Cash Game Mixed game buy in question/advice (1 Viewer)

brianb1091

Sitting Out
Reaction score
I'm looking to introduce some mixed games/dealers choice type games into my low limit cash game. Typical buy-in is $20 but I'm trying to get the guys to agree to a little more. I like a .10/.25 buy in that I saw on here with a $25 minimum. Breakdown was
20 nickels
16 quarters
20 dollars

My question is whether this buyin would work well with mixed games? The games will probably be NLHE, Omaha and variants, Tahoe, sohe, stud, pineapple, draw poker variants etc.

Thoughts or recommendations? Thanks

5 nickels make a quarter so I would never give out more than 10 each. Otherwise someone will bet a stack of nickels to get rid of them and then you will be constantly counting down the bets.

are you talking about running limit as well as NL and PL games? if so, what limits for the limit games?

are you talking about running limit as well as NL and PL games? if so, what limits for the limit games?
That's kinda what I hoped to get advice on but I'm thinking nickel antes 10 cent bring in and .25 completion on stud. I guess that would make the limits .25/.50? I'm not very up on running limit games so advice is appreciated. Is the above too much on $25 buy ins?

That's kinda what I hoped to get advice on but I'm thinking nickel antes 10 cent bring in and .25 completion on stud. I guess that would make the limits .25/.50? I'm not very up on running limit games so advice is appreciated. Is the above too much on $25 buy ins?

just my thoughts, so take it all fwiw:

- buying in for amounts not divisible by $20 or $100 is annoying and raising the $20 min to $25 doesn't change much. just make it $20 min $60 max.
- as a general rule for limit game buy-ins, you want to start with 25 big bets, so if a majority of players are buying in for $25, the game would use .50/1 limits. that would mean a .25 bring-in for stud and i would use a button ante where the button posts .10 per player rounded up to the nearest .25. i would round up to the next quarter because...
- i would eliminate use of the nickels altogether and make the NL/PL game blinds .25/.25.
- starting stacks should be 20 quarters and the rest in singles for whatever amount they buy in for.
- if you have a majority of players do not want to buy in for more than $20, then i would go with the .25/.50 limits you propose, but keep the other suggestions above with regard to eliminating the nickel.
- if lowering limits to .25/.50, then you will need a lot of quarters. i'd start each player with at least 40 quarters and then fill in the rest of their buy-in with singles.

If you're running 10¢/25¢ No Limit, then Limit should be 50¢/$1. For Stud I'd suggest an ante of 10¢, a bring-in of 15¢, and a completion of 50¢.

For a mixed game I can't see anything wrong with giving out 20 nickels per player. They're gonna need those for antes and such.

Min buy-in for 10¢/25¢ should be $10, max $50.

If your goal is a $25 minimum buy-in, you should consider playing 25¢/50¢ NL, $1/$2 limit, and for Stud 25¢ ante, 25¢ bring-in, and $1 completion. (max buy-in would then be $100)

just my thoughts, so take it all fwiw:

- buying in for amounts not divisible by $20 or $100 is annoying and raising the $20 min to $25 doesn't change much. just make it $20 min $60 max.
- as a general rule for limit game buy-ins, you want to start with 25 big bets, so if a majority of players are buying in for $25, the game would use .50/1 limits. that would mean a .25 bring-in for stud and i would use a button ante where the button posts .10 per player rounded up to the nearest .25. i would round up to the next quarter because...
- i would eliminate use of the nickels altogether and make the NL/PL game blinds .25/.25.
- starting stacks should be 20 quarters and the rest in singles for whatever amount they buy in for.
- if you have a majority of players do not want to buy in for more than $20, then i would go with the .25/.50 limits you propose, but keep the other suggestions above with regard to eliminating the nickel.
- if lowering limits to .25/.50, then you will need a lot of quarters. i'd start each player with at least 40 quarters and then fill in the rest of their buy-in with singles.

^^^^ SOLID STUFF! ^^^^

If your goal is a $25 minimum buy-in, you should consider playing 25¢/50¢ NL...

i disagree with this part. it sounds like he's trying to move players up from a lower buy-in which means at least a few will be buying in for the minimum. i imagine he'd rather not play at a table full of short stacks.

Nickels always sound good in theory. In practice, they're a huge PITA. Listen to jbutler's thoughts above.

When mixing NL/PL and Limit games, the approximate/rough/more-or-less equivalency is to set the big bet in limit at 4x the big blind in NL/PL. I agree with Bloody Marvelous.

When mixing NL/PL and Limit games, the approximate/rough/more-or-less equivalency is to set the big bet in limit at 4x the big blind in NL/PL. I agree with Bloody Marvelous.

i agree as to the ratio, but using those limits for a game where the players are reluctant to raise the buy-in from $20 to $25 seems unwise.

i agree as to the ratio, but using those limits for a game where the players are reluctant to raise the buy-in from $20 to $25 seems unwise.

I suggest that the OP consider setting the buy-ins to a maximum of $25 instead making that the minimum. Players should still be able to buy in for $20, in which case they would have an initial stack of 80 big blinds or 20 big bets, which is not unreasonable when learning new games. Although I'm a fan of buy-ins in multiples of $20, that isn't always doable at micro stakes.

Thanks everyone for the great discussion. There's a lot for me to digest and I'm sure I'll have more questions as I root through the responses.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom