Matsui WSOP Tribute (43mm) Showcase (1 Viewer)

I have received a lot of feedback about these chips, “why did you create such a crappy looking red chip”, basically.

In trying to explain this to @RagahRagah who is considering a Matsui custom purchase, I decided to put together a little visual.

Here are the Matsui “red” colors, in comparison to an ACTUAL red chip. They may look fine on the computer screen in the Matsui chip designer, but there is no substitute for having color samples in hand. Matsui red leaves a lot to be desired (and honestly, their entire color palette does too).

Enjoy my illustration (the numbers on the sheet correspond to the Matsui color numbers)

15D24F25-9182-41D4-B410-833B91BF1227.jpeg

I have received a lot of feedback about these chips, “why did you create such a crappy looking red chip”, basically.

In trying to explain this to @RagahRagah who is considering a Matsui custom purchase, I decided to put together a little visual.

Here are the Matsui “red” colors, in comparison to an ACTUAL red chip. They may look fine on the computer screen in the Matsui chip designer, but there is no substitute for having color samples in hand. Matsui red leaves a lot to be desired (and honestly, their entire color palette does too).

Enjoy my illustration (the numbers on the sheet correspond to the Matsui color numbers)

View attachment 1071255
LOL most of those just look brown.

I kinda like #17, though. I like a dark red. But a red chip should be at least a little bright and vibrant. For there not to be at least one that is slightly so is inconceivable.

Yeah that’ll teach you volunteer your time and effort to run GB’s! :rolleyes:

I think the only true red is #17, and if @RagahRagah wants to use it I would recommend #23 Dandelion Yellow as the second color. A chip with those colors was done on an early Matsui GB long time ago, and it seems to suit the dark red better than any other color (though I’ve never seen that chip in person, just a pic). Matsui’s other color set has lighter colors, if wanting to go that route… Or look into Abbiati, their red is nice.

Thank you @pokrgeek21!

I wish Matsui was easier to work with. I kinda want to see what samples of 43mm chips, using their brighter color palette, would feel like. I just hated the feel of the 39mm with the bright color plastic.

But samples are tough to come by. Heck, they wanted $140 to send me a color kit ($40 for the kit and $100 shipping!).

I want to do another group buy with them, but they don’t make it easy!

Yeah that’ll teach you volunteer your time and effort to run GB’s! :rolleyes:

I think the only true red is #17, and if @RagahRagah wants to use it I would recommend #23 Dandelion Yellow as the second color. A chip with those colors was done on an early Matsui GB long time ago, and it seems to suit the dark red better than any other color (though I’ve never seen that chip in person, just a pic). Matsui’s other color set has lighter colors, if wanting to go that route… Or look into Abbiati, their red is nice.
Was 17 the one that was used?

Yeah, Abbiati is definitely who I've had my eye on for doing my own set.

Was 17 the one that was used?

Yeah, Abbiati is definitely who I've had my eye on for doing my own set.
I believe it was #17… Without derailing this thread further, please click below to read more.

It was a long time ago so there may have been a change in the color’s formula, and it’s always kind of tough just seeing pics as lighting, camera and the device you are using can make a big difference. At the very least it was a true red, and like I said only #17 really is IMO. Using a light/white decal probably helps too. Anyway here’s a pic of that chip from someone else, don’t know who.

C6CA38E5-8B74-412C-AE60-F95362318E0B.jpeg

And here’s a pic I took just now. On the right you have the regular nylon #17. The brass chip uses Matsui’s brighter ABS color range, which is actually pretty close in color to Abbiati red. If you want a vibrant red chip, I would go with either Matsui’s ABS or Abbiati.

9E95E540-7C80-48BC-B2EE-131B32BDDB56.jpeg

Does anyone have samples of Matsui 43mm chips using ABS?

Does anyone have samples of Matsui 43mm chips using ABS?
I think the Blue Sands chip set used ABS for the 43mm chips. I sold my sample set a while back, so I can't confirm, hopefully another member can chime in about it. J5 designed them, so he might have a sample of the set.

OMG, the green 25s almost glow on the table! I love it. I can’t believe how much I love these. And I hate that my current crew will not play tourneys. :(
Sorry for the newb question, but what's your guy's process for a group buy? A bunch of people got together on the forum, put a design together they agreed on and then requested a large custom run from a chip maker you love/trust?

Sorry for the newb question, but what's your guy's process for a group buy? A bunch of people got together on the forum, put a design together they agreed on and then requested a large custom run from a chip maker you love/trust?
I was going to inquire on this to a degree myself as I may be looking to get one going myself soon, potentially.

I ran this group buy. I got the help of a designer who created the label design. I consulted with a few chipping friends on the forum, and decided on the colors of the chips, and then when I was happy with the design, I opened up a group buy, and asked if anyone else wanted to buy some.

A small number of people should be in charge of design -- group design SUCKS. Get a design you're happy with, and then invite other people along for the ride (if you want).

If you want to give this a go, feel free to ask me questions. Happy to help.

I ran this group buy. I got the help of a designer who created the label design. I consulted with a few chipping friends on the forum, and decided on the colors of the chips, and then when I was happy with the design, I opened up a group buy, and asked if anyone else wanted to buy some.

A small number of people should be in charge of design -- group design SUCKS. Get a design you're happy with, and then invite other people along for the ride (if you want).

If you want to give this a go, feel free to ask me questions. Happy to help.
Do people tend to reuse the designs? I figure everyone loves the various WSOP designs and probably reuses them for group buys. There is a WSOP tribute mockup that was used recently for a tourney set I am leaning towards wanting to use for a cash set, with a couple slight alterations I'm pondering, but of course I have to respect the original artist. Are things like this typically discussed around here?

Do people tend to reuse the designs? I figure everyone loves the various WSOP designs and probably reuses them for group buys. There is a WSOP tribute mockup that was used recently for a tourney set I am leaning towards wanting to use for a cash set, with a couple slight alterations I'm pondering, but of course I have to respect the original artist. Are things like this typically discussed around here?

yeah, if you are going to work from someone elses artwork, best to talk with them about your plans before just going for it. But most people are pretty helpful!

yeah, if you are going to work from someone elses artwork, best to talk with them about your plans before just going for it. But most people are pretty helpful!
I would just figure a lot of WSOP tribute sets get used and would be surprised if people kept making different mockups of basically the same sets over and over again.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom