Cash Game *New Poker Host Needing Advice* $0.25/$0.25 eventually $0.25/$0.50 NLHE Home Cash Game (1 Viewer)

Then what are $2.50 chips mainly used for then? Why even have them? Doesn't seem like they would fit to well in a limit or even a NL game?

5/10 limit is what I always thought the number 1 use for them was....makes sense it would be for blackjack.

I agree that neither the 2 nor the 2.50 chip has a place at a nl table for current normally spread stakes.

I agree that neither the 2 nor the 2.50 chip has a place at a nl table for current normally spread stakes.

If I ever add two dollar chips to my set, I have toyed with the idea of spreading 0.50-1 with just 0.50 chips and 2 chips. In terms of chip volume, it would be similar to 1-2 NL spread with just ones and fives or for that matter 0.25-0.50 spread with quarters and singles. But I get the feeling players would rather just always have a chip for a single in play.

If I ever add two dollar chips to my set, I have toyed with the idea of spreading 0.50-1 with just 0.50 chips and 2 chips. In terms of chip volume, it would be similar to 1-2 NL spread with just ones and fives or for that matter 0.25-0.50 spread with quarters and singles. But I get the feeling players would rather just always have a chip for a single in play.
pretty sure that would tilt most of your non-chipping friends! "I'll bet $25.....shit. Check that, I bet $26.......what do you mean I checked????"

And despite what everybody tells me here, there's no sane reason why a $2/$4 game shouldn't be played with $2 chips (with a few $1's on the table for small blinds.)
Is this for a $2/$4 fixed limit game? What are the typical blinds for fixed limit games. “Few ones on the table” made me say what are the blinds?

Browsing this forum HARD for a couple weeks now. And am learning a lot. I understand the betting now on fixed limit and also found out what I had imagined in my head was a spread limit. Just trying to gain knowledge!

Would you use or have you used a snapper in a home game?

uhh yes it’s fun if the game is limit!

4DAEDFF2-2657-456F-B58E-742BD5D55494.jpeg

Is this for a $2/$4 fixed limit game? What are the typical blinds for fixed limit games. “Few ones on the table” made me say what are the blinds?

Browsing this forum HARD for a couple weeks now. And am learning a lot. I understand the betting now on fixed limit and also found out what I had imagined in my head was a spread limit. Just trying to gain knowledge!
In the fixed limit games I've played, if you were playing holdem or omaha $2/4, the small blind would be $1. (Big blind is $2 - the same size as the small bet.)
It gets more complicated with the stud games because you have antes and bring-ins. The sizes of those vary, but I think a bring-in is typically 1/4 the small bet, and the ante may be that same size or smaller. So you'd need ANOTHER smaller chip for those games.
Whereas, if you're using $1 chips for a $4/8 game, you can use the buck for the ante and the bring-in and there's no smaller chips needed.

In the fixed limit games I've played, if you were playing holdem or omaha $2/4, the small blind would be $1. (Big blind is $2 - the same size as the small bet.)
It gets more complicated with the stud games because you have antes and bring-ins. The sizes of those vary, but I think a bring-in is typically 1/4 the small bet, and the ante may be that same size or smaller. So you'd need ANOTHER smaller chip for those games.
Whereas, if you're using $1 chips for a $4/8 game, you can use the buck for the ante and the bring-in and there's no smaller chips needed.

Dealer ante solves this problem. 3 chips for 5 plus players, 2 chips for less. Bring in is 1 chip, 2 chips completes the bet, then proceed as normal.

Also, limit circus game fun at meet up game!

Attachments

• IMG_20200229_172531450.jpg
    IMG_20200229_172531450.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 58
And despite what everybody tells me here, there's no sane reason why a $2/$4 game shouldn't be played with $2 chips (with a few $1's on the table for small blinds.)

Yes, the OP there was talking about fixed limit; he was replying to someone who explicitly said "limit". $2/$4 means the small bet (pre-flop and flop) is $2 and the big bet (turn and river) is $4. For a flop game like hold'em or omaha, the big blind is normally equal to a bet (meaning the small bet, i.e. $2 here) and the small blind is normally equal to half a bet (meaning half the small bet, i.e. $1 here).

Some fixed limit games are played with a three-chip / six-chip structure, i.e. $3/$6 with a dollar chip being the lowest denom in play. In such games, the big blind is equal to a bet (the small bet, $3) and the small blind is either one chip or two chips (one-third or two-thirds the small bet, $1 or $2). But in most games the small bet is evenly divisible by two into a convenient number of chips, so the small blind is half the small bet.

So the OP here is suggesting that a $2/$4 game be played as a one-chip / two-chip game using $2 chips, which means you'd need a limited number of "half-a-chip" chips ($1 chips) in order to post the small blinds. Since all other bets besides the small blinds would be in multiples of $2, the $1 chips would never see any use other than posting the small blinds. This works, but most people prefer two-chip/four-chip, three-chip/six-chip, or even four-chip/eight-chip games. But hey, different strokes for different folks.

Background: I had been playing at a game which did $20 buy-ins and a rack contained 20x$0.25, 10x$0.50, and 10x$1.00 chips. The dealer would ante for everyone (0.25/player). We didn't play much due to a lack of players, and when I suggested creating a poker pool in my community, the home owner did not wish for people he did not know in his home. I respectfully told him I will host sessions until he is comfortable with the people then we could possibly rotate hosts. *A few of my friends are new to the game therefore I wish to keep the stakes low, at least at first.* I have recently built a table which will fit 8 players comfortably, and can squeeze 10. Eventually (5-10 years from now) I will build a second table.

Goal: 0.25/0.25 NLHE with no antes ($10-$25 buy-ins, unlimited re buys) and eventually 0.25/0.50 NLHE with no antes ($20-$50 buy-ins, unlimited re buys)

I was lent a set to play with until I save up enough to buy the custom poker chip set that I would like.
Current Chip Set: No denomination chips, 200xWhite 200xRed 101xGreen 99xBlack chips.
Future Chip Set: 1000 chips of 3-4 custom made denomination chips
I understand that 1000 chips may be over kill for now, but I figured if I was getting custom made chips, it would be best to never have to get anymore in the future.

QUESTION/HELP: *with taking into consideration the above information*
1. Does my goal seem a little ridiculous with no antes? How would you adjust this?
2. With the current amount of chips, which values should I assign to each color for the NLHE games, and how many should be given out in a rack? (I'm assuming a majority will buy in for $20 in 0.25/0.25 and $40 for 0.25/0.50)
3. When I do save up enough, what would the ideal set (# of chips/value of different denomination chips) be for my intended games? Should I save longer and purchase a larger amount of chips since I intend on building a second table?
4. How should racks be distributed with the FUTURE CHIP SET, similar to question #2?

Thank you for taking the time to read this thread,
JustAnotherFishie ><>

My experience here is that you should just focus on .25 cent chips, no need for a .50 Cent chip at all.
1s 5s 25s call it a day.

Depends if you want a lot of chips at the table, if so, get a lot of ones... if not... focus on the fives. I personally like a bunch of ones on the table, let people stack up... pushing barrels around and scooping the occasional monster pot. But it does slow things down a bit.

2 racks of quarters per table is more than enough.

Yes, that works.

I normally wouldn't recommend green quarters because green is typically reserved for a 25 chip, but because you are using 20 instead, it's fine and it's good that you chose yellow for 20 to make sure it's different from a standard 25. I think most PCFers that use 20 over 25 go with yellow. (I did both 20s and 25s for my customs, see link in signature.)

I might be a little concerned about confusion between ivory and yellow, which is just my plug for #TeamBlueDollar, meaning maybe pick blue chips for the single?

But otherwise, I think your plan looks good. You have enough for two table 0.25-0.25 and 0.25-0.50 certainly. You are probably good for at least one table of 1-1 when time to experiment comes, if you actually get to a point where you would be two tabling 1-1 you may find you are a bit tight on fives, but you may not.
What color would you recommend for quarters if you would eventually do $25 greens?

What color would you recommend for quarters if you would eventually do $25 greens?

Lots of colours could potentially work.

If the $1 is white, then go for something bright and colourful that won't clash with your $5.

If the $1 is blue, then try out some neutral base colours.

Reactions: BPB

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom