Modiano Platinum (Cellulose acetate) arrived today! (1 Viewer)

GateteLucky

Sitting Out
Reaction score
So after reading I decided to buy a set of Modiano Platinum.

These are my second plastic, but my first cellulose acetate cards. My first cards were Bicycle Prestige (PVC), which coming from cheap paper cards, they were at another league.

My first thoughs on shuffling the Prestige were:

- These are slippery AF. (I supposes most of plastic cards are somewhat slippy)

- I can bend them to see the cards like the TV players 8)

- Ink of faces faded after months of use, I accuse not playing with a mat most of the times.

- Really liked these cards overall, I don't have experience in other cards xD but hey you may like to try them and for collecting purposes.

- For my taste, one of the best back arts, I really like fractal and such type of art on the backs, I think you can even see the angel cyclist nipples, +1 point

So I thought let's try acetate ones.

------

First thoughts on Modiano Platinum:

- Wow, three jokers and one cut card per deck, plus a nice plastic box!!! Prestiges don't do that at the same price per deck.

- Mmm they are very malleable, the RedNeck data base of cards told me they were the softest, I LIKE IT.

- They are thinner than Prestiges, and one can feel it, I like it because most times a minimalist approach is better (this got me thinking Prestiges feel like very sturdy and heavier, it could be better for someone).

- Shuffling these cards doesn't get me calluses on the index and pinkies like the Prestigues did, I think it is because Platinums have a kind of coarse texture, so there is less friction between them than flatter/glossier ones.

- I prefer Poker Size and Jumbo Index, and their design is like the Prestige, for me very good faces and numbers, another win for me.

Overall very nice feelings on my very short experience with plastic and cards in general.

Lot of users say they are one of the best, kinda bummer because I like to feel the upgrade haha.

Next time I'll try Desjgns, the shipping price got me a little paused.

----

3 defective cards, Amazon will return them and send new ones, I hope they come good, may be a thing of quality control on the factory, hope they fix it soon because they are nice cards.

-------

Some photos for those who had not try them (uncompressed for better quality but bad taken xD): https://www.mediafire.com/file/26n31wyc5g8ha5y/ModianoPlatinum.zip/file

Don't hold your breath waiting for quality Modianos. They don't give two shits about quality and after screwing over Desjgn over their shit marked cards I wouldn't ever recommend them to anyone.
What's the back story here?

So, did Modiano supply/make the cards for Desjgn? And they were a bad batch and it screwed him over?

Yeah there was a problem with the printing on the backs of some of the cards and they refused to remake them. Jason has since switched to a new manufacturer.

If you want to read about it, I think the thread is still up in @desjgn vendor forum here

I have been buying modiano platinum cards for years. I use a new set up for each game. I think these hold up the best over the course of the night as compared to others (and I have tried most brands). of course, it is just my opinion. Others I am sure like other brands.

Don’t forget to use the discount coupons on the modiano website. U save 20 percent if u spend over $250.

fyi, I have never noticed defective cards. What type of defects are u talking about?

I have been buying modiano platinum cards for years. I use a new set up for each game. I think these hold up the best over the course of the night as compared to others (and I have tried most brands). of course, it is just my opinion. Others I am sure like other brands.

Don’t forget to use the discount coupons on the modiano website. U save 20 percent if u spend over $250.

fyi, I have never noticed defective cards. What type of defects are u talking about?

We’re taking about defective Desjgn cards, not necessarily defective Modiano cards

Yeah there was a problem with the printing on the backs of some of the cards and they refused to remake them. Jason has since switched to a new manufacturer.

If you want to read about it, I think the thread is still up in @desjgn vendor forum here
Huh that sucks. Guess I’ll start getting desjgn ones going forward. Much prefer supporting the smaller businesses.

Oh, I didn’t realize they had an issue. I guess I need to catch up. Hmmmm. I just bought new inventory from them too.

I had set of Platinium line and they were great, but that was 10 years ago. There are some signals around that since few years their quality is slipping. Case of Desjgn and few others. Even Abbiati told them to f off after long cooperation and switched to Cartamundi.
Miss prints in Platinum? That's a new one.

We’re taking about defective Desjgn cards, not necessarily defective Modiano cards

Let's be clear here. Modiano made cards that were marked on the backs for a large custom order, denied any responsibility for their shit printing quality and refused to remake them/refund the order. If their quality control dept and customer service dept says marked cards are ok, in the face of clear photo evidence, then I wouldn't ever trust any cards produced by Modiano, whether their name is on it or not.

Let's be clear here. Modiano made cards that were marked on the backs for a large custom order, denied any responsibility for their shit printing quality and refused to remake them/refund the order. If their quality control dept and customer service dept says marked cards are ok, in the face of clear photo evidence, then I wouldn't ever trust any cards produced by Modiano, whether their name is on it or not.

The cards backs were clearly and obviously marked.

You're preaching to the choir here, and I'm not defending Modiano at all, but for the sake of accuracy, you're overselling it a bit.
They weren't "clearly and obviously marked" There were some slight color variations of the card backs that were noticeable by most people upon close examination and by many people at a casual glance.
I agree that the cards were unfit for play and the idea that Modiano wouldn't own up to the mistake and re-print was unforgivable.

You're preaching to the choir here, and I'm not defending Modiano at all, but for the sake of accuracy, you're overselling it a bit.
They weren't "clearly and obviously marked" There were some slight color variations of the card backs that were noticeable by most people upon close examination and by many people at a casual glance.
I agree that the cards were unfit for play and the idea that Modiano wouldn't own up to the mistake and re-print was unforgivable.

A marked card that is used by cheaters is marked in way that only the person who knows how they are marked can detect.

If 'many' people can recognize that the card is marked at a casual glance then it is clearly and obviously marked.

Mmm now I am thinking of buying other ones, do any of you recommend some acetates?

If curious for the 3 defective cards they are on the link OP

The ink will fade within about three months based on my experience

Last edited:
Hi Sir, IMO the acetate cards of Modiano on faded quickly the colors and is easy broken cards if you not use a good felt, try others brands in Spain you can get Fournier for a cheap price best cards more durable and easy to shuffle.

Your last two selections, the Fournier 2826(bridge size/jumbo index) are my go to card. I’ve used Copaq, Kem, Bicycle Prestige, DaVinci and Cartimundi in various sizes and indexes. The Fournier just handle and feel the best to me and the majority of the regulars at my game. I found a vendor on eBay a while back selling them for about $19 shipped per setup. After trying a setup, I immediately went back and ordered 10 more. I think you’ll really like them!

The vendor I got mine thru has sold out of whatever quantity he initially had. I can’t find his listing anywhere on eBay. I did see some for a considerable price hike though...$17 per deck. Fortunately I was smart for once and bought a bunch after I got my first setup and realized just how nice they were...especially at $19 shipped per setup. Hopefully he’ll get more.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom