New Jack Chips - Clean and Oil, or just Oil? (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
Just wondering what the majority of people are doing with the new Jack chips. I started oiling a few barrels and noticed dust coming off of the chips onto my rag. Any harm in just oiling them or should I Ultrasonic them first?

I haven’t put mine in play yet, but I suspect that after a game or two, the natural oils from players’ hand will suffice.

Why would you oil mint Paulsons. Can’t say I’ve ever even considered it. I like a bit of chalkiness on them, but the colours usually are fine.

Cpcs on the other hand look much brighter when you oil them.

Oil, Ultrasonic?
Brand new never touched chalky Paulsons?

Last edited:
Just wondering what the majority of people are doing with the new Jack chips. I started oiling a few barrels and noticed dust coming off of the chips onto my rag. Any harm in just oiling them or should I Ultrasonic them first?
I'm glad someone asked, cuz I was wondering the same thing, never had minty chips before lol

I went ahead and oiled 4 barrels of each color I have (except white). The left barrel in each rack is un-oiled. There is a slight difference and the colors do seem to pop a little more. However I suspect with play they would probably look the same.

Wipe the edges down with a damp rag -- damp with water, not oil. That's it. I don't think it helps the chips themselves, but it will keep the dust from accumulating on players' hands the first time the chips see the felt.

Reactions: ovo
Oil away! A light layer on the edges of barrels for new chips. Why not put a layer of protection into the clay before people's hands start touching them. The color saturation benefit to mint chips may not be as noticeable as oiling chalky, cleaned, dry chips, but I'm in the pro-oil camp. Use a rag, but barely damp with mineral oil. Mineral oil does not go rancid, like other food/vegetable based oils. The rag will last for months for lightly oiling other chips and re-oiling edges.

I went ahead and oiled 4 barrels of each color I have (except white). The left barrel in each rack is un-oiled. There is a slight difference and the colors do seem to pop a little more. However I suspect with play they would probably look the same.

View attachment 268413View attachment 268414View attachment 268415
Noticed you took the time to carefully swirl all the edge spots on the oiled chips but not on the others? Great looking chips with or without the oil. Congrats

Anyone ever tested beeswax on top of the oiled chips before? Just curious. Search came out with nil results

if anyone plans to overlabel, wipe them down first. i’ve found that on factory fresh cancuns and cincy secondaries, the labels are lifting around the edges after a couple weeks, most likely due to factory dust or some kind of mold release on the chips. no issues with all the other near mint (cleaned and dried chips) in my set

I have tried mixing newly-acquired chalky Paulson solids with lightly oiled solids of the same color in my game, and it takes forever for their colors to converge. So I usually end up oiling the chalky ones.

Apparently I am not serving enough greasy food.

Once you begin using them the oils from everyone's hands will do the same.

Last edited:
I am a big fan of oiling freshly cleaned chips (the cleaning process seems to really dry them out), that said, I haven't oiled any of the Jack chips and don't play to until I have to clean them in a couple years.

anyone rinse em in warm water and dry them just to get the dust and chalky particles off? i feel like that chalky dust particles is what causes the color transfer and a rinse down in warm water and drying would help prevent that.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom