Murder vs over label (1 Viewer)

Timmah

Two Pair
Supporter
Reaction score
So I tried my hand at murdering some DJs. I bought an extra barrel to practice in. 7 of the chips were damaged in one way or another. Usually because the exacto knife slipped. 5 of the 7 could probably be used, two are toast.

I see that some people don’t murder their chips, they just put a label over the existing. What are the pros and cons of this?

Thx

A little unrelated but you could potentially use NPR to repair the gash you might have made with the knife. I was able to mend a few chips I did this with. Goes without saying, be very sparing as you don't want to melt more of the chip than necessary. Maybe you could try on the two that are toast.

Depending on label thickness, over labeling could cause spinners and that's really the only con I found with that. Less of an issue but chips sound different when shuffling and again, if label is too thick, chip edges can catch on the label when shuffling.

Like anything else, it takes practice to do it right. I use an exacto only for the initial cut, then switch to a more flexible and cheap small box cutter blade for the rest. NANPR is your friend, helps dissolve a bit of the epoxy and acts as lubricant if you have to scrape.

Last edited:
Murdered a few racks and it was a fist fight. As said above, depends on the label, both original and replacement. If you're a stickler and want your chips in perfect condition, get a professional to do it. Otherwise, pick a label that's thicker and may hide your hackjob lol.

pros of overlabeling is that its easier, avoids huge amounts of work or money and preserves the chip for resale, but that doesn't work on some that are worn and you'll be limited in your label choice.

I overlable paulsons and murder CPCs.

Reasons:

CPCs take a second or two

Paulson chips can be a huge PITA.

Relabled chips always seem to get sold or projects abandoned, so what's the point of permanently altering something that might have historical significance.

I don't notice a big difference in look and feel, but that's just me.

I think a big factor for a lot of people is that the textured labels are thicker, so you usually can’t overlabel with them.
Personally I don’t care for the textured labels because they just don’t feel the same as vintage Paulson textured labels. But they may be more durable, I dunno.

I over labeled DJ $500's into fracs. No issues, no spinners, no bleeding lol. Good thing is I can always return them to $500's if that resale value is greater.

Screenshot_20240506_134918_Chrome.jpg

Try both and see what you prefer. Myself I prefer inlay removal, but I understand very well that many think it's too much work.

I prefer a laminated label over unlaminated, which leads me to murder vs overlabel if labeling an entire set to match. It’s more just a feel/texture preference.

I avoid both if I can, though that’s not an option here since you’re doing a custom set.

Someone else mentioned spinners above with overlabels, which is also a valid argument, though shouldn’t be as much of an issue with mint Paulsons. It can still happen, but becomes more likely the more worn the chips are.

Now that you’ve ordered samples to murder, order (or ask for extras from someone for) both types of labels. Try to apply unlaminated as an overlabel, and apply laminated to one of the chips you murdered.

Just like everything else, samples are the key! Everything may feel/look different in expectation vs reality.

I was a defender of overlabeling… until I fully experienced the pleasures of coldblooded REDRUM with laminated inlays.

That said.. if you aren’t 100% sure you won’t change your mind, use thinner vinyl for overlabeling.

And if the chips are rare…

Does anyone here have any extra laminated and non laminated inlays they’d be willing to sell me? This would allow me to try both and see in person which I like better.

Does anyone here have any extra laminated and non laminated inlays they’d be willing to sell me? This would allow me to try both and see in person which I like better.
Let me check when I get home later. If I have any I’ll just send them out at no charge, they’d be leftovers from old projects anyway so I don’t need them for anything.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom