More Rake is Better (1 Viewer)

justsomedude

Straight Flush
Reaction score
Oh boy...

www.morerakeisbetter.com

and

5FEB452B-E4BC-4593-A216-5FF0DA9C8D57.jpeg

If this was really Doug Polk speaking out against rake, it would be pretty cool. But I'm pretty sure it's just Doug Polk fucking with Daniel Negreanu, and to me, that just makes Polk look like a wanker. It might be a generational thing - he's been taking a lot of shots at Helmuth lately too - maybe I'm just annoyed at this younger guy taking shots at the poker heroes of my generations. But there's just no need for it.

"Studies have shown that reduced rake eliminates casual poker players from the system, as they get crushed by winning players."

What? Show me these studies. This has to be a joke.

"Studies have shown that reduced rake eliminates casual poker players from the system, as they get crushed by winning players."

What? Show me these studies. This has to be a joke.
That's based on something that Daniel Negreanu said when he was discussing poker stars increased rake. Right or wrong, Daniel's point was that if the rake is increased in the lower stakes games, the pros will move on to other, higher stakes games, leaving the lower-stake, higher rake game more playable for amateurs. Doug Polk has turned this into a personal vendetta against Daniel Negreanu.
So yes, it is a joke.

They do have a point in it, to a degree.
Sure, poker today is flooded with pros that are a factor in barring recs from being able to really enjoy a game.

I however disagree with their claim that raising rake would be the cure. Yes, raising rake will drive away pros. However, I don't think too many rec players are playing solely for the sake of playing. You always also play poker because of the prospect of winning money, and going home with more than you brought with you. Raising the rake makes it harder for everyone to make money at the game, pros and recs alike. Since recs rarely run the numbers, they might enjoy the new games in the beginning as they win more pots, but in the end only the house will win. Once the recs start realizing that, games are going to be deserted.

Conclusion: They are merely replacing one problem with another. No viable solution.

I don't charge a rake in my home game, but have exactly zero pros. :(

However, kudos to the web design, and using decent looking chips (y) :thumbsup:

I had to read some of that before I realized they were serious..... seriously ?

Not serious.

It's a massive troll-job from Doug Polk on Daniel Negreanu for the comments he made after PStars upped their rake...

Doug contends Daniel's comments were made as a spokesperson defending PStars, and not an independent/unbiased analysis of the rake increase. Hence his unrelenting trolling.

That's based on something that Daniel Negreanu said when he was discussing poker stars increased rake. Right or wrong, Daniel's point was that if the rake is increased in the lower stakes games, the pros will move on to other, higher stakes games, leaving the lower-stake, higher rake game more playable for amateurs. Doug Polk has turned this into a personal vendetta against Daniel Negreanu.
So yes, it is a joke.

I think Doug has taken it a bit too far at this point, but DNegs statement about rake is pretty ridiculous. More rake can never be better for amateur/rec players.

I think Doug's primary beef has to do with DNegs defending an obvious money grab by P* while also being arguably their highest profile sponsored player.

Plus, DP hates anything/everything P* to begin with.

They do have a point in it, to a degree.
Sure, poker today is flooded with pros that are a factor in barring recs from being able to really enjoy a game.

I however disagree with their claim that raising rake would be the cure. Yes, raising rake will drive away pros. However, I don't think too many rec players are playing solely for the sake of playing. You always also play poker because of the prospect of winning money, and going home with more than you brought with you. Raising the rake makes it harder for everyone to make money at the game, pros and recs alike. Since recs rarely run the numbers, they might enjoy the new games in the beginning as they win more pots, but in the end only the house will win. Once the recs start realizing that, games are going to be deserted.

Conclusion: They are merely replacing one problem with another. No viable solution.

I think the intended logic is that better amateurs are getting crushed by pros. If the pros move on, the better amateurs will increase their winrates (some enough to overcome the increased rake) and possibly move up in stakes rather than quitting. The fish will be fish and still lose, of course.

I'm not saying I agree or disagree, just my explanation of what I think Negreanu is driving at.

The shortsightedness / unawareness of what Daniel said is what Doug takes offense to the most. That coupled with Stars becoming nothing more than a bastardization of what they once were upon being acquired by Amaya Gaming (Supernova Elite debacle, Spin N Gos, rampant bots playing at low to mid stakes PLO, etc.) just makes Negreanu someone with no real interest in growing the game at a grassroots level. But when he says More Rake is Better from his ivory tower and every buy-in is paid for by your corporate sposnor, it's an incredible betrayal to the game of poker itself.

If Tom Brady or Steve Young came out to say that less concussion protocols are better for the game of football, they'd be pariahs. I'm not saying that Doug Polk doesn't have an ulterior motive with keeping this trolling alive, (Youtube and just overall more publicity) but the fight needs to be fought.

I liked Daniels "More study is better" comment after the Super High Roller Bowl concluded.

The shortsightedness / unawareness of what Daniel said is what Doug takes offense to the most. That coupled with Stars becoming nothing more than a bastardization of what they once were upon being acquired by Amaya Gaming (Supernova Elite debacle, Spin N Gos, rampant bots playing at low to mid stakes PLO, etc.) just makes Negreanu someone with no real interest in growing the game at a grassroots level. But when he says More Rake is Better from his ivory tower and every buy-in is paid for by your corporate sposnor, it's an incredible betrayal to the game of poker itself.

If Tom Brady or Steve Young came out to say that less concussion protocols are better for the game of football, they'd be pariahs. I'm not saying that Doug Polk doesn't have an ulterior motive with keeping this trolling alive, (Youtube and just overall more publicity) but the fight needs to be fought.

Pretty much this.

I used to think polk was a bit of an asshole, but once you start watching his stuff regularly you realise he makes a lot of sense. I guess you have to be somewhat sensational to generate a wider audience.

I haven’t really followed the whole more rake is better stuff to closely, but it’s clearly bullshit.

I used to think polk was a bit of an asshole, but once you start watching his stuff regularly you realise he makes a lot of sense. I guess you have to be somewhat sensational to generate a wider audience.

He's obviously a smart guy, given his success in poker and YouTube/streaming.

I agree a lot of his arguments make good sense. He comes across a bit sensational/troll-y but I think that's partly for the lulz and partly for the views.

I'm sure he's got a large ego, but that's no different than pretty much anyone else playing the game at his level.

He's obviously a smart guy, given his success in poker and YouTube/streaming.

I agree a lot of his arguments make good sense. He comes across a bit sensational/troll-y but I think that's partly for the lulz and partly for the views.

I'm sure he's got a large ego, but that's no different than pretty much anyone else playing the game at his level.
I actually think he would be very down to earth in person. I’ve seen him pop up a fair bit in other vlogs and such and he seems like a totally nice guy off camera.

I really like his content and have learned a lot from upswing so far.

How does the Super High Roller Cash Game at the Aria work? It isn’t raked, and I would suspect it’s zero rake (i.e., free for players, with venue/dealer/etc paid for in exchange for Aria advertising + money from TV rights).

I used to think polk was a bit of an asshole, but once you start watching his stuff regularly you realise he makes a lot of sense.

I don't think the two are mutually exclusive.

I do watch his videos sometimes and always get something out of them. Other times, he grates on my nerves a bit and I have to bail for something else.

How does the Super High Roller Cash Game at the Aria work? It isn’t raked, and I would suspect it’s zero rake (i.e., free for players, with venue/dealer/etc paid for in exchange for Aria advertising + money from TV rights).
Most of these bigger games are not “raked” in the traditional sense, but players pay a timed seat fee. Typically by the half hour.

Aria Super high roller bowl, the tourney, was rake free also. And the players got some swag...free hats shirts etc

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom