New CPC set cleaning (1 Viewer)

chipdave

Sitting Out
Reaction score
Hi,
recently I've purchased a new 300 Chesterfield set from CPC, when I opened the boxes I see that the chips have a sort of dust on them
long story short, since it's a new set how can I correctly clean the chips by hand without the risk of damage?

All of my new CPCs (and ASM before those) got a quick rinse in plain old tap water and the spray wand attached to the sink. After that, a light application of mineral oil to the edges helps make the colors pop. @doublebooyah85 's note above is correct, a quick search will give you more info. My only advice is less oil is the proper way to go. I have about 14k ASM/CPC chips across several different sets and still have oil left in the original bottle I bought more than 10 years ago even after a couple re-oilings after having to clean the chips.

[EDIT to add more] I have a plastic collinder that I put the chips in, about 50 or 60 at a time, when I spray the factory dust off the chips. I then lay them out on a beach towel and pat them dry with another towel for the "cleaning" part of the process. They really shouldn't need anything more than that.

Last edited:
I liked someone’s suggesting of having the mineral oil on your handed and just that little bit of oil from your hands to lather up the chips is more than enough. I’ve done that. Less is better you can always add
more.

not that you would want to do it for a whole set, but this is the difference just shuffling makes:

20220603_085201.jpg

oh but to actually answer your question, put a tiny dab of mineral oil on a rag, and just rub it onto the edges of ~10 chips at a time. you can do the faces too, but it's not really worth it IMO.

Last edited:
Thx, so just spray clear water on the chips, let them dry and then oïl ?
That's what I do. Just the sprayer at the kitchen sink with tap cold water out of the tap. I do this in batches of 50 or so, shake the excess water off in a plastic collinder so the water drains off, then dry them off with a towel or two before oiling.

Again, it may not matter, but I like getting the factory dust off before applying the oil. Even rinsed off, I see a little bit of color on the paper towels I use to apply the oil and I'm pretty sure that still some factory dust that didn't come off in the rinse. I don't see this in chips that I have previously oiled, used and have decided to wash for whatever reason (spills, etc.). There's still some leftover after the rinse, but it has to be a lot less than without.

Good luck and enjoy. You'll be amazed at the difference the chips have after a very gentle oiling of the rolling edges. It's a day and night difference.

Thanks very much guys for the tips!
Today there's some work to do, the plan is to apply the mineral oil with a microfiber towel.... I was thinking to make a first run oiling one by one each face excluding the inlay with the technique I've read, then a second run taking piles of 10 chips and apply the oil on the sides
Here some pics before the cure:
20220904_075456.jpg

20220904_075432.jpg

Don’t oil the faces on new CPC chips, edges only. Any dust on them I’d just use a brush to get it off first.

Don’t oil the faces on new CPC chips, edges only. Any dust on them I’d just use a brush to get it off first.
The faces of CPC's don't need oil. If there is any factory dust trapped in the recesses of the mold, I'll use a dry toothbrush to sweep it away, though the rinse that I do as part of the initial "wash" usually takes care of that.

The half-barrel of ten chips is what I use when I'm doing a first oil. Remember, you don't need to use a lot, and often just a drop or two as the towel starts to seem dry based on what you see happening to the chips is all you really need.

Have fun!!

(I see these are no-molds, so not a concern for you).

Finished the first round oiling the sides in stacks of tens... I've put some drops of oil on a side of the cloth, oiled the chips, then rubbed them again on the other clean side to remove the oil in excess.

Having not cleaned them first I've noticed, even if these chip don't have mold that the faces of some of them have some dust/dirt residuals so, I'm making a second round rubbing the faces excluding the inlay one by one with the cloth part that I've used to remove the exceeding oil before.

Can oiling be done without cleaning out the dust first ?
Yes and that is the preferred method. “Cleaning” off the dust isn’t necessary prior to oiling. Just apply a small amount of oil to a clean cloth rag, grab 10 chips at a time and run the rag around the edge. Finished.

Ended the oiling/cleaning leaving the chips 1 and half day on the drying rack and then stored until their debut on a real game:
20220905_221727.jpg

The bag is a common tool bag recently bought at the hardware store, having destroyed a faux leather case and later a wooden one in the past this time I have opted for something more sturdy, maybe not beautiful but it has a very comfortable shoulder belt, can hold 400 and more chips plus 2 double decks of playing cards and 2 electronic timers.
The chip holders I'm using they are the ones from Spinetti's and can hold 20 chips each, can't stop to recommend them as I found to be very practical for my needings:
https://spinettisgaming.com/products/41mm-chip-tube?_pos=1&_sid=03f3d3003&_ss=r

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom