mock-up of an Aruba Palm $500 chip (2 Viewers)

As there's no inlay underneath you could do a shaped label couldn't you? Three moon label :)

As there's no inlay underneath you could do a shaped label couldn't you? Three moon label :)

I thought about that (albeit after I already ordered the other labels). My concern would be whether it would look "funny" since the label isn't set into the chip like a real inlay would be. On a circle label that goes to the edge, it's not noticeable. But the thickness of a laminated label would be more noticeable on a shaped inlay.

That said, it might be worth a try just to see if it works better. I'm not against experimenting in an effort to improve the final product :)

Three moon label :)

Hope this isn't a stupid question, but is a "three moon" shaped inlay the same as the apple below, except with three sides?

image.jpg

I was thinking the same, given the edge spots.

That said, would you align them with, in between, or randomly when you applied them?
Based on the samples you selected in the pic I was thinking in between. But the reality is if you look at a larger sample size they are probably aligned randomly, so it probably doesn't make a difference.

Also the Apple will probably leave little edge space from you earlier concern about noticing the label.

Also did you fill in the hole or do anything to the hot stamp? If not does the label hid that stuff well?

Agree with stocky, I'd go with apple or hexagon shaped labels -- either one should work well with most hot-stamped chips.

When I applied my labels, I simply aligned them with the existing inlays -- creating random orientations just like the originals.

Based on the samples you selected in the pic I was thinking in between. But the reality is if you look at a larger sample size they are probably aligned randomly, so it probably doesn't make a difference.

The five $500 chips I labels were all aligned the same way (wasn't really thinking about it, just subconsciously did it like that). The rest of the chips in the picture were just taken right out the rack without regard to alignment.

Also the Apple will probably leave little edge space from you earlier concern about noticing the label.

Good point.

Also did you fill in the hole or do anything to the hot stamp? If not does the label hid that stuff well?

Since I was anxious to see what they looked like, I didn't bother doing anything to the five I labeled. Actually, that's not true, I did knock off the plastic burrs around the holes, but did not fill them nor did I scrape the hot stamps. The laminated labels hid both the hot stamp and holes pretty well. Non-laminated labels (which I applied as samples) do not hide the hot stamp well at all. if you press right over the hole on the laminated label, you can tell it's there, but I would bet that 99% of people playing with them would never notice unless they knew there was a hole under there and went looking for it.

Agree with stocky, I'd go with apple or hexagon shaped labels -- either one should work well with most hot-stamped chips.

I'm leaning toward giving the apple a try first, for the reason stocky mentioned above.

I guess if I end up switching to a shaped inlay, I can use the 200 round ones I have to test out if I can get away with laminated labels on the 818 project chips :)

Just use them on your secondary set chips. :cool:

Apple would look great with the set... I prefer the Star slightly though... I think it matches well with the other shapes... Both are great choices...

Apple would look great with the set... I prefer the Star slightly though... I think it matches well with the other shapes... Both are great choices...

Good point too. I was leaning toward apple because it had the most edge contact with the edge of the recess. I had concerns about the thickness of the laminated inlay and the gap to the edge of the recess. That said, I hear what you're saying about the star one matching up better.

Just use them on your secondary set chips

So does this mean I need a primary, secondary and a tertiary set?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom