The stuff I bought came in 3 yard rolls. It's the real deal speed cloth, not felt or that mouse pad stuff. I can't speak about the stuff linked above but the speed cloth is real easy to work with.
The cloth itself is not in the same league as the original felt that came with the table. It's like comparing dice chips to Paulsons. The only issue is the printed suites are a little off that's why its half the cost of the good stuff. It's the same material as the good stuff, just with a slightly irregular print job. Notice how the suites aren't perfectly symmetrical in design.

So you used a yard for both ends when you seperated the table, or is it one long speed cloth?

Looks really good! For anybody else thinking about going this route, consider upgrading to a piano hinge with screws as long as possible. It's easy to put a huge amount of stress on those connections by putting elbow weight on the middle of the rail.

Can you elaborate?

Can you elaborate?
hinge-jpg.139730

Those three hinges don't support each other that well. Plus, the screws are only long enough to go into the blocks, which are glued to the MDF material that forms the table top. A long continuous hinge with screws going all the way through the block and into (but not through) the MDF top will be much stronger. Use some shims to fill in the existing hinge mortises, if you want.

033923838481.jpg

Staple gun. I wish I took some picks of that process but I am not the best at upholstery work. The final result is good but getting there is a bit of a struggle.

What size staples did you use?

Staple gun. I wish I took some picks of that process but I am not the best at upholstery work. The final result is good but getting there is a bit of a struggle.
Reading your post got me inspired to attempt to upgrade my table (same exact one) this weekend. When you were stabling the cloth to the table, did you have someone assist with holding down the other end? Did you use clamps? This part of the process has me nervous but I am going to dive into it anyway. Great post, @Darthhoodie

Reading your post got me inspired to attempt to upgrade my table (same exact one) this weekend. When you were stabling the cloth to the table, did you have someone assist with holding down the other end? Did you use clamps? This part of the process has me nervous but I am going to dive into it anyway. Great post, @Darthhoodie

I did not have help, but I would use clamps if I did it again. Glad you found this post helpful (y) :thumbsup:

Reactions: BTG
I'll be getting one of these soon and doing the same thing. So glad some others did this first. The first thing I thought when I saw this table was "hrm, I wonder if I can redo this with speed cloth".

Yeah thanks so much @Darthhoodie ! I've been eyeing these tables (since I can't fit an 8'x4' anywhere) but always hated the stock cloth on them. Not sure how confident I'd be doing this myself so if you're ever in the Boston area and want to make a some $$$ or drink some IPAs hit me up :D

I'll be getting one of these soon and doing the same thing. So glad some others did this first. The first thing I thought when I saw this table was "hrm, I wonder if I can redo this with speed cloth".
Yeah thanks so much @Darthhoodie ! I've been eyeing these tables (since I can't fit an 8'x4' anywhere) but always hated the stock cloth on them. Not sure how confident I'd be doing this myself so if you're ever in the Boston area and want to make a some $$$ or drink some IPAs hit me up :D

Post your results here, along with step by step instructions so that other people learn!

https://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/barrington-poker-table-thread.30910/

I took a stab at this myself last weekend and I am extremely pleased with the results. I followed @Darthhoodie’s post and did this over the course of about three days (mostly working on it when the kid went to bed). I have two of these Barrington tables and my plan is to do the second one in either red or burgundy. Making the cloth as snug as possible is definitely the most tedious part (my wife helped with that, she pulled and I stapled). Had a game last night and one of my friends said playing on the second table was like “dealing in grass” compared to the new one with the SSC. If you have this table or if you are looking into buying a table, I cannot stress enough how much of a difference this makes. Our game had a much more official feel to it with the new cloth. If I can do this, ANYONE can do this.

Attachments

• 98154FEE-FC95-4117-B9F7-B1F99C6791A5.jpeg
    98154FEE-FC95-4117-B9F7-B1F99C6791A5.jpeg
    172.8 KB · Views: 419
  • C695C984-2956-4BCE-94C9-8AC86970FB22.jpeg
    C695C984-2956-4BCE-94C9-8AC86970FB22.jpeg
    130.7 KB · Views: 441
  • 7B2289E9-2433-463E-9EB6-E11FBD97A7E2.jpeg
    7B2289E9-2433-463E-9EB6-E11FBD97A7E2.jpeg
    199.7 KB · Views: 435
  • 6CE5D7B6-F728-4A74-8D93-E037A6ECA7ED.jpeg
    6CE5D7B6-F728-4A74-8D93-E037A6ECA7ED.jpeg
    253.8 KB · Views: 440
  • C0C886CA-C1FE-4E31-8939-E4BBF7715516.jpeg
    C0C886CA-C1FE-4E31-8939-E4BBF7715516.jpeg
    169.1 KB · Views: 454
I took a stab at this myself last weekend and I am extremely pleased with the results. I followed @Darthhoodie’s post and did this over the course of about three days (mostly working on it when the kid went to bed). I have two of these Barrington tables and my plan is to do the second one in either red or burgundy. Making the cloth as snug as possible is definitely the most tedious part (my wife helped with that, she pulled and I stapled). Had a game last night and one of my friends said playing on the second table was like “dealing in grass” compared to the new one with the SSC. If you have this table or if you are looking into buying a table, I cannot stress enough how much of a difference this makes. Our game had a much more official feel to it with the new cloth. If I can do this, ANYONE can do this.

Nice, I havent been able to play on it yet but I threw a deck of cards across it one at a time in amazement. They just glide with ease.

For all you SSC fans, just wait until you've tried gaming suede!
I have a tri-fold table top with SSC and despite the double bump it’s still awesome but can’t wait to trick a Barrington table out and definitely aiming to do the ESPN one with the lighting

Reactions: BTG

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom