Murdering IOC $25 House Mold (1 Viewer)

(Don't ask but) I have murdered thousands of chips, the worst were the textured laminate, paper inlay, leaded RHC. :( Everything else has been simple by comparison (I have never tried the Isle of Capri).

Anyway, someday I might make a video of my murder technique, but since I'm lazy on things like that, I'll describe it here...

First word of advise, do 1 thing at a time - remove the laminate from all the chips and worry about the NPR later.

Now, I no longer worry about cutting myself since I made a murder jig, it holds the chip in place with a spring clamp ($1 at home depot) and protects me via a wood backstop if the blade slips (basically just some 3/4" scrap cut up and finish nailed into a "L" shape). Clamp in your chip.

The murder weapon is NOT a BS hobby knife, I use a straight up utility knife
1652065358541.png

My technique is to start near the edge of the chip with the blade almost parallel to the laminate (maybe 15 deg), and I cut a slit through the laminate to the center of the chip, a perfect cut for me is one that slices the label (so you can see some chip, more on this later). Once you get this cut down, there will be no scar on the chip surface from the cut. Before pulling the blade out, I bend back the laminate so I can grab it with pliers (see step 2 later). Flip the chip, repeat and throw in on the pile.

Step 2: Go through your pile of chips with a pair of pliers, I like to use bent nose pliers, since it makes it easier to grab the laminate tab
1652065762229.png

Strip all the laminates off the chips.

Step 3: Label removal
I lay out a rack of chips face up on a board with space between barrels for my hands for the next parts (I also use a circular board so I can sit my lazy ass in one place and spin the board around).

Use an ear dropper to place NPR (enough to cover the label) on every chip (yup all 100). Now why did I say I want to nick the label, well, in my experience if the label is intact, the NPR will take a long time to saturate the vinyl label to work on the glue that's underneath. With the label damaged, the NPR gets underneath to do it's job more quickly/consistently. Yes, there are generally still a few tough chips per rack with this method but it's way better than with undamaged labels.

Now that you've NPR'ed them all, go back to where you started and start taking off the labels, most should come off real easy, some you might have to scrape a little. For this step I like to use a wood chisel blade on an exacto knife.
1652066304918.png

Use a paper towel to wipe off the excess NPR and flip the chip over for round 2. Do the other 99 and then start back at applying NPR again.

That's it, fast, easy, and your hands are in no danger.

(Don't ask but) I have murdered thousands of chips, the worst were the textured laminate, paper inlay, leaded RHC. :( Everything else has been simple by comparison (I have never tried the Isle of Capri).

Anyway, someday I might make a video of my murder technique, but since I'm lazy on things like that, I'll describe it here...

First word of advise, do 1 thing at a time - remove the laminate from all the chips and worry about the NPR later.

Now, I no longer worry about cutting myself since I made a murder jig, it holds the chip in place with a spring clamp ($1 at home depot) and protects me via a wood backstop if the blade slips (basically just some 3/4" scrap cut up and finish nailed into a "L" shape). Clamp in your chip.

The murder weapon is NOT a BS hobby knife, I use a straight up utility knife
View attachment 908152

My technique is to start near the edge of the chip with the blade almost parallel to the laminate (maybe 15 deg), and I cut a slit through the laminate to the center of the chip, a perfect cut for me is one that slices the label (so you can see some chip, more on this later). Once you get this cut down, there will be no scar on the chip surface from the cut. Before pulling the blade out, I bend back the laminate so I can grab it with pliers (see step 2 later). Flip the chip, repeat and throw in on the pile.

Step 2: Go through your pile of chips with a pair of pliers, I like to use bent nose pliers, since it makes it easier to grab the laminate tab
View attachment 908162
Strip all the laminates off the chips.

Step 3: Label removal
I lay out a rack of chips face up on a board with space between barrels for my hands for the next parts (I also use a circular board so I can sit my lazy ass in one place and spin the board around).

Use an ear dropper to place NPR (enough to cover the label) on every chip (yup all 100). Now why did I say I want to nick the label, well, in my experience if the label is intact, the NPR will take a long time to saturate the vinyl label to work on the glue that's underneath. With the label damaged, the NPR gets underneath to do it's job more quickly/consistently. Yes, there are generally still a few tough chips per rack with this method but it's way better than with undamaged labels.

Now that you've NPR'ed them all, go back to where you started and start taking off the labels, most should come off real easy, some you might have to scrape a little. For this step I like to use a wood chisel blade on an exacto knife.
View attachment 908169

Use a paper towel to wipe off the excess NPR and flip the chip over for round 2. Do the other 99 and then start back at applying NPR again.

That's it, fast, easy, and your hands are in no danger.
Great tutorial. I’d love some pics and video if you ever find some time

Well, I got nothing to murder right now. Maybe I’ll get lucky in the upcoming TCR sale though.
If you really need some chips to murder I have a few hundred *cough* thousand that need some love :LOL: :laugh: ;)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom