Cash Game Missing in Abby99's mixed games: Vanunu's rules (1 Viewer)

<°)))><)

Pair
Supporter
Reaction score
Hi all,
a long time ago I read this article by Negreanu about a poker game he created, Vanunu.
https://www.cardplayer.com/cardplay.../articles/12460-vanunu-my-favorite-poker-game
It seems pretty wild and I've wanted to play it ever since, but never actually did. It seems too difficult to just jam it in a circus game, and I've never tried a full session of it.
Has any of you given it a try?
Given the probably wild betting, how many big bets do you think would be a decent buy-in?

Interesting! One of my buddies made up kind of a similar game back in high school (80's) and called it Furnace.

5 card draw w/ a "stud-like showdown", hi/lo/sweep, no qualifiers for hi or lo, queens are wild, A-5 is best low and straight.

Deal 5 cards & Bet.

Draw (you can't see what you draw!). If you want to make it a positional advantage game, then dealer chooses how many to draw last, otherwise, everyone simultaneously declares (e.g. with a die) how many cards each person wants to discard/replace .

Since the reveal will take place card by card, you arrange your known cards in the order you want them to be shown and whatever you draw (unknown cards) go underneath, all face down.

Everyone reveals first card & betting round - action is on highest value exposed card(s). Continue until 4 cards are exposed with 1 hidden hole card.

After the 4th card betting round, players can choose to either replace a card (up or down - if down, you can't look at it) OR look at their down card - but not both. Either action costs a set amount of $ (looking is usually 2x the price of replacing). Again, if you want to make it positionally advantageous, you can go around the table twice - first time around for whomever wants to buy a card, starting with the player to the left of the dealer and finishing the transaction/replacement before moving to the next player; second time around for whomever wants to look at their hidden card, again, in order. Otherwise, to make it more equal, 1 chip for buy, 2 chips for look, no chips for "pat" - and everyone who is replacing tosses their cards before the first replacement card is dealt.

(Fwiw, you might want to pay to replace a card instead of drawing if you've got 4 good cards and one throwaway and you put the throwaway somewhere in the first 4 cards - then you buy it and see what you get right away. You might want to pay to look if for example you have a hand that could potentially sweep but you don't know what your last card is.)

After that supplemental action - you can choose to add one more betting round or just go straight to declare (1 chip lo, 2 chips hi, 3 chips sweep)...

Fwiw, I was not suggesting that Furnace should be added to your awesome catalog! I just thought one or two folks might wanna try it... ;)

Best I could do for now:

1701848534986.png

I'm sure the text can be cleaned up more.

Best I could do for now:

View attachment 1235415

I'm sure the text can be cleaned up more.
Thanks for that.
As I see it now, it brings a couple of questions:
- on each street, do you expose your card before or after the betting round?
- is there a last betting round after the pitch and buy or does the betting end before it?

The "Bet" coin icon is slightly to the left right (oops) of each "Expose 1 Card" step, so it's bet after each roll.

The rules are open to interpretation, but it seems to me there could be bet after the last card is dealt face down, before the option to pitch/buy a card, and then the Declare happens. Usually there's a betting round after a declare, so you could eliminate the bet after the last card is dealt face down.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom