Cash Game New Chipper - Feedback on chip setup (1 Viewer)

tightsqueeze

Waiting List
Reaction score
Hi All,

New to the community and have spent about a week with some Apache samples. I really love the feel of the Majestic, and I think the colours for the low-limit game I host are prettier than the Royals (which are also very nice), especially for the $0.25 chips.

I typically host a home game with 6-9 players (every now and then we have a 10th) and play a $20 or $40 buy in cash game (we usually decide day of depending on who shows up). Some guys just play until they go bust and others top up when they get below 1/2 stack. Most players don't have a strong preference for stack depth, though I imagine those who don't top up would be happier with ~100BB starting stacks.

I am thinking of building a chip set to replace my current plastic dice chips, and I think the best way to run it is .25/,25 when the group decides on a smaller buy-in, and .25/.50 when we go with a bigger buy-in. Does this sound like a good chip set to support this structure?

125 x $.25
250 x $1
25 x $5

Thanks!

Thank you for the feedback - not limited by chips necessarily, and that's exactly the math I was missing! thank you! anything else I may not be thinking about?

Thank you for the feedback - not limited by chips necessarily, and that's exactly the math I was missing! thank you! anything else I may not be thinking about?
A lot of people like this 600 chip breakdown:

100 x frac (25c or 50c)
200 x $1
200 x $5
80 x $25
20 x $100

I also generally build my sets around this breakdown, but you can easily adjust it depending on how your players bet. For instance, if it goes 8 ways to a flop quite often, you may need more fracs in play.
Just having 25 x $25s will give you so much extra "emergency" bank, you'll probably be fine.

You may like something more along the lines of:

125 x 25c = $30
250 x $1 = $250
200 x $5 = $1000
25 x $25 = $625

Or a 500 chip:

100 x 25c = $25
200 x $1 = $200
175 x $5 = $875
25 x $25 = $625

Just play around with the numbers and make sure you have enough bank for your game.

This is the exact thinking that can get you into REAL trouble ‘round here. :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:
haha, okay some limit as I don't want to have to clear up more closet space, and I am content with the price/quality of the Majestics
for me, this is the ideal breakdown for a $0.25/$0.50 set that can handle $1/$2 if you're feeling frisky.
Thanks, appreciate the feed back here. We will probably never get up to $1/$2 as this is a very friendly monthly game, most guys come here assuming they lose 1-2 buy-ins for fun, and I know all their wives/girlfriends, I'm confident the game would break if that became $200-$400/week. I'd probably skip the $100 for this reason, and maybe invest that into more $1 chips.

What is a "frac", btw?

Thanks, appreciate the feed back here. We will probably never get up to $1/$2 as this is a very friendly monthly game, most guys come here assuming they lose 1-2 buy-ins for fun, and I know all their wives/girlfriends, I'm confident the game would break if that became $200-$400/week. I'd probably skip the $100 for this reason, and maybe invest that into more $1 chips.

What is a "frac", btw?

i never actually use my $100s either, but it's the completionist in me "just in case" - i'd rather have $100 chips and not need them than need $100 chips and not have them ;)

frac = fractional chip

For 0.25-0.25 and 0.25-0.50, if you are only doing 400 chips it pretty much has to be 100/200/100 of 0.25/1/5

I think 25s and 100s are absolutely absurd unless you think you will be hosting at least 0.50-1 or 1-2. But it sounds like you aren't considering this high anyway.

I would favor a 600 chip set of 100/300/200 of 0.25/1/5 for a single table to make sure there are plenty of chips. Bank 1325 is 26 buy ins of 50. Enough chips to average 2 buy ins per player is usually good, 3 per player is almost always more than enough.

If you do want to get chips for higher stakes like 1-2, add more fives and then you can look at the twenty-fives and hundreds.

Good luck, welcome to PCF

Last edited:
You could get a barrel or 2 of the $25s and use them solely as rebuy chips to make change at the table

I would not worry about the $100 at those stakes but don’t skip the $25. Especially if you don’t plan for $1/$2. Just the 25c chip works great. No need for that and a 50c. The $1 chip will be the workhorse chip as long as there are enough fracs to post blinds. I would be happy with either of the 500/600 count proposed by markleteenie.

Not trying to spam this, but this CHIP CALCULATOR I made can help you with your bank/chips/cost per player/overall

I put some of your numbers into calculator #5, as well as recommendations here.
Thanks for this - I was playing around a bit before I posted but I don’t think I knew enough to know what I was trying to calculate! This is very helpful, really appreciate you putting those scenarios in there.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom