My 43mm hybrid Greek Tina/justin review (3 Viewers)

upNdown

Royal Flush
Reaction score
These are the first Tina chips I’ve touched since the 39mm cards mold chips and I’m shocked at how good they are. I’m sitting here alternating shuffles between a stack of these and a stack of 43mm leaded Paulsons and I’m just blown away by how comparable they feel. (And by the way, these are great shufflers.)
IMG_0048.jpeg

IMG_0049.png

I’m going to assume the amazing feel of these chips is mostly due to the texture? I used to have a set of Sunfly 43mm hybrids and those felt great, but no comparison to these. Those were ceramics that almost felt like plastics. These are ceramics that almost feel like clays. They come in just over 11 grams apiece.

In another thread somebody laughed at me, saying they feel and sound nothing like 43mm Paulsons. I disagree. I think they feel and sound VERY MUCH like 43mm Paulsons. I’ve been thinking about putting together a 43mm tournament set for some time now, and the only acceptable options to me would have been CPC or Paulson NAGBs. Given the price point of these things, I’m laughing at the idea of NAGBs, and sadly of CPCs too. These are just that good.
As far as durability goes, there’s plenty of reason for concern. These are new; we don’t know how they’ll wear, but we know how ceramics fade and lose their color when they get a lot of use. But on the other hand, I don’t know how many home games put THAT much wear on chips, so it wouldn’t be a concern for me.
Also there’s this. I may have hit it with the scissors when I was opening the bag.
IMG_0051.png

I see a lot of people saying that these are good chips for beginners, or gateway chips. I just want to stress that after playing around with them for an hour, I think they’re a lot more than that. My main cash set is a mix of 39mm and 43mm leaded Paulsons. I’ve owned multiple leaded THC sets, I’ve owned leaded and unleaded RHCs, I’ve owned IHCs, I’ve had samples of CPCs both 39mm and 43mm and played on multiple CPC sets. I’ve owned BCCs, I’ve owned Chipcos, Sunfly Hybrids, brpropoker, and vintage clays. So I have some experience handling chips and I’m telling you, if I were to give 43mm leaded Paulsons a 10 and 43mm unleaded Paulsons a 9, these things are in the 8-9 range, as far as handling feel and sound go. No BS.

(Please don’t take anything I’ve written here as an endorsement of copies. I hate copies, like the ones pictured here. I have opinions and arguments but I’ll spare you. Just don’t get a set of copies like these. Create your own design or buy one that uses original art.)

i have the same feeling about the web molds - they are just plain awesome, especially for the price. i've never touched the greek mold, but i would imagine they are comparable since they are the same "generation" of tina chips.

I’ve had a couple chip pretty badly when dropped on a concrete floor, but I agree with your assessment of these very nice, affordable chips.

These are the first Tina chips I’ve touched since the 39mm cards mold chips and I’m shocked at how good they are. I’m sitting here alternating shuffles between a stack of these and a stack of 43mm leaded Paulsons and I’m just blown away by how comparable they feel. (And by the way, these are great shufflers.)
View attachment 1317759
View attachment 1317760

I’m going to assume the amazing feel of these chips is mostly due to the texture? I used to have a set of Sunfly 43mm hybrids and those felt great, but no comparison to these. Those were ceramics that almost felt like plastics. These are ceramics that almost feel like clays. They come in just over 11 grams apiece.

In another thread somebody laughed at me, saying they feel and sound nothing like 43mm Paulsons. I disagree. I think they feel and sound VERY MUCH like 43mm Paulsons. I’ve been thinking about putting together a 43mm tournament set for some time now, and the only acceptable options to me would have been CPC or Paulson NAGBs. Given the price point of these things, I’m laughing at the idea of NAGBs, and sadly of CPCs too. These are just that good.
As far as durability goes, there’s plenty of reason for concern. These are new; we don’t know how they’ll wear, but we know how ceramics fade and lose their color when they get a lot of use. But on the other hand, I don’t know how many home games put THAT much wear on chips, so it wouldn’t be a concern for me.
Also there’s this. I may have hit it with the scissors when I was opening the bag.
View attachment 1317766

I see a lot of people saying that these are good chips for beginners, or gateway chips. I just want to stress that after playing around with them for an hour, I think they’re a lot more than that. My main cash set is a mix of 39mm and 43mm leaded Paulsons. I’ve owned multiple leaded THC sets, I’ve owned leaded and unleaded RHCs, I’ve owned IHCs, I’ve had samples of CPCs both 39mm and 43mm and played on multiple CPC sets. I’ve owned BCCs, I’ve owned Chipcos, Sunfly Hybrids, brpropoker, and vintage clays. So I have some experience handling chips and I’m telling you, if I were to give 43mm leaded Paulsons a 10 and 43mm unleaded Paulsons a 9, these things are in the 8-9 range, as far as handling feel and sound go. No BS.

(Please don’t take anything I’ve written here as an endorsement of copies. I hate copies, like the ones pictured here. I have opinions and arguments but I’ll spare you. Just don’t get a set of copies like these. Create your own design or buy one that uses original art.)
Try the web mold, I think they are even better.

As someone who loves my no molds and will use them into the ground, I have no idea why anyone would pick them over the new hybrids. No buyer's remorse, love my set, but at this point its a very clear choice even if for no other reason than preventing spinners.

Agreed these are stunning. I was so shocked to get my 43mm web mold sample. The texture is unbelievably good. Will they replace old school lead to me? No. But they certainly but a ton of pressure on a high end plastic. Why ever pay $2.50 a pop for abbiatis when these exist?

Anyone have a tech for removing the little injection mold points? That's my only gripe with em

Agreed these are stunning. I was so shocked to get my 43mm web mold sample. The texture is unbelievably good. Will they replace old school lead to me? No. But they certainly but a ton of pressure on a high end plastic. Why ever pay $2.50 a pop for abbiatis when these exist?

Anyone have a tech for removing the little injection mold points? That's my only gripe with em
It’s funny you mention Abiattis - I just commented on another thread about the China clay Royals samples that I also received today - those chips remind me a bit of Abiattis. And for the record, Abiattis are the best plastics I’ve felt. But they’re just too expensive and honestly I wouldn’t love them at any price.
These hybrids feel like clay but at a fraction of the price. I agree that they wouldnt replace old school lead for me either, but that might be because I already own lead. If I had to pay today prices, I might reconsider that position.
I can’t imagine paying tiger prices, knowing these exist. But people pay for different things - Tigers have a status all their own especially for somebody who doesn’t own Paulson yet or who wants to move up the Paulson hierarchy. Tigers also have a color advantage over hybrids, without a doubt. But personally I’m much more into the feel of chips than the bright colors. And these chips feel really really good.

Almost entirely in agreement with all of this. 43mm Greeks are unreal really.

The OG cards mold had issues with texture wearing in a semi regular home game making them slippery, but the texture on these does seem much stronger.

Will I order a set? Probably not. Though I was very tempted once I handled them. If I didn’t have an over abundance of chips I probably would.

Last edited:
I got the 39mm web mold, looking forward to their arrival sometime soon. I'd love to have clay, but I just can't talk myself into spending what I would need to spend to get the same set I just did in the hybrids web mold. Hoping that I am as impressed with them as you are. Thanks for the review!

Thanks for the review.

I’m just confused why 39mm Tinas should be compared with 43mm Paulsons. Wouldn’t a 39-to-39 comparison be more relevant?

Soon I will have both a Greek key mold and a web mold Tina set. In addition I have a Chipco set, 2 CPC sets, a BCC set, and a Paulson set. Why do I keep looking at the Classifieds??????

I have both Web and Greek mold samples and the Web is as good if not better. I am a clay guy with more Paulsons and CPC'S than I will ever use but these impressed me enough to order 1200 of the 43mm Web (because of the larger inlay). I still prefer the feel and shuffle of clay, but as you mentioned, these are pretty darn good. The selling point of these, in my opinion, is the ability to create basically anything you can imagine. My goal was to create something I could never find by Paulson or something I could never create with CPC...so having that ability was THE selling point to me. At .52 Cents per chip for an inlaid custom 43mm chip with whatever my heart desired for edge spots sold me. Considering something on Greek just because but waiting to get my first order. If one is going to go with replicas of actual chips then that doesn't make sense to me personally either but to each his own. I love to create and some don't and that's what makes this hobby attractive for so many....all of the options.
1714016139400.png

I haven't handled the 43mm hybrids, but I have to say the 39mm chips are amazing. The only constructive criticism I can offer is I believe the labeling fee should be per chip instead of per order. Ordering a set and then later on tossing on a rack or two as add-ons could get prohibitively pricey at $80 an order if you're the only one ordering that particular set that month. You're looking at upwards of $1.26/chip for an additional rack down the road.

I haven't handled the 43mm hybrids, but I have to say the 39mm chips are amazing. The only constructive criticism I can offer is I believe the labeling fee should be per chip instead of per order. Ordering a set and then later on tossing on a rack or two as add-ons could get prohibitively pricey at $80 an order if you're the only one ordering that particular set that month. You're looking at upwards of $1.26/chip for an additional rack down the road.
The easy answer is to order more than you’ll ever need the first time and you don’t have to add on later.

@justincarothers we appreciate you.

I just received a sample set of Sands 39mm and 43mm and they are awesome. I was asking myself, do I really need Paulsons compared to the price of these?

My players just told my this weekend when I mentioned getting the new hybrid web mold chips that "you don't need new chips, these are great." They think what I put in play are awesome and frankly don't know the difference between Paulson and ceramic. Nonetheless I do and don't really care. I'm not that much of a chip snob. I'm more about value and having a decent table, chairs and cards. There....I said it. It's like if the wife (er players) is/are happy.....

Well, I have several hybrid designs in mind, including some custom labels on Rounders blanks. I've been thinking on those for many years, At this price point I will probably pull the trigger.

Look for an IG sale ad soon. It will be less than "market value" that takes months to sell.

p.s. The only problem I have is these Tina chips keep getting better and better so questioning myself if I need to wait for something better. Nah, I'm going to pull the trigger. 43mm FTW!

Last edited:
Funny thing, my snap reaction was be screw that, smaller inlays are better. But that's my clay brain thinking. I guess I need to reconsider some preconceived notions, at least in regards to these hybrids.
No, im the same way 99% of the time. I generally hate Giant inlays. However iLogik's inlay that he customized for me really benefited from this particular larger work area. My next project I am considering on the Greek Mold 43mm is a quarter pie project that I personally think would shine with a smaller inlay area.

That's an easy answer for those who have unlimited funds. Let's be a little realistic, though.
That's fair. 52 cents a chip may seem cheap compared to $400 racks or $900 racks or $1500 racks, but it's still a hell of a lot more money than anybody I know (outside of this group) has ever spent on poker chips.

Well we are only talking an extra 25 chips per denomination. Certainly not breaking the bank.
What? Let's do the math. .46 per chip for the rack. That's $46.00. Plus $80.00 for the label fee. That's $126.00 for an add-on rack. That's not breaking the bank to you?

That's fair. 52 cents a chip may seem cheap compared to $400 racks or $900 racks or $1500 racks, but it's still a hell of a lot more money than anybody I know (outside of this group) has ever spent on poker chips.
It's more than that. If you order a rack add-on, you're looking at $1.26/chip. $46.00 for the rack and $80.00 label fee. Granted, that's if nobody else is ordering that style chip. None of that is including shipping.

Don't get me wrong, what Justin is doing is incredible. I've never had the chance to acquire these types of chips at this price. What he's done is amazing. I'm just indirectly saying it would be better for Tina to charge for a label/chip fee than just a flat rate divided by the number of orders.

What? Let's do the math. .46 per chip for the rack. That's $46.00. Plus $80.00 for the label fee. That's $126.00 for an add-on rack. That's not breaking the bank to you?
I rewrote my post because I admit it was confusing and I partially misinterpreted. My apologies. I meant if you order a rack or two extra on your initial order...not reorder.

I saw someone post a reply on the introduction threads saying to burn my wallet and all that jazz. And yes I too need to stop looking as classifieds. But for my game a small set of these Tuna chips might do the group good as bonus chips or something along those lines maybe even the chips only used by the last tournament winner for the next game

I rewrote my post because I admit it was confusing and I partially misinterpreted. My apologies. I meant if you order a rack or two extra on your initial order...not reorder.
Right, but if you are the only person that orders a certain style, you're hit with $80 whether you order a rack or a set of 500.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom