Looking for Design Feedback - Cherry Hills Card Room (1 Viewer)

Regarding the dark tourney labels: I added a slight gradient to my black background on my labels, and it made a world of difference.

D892A055-0D45-4066-94BE-B59ACC14FD73.jpeg

I also do not prefer the color matched background in your cash chips.

Last edited:
Like the light airy feel of these inlays with the sky background, good move to keep the branch as well. Only suggestion would be instead of the color matching outer ring try a fade out to a darker version of the blue/sky that would give it a shading effect. All in all great job!

So something like this? Version with darker outer ring and fade:
One2.png

Version with lighter outer rim and no fade
One.png

Nice...
I'm kinda torn between the two. I like the extra dimension the fade adds but I also like the cleaner look of the no fade version.

I like the added depth but maybe a litter lighter on the outer ring, not so dark, but a shade somewhere inbetween. You don't have a lot of room around the outside of your design for much fade though.

Love the cash design! I like the bottom mockup in post 32 best so far.

Suggestion: I'm no designer/artist, but the OCD in me feels that the top portion of the design is a little unbalanced and heavy to the left. You have the branch coming from the left and "Cherry Hills" slightly offset to the left, then just the more subtle "Card Room" offset to the right. I get that the combined text is centered, but it still feels just a little off. Have you looked at maybe centering "Cherry Hills" and then putting "Card Room" centered underneath with a little extra space so it fits between the extension of the "y" in Cherry Hills"? Maybe also make the space between Cherry & Hills a little smaller. Both suggestions may allow you to make both fonts a hair larger as well to help make it easier to read.

OK... I was finally able to spend a little more time with this. Here's where they are at.

Color matching on the rim and a light color matching on the rim shadow. I'm liking this one quite a bit - especially the blurple shadow. I also like that little blush of pink on the $5.
Quarter2.png
One2.png
Five2.png

And blue rim for all - with a lighter blue rim shadow than before. Also liking this one - much better than the dark shadow I had in a previous version. I definitely like the shadow version with the added depth (even with this very light shadow) better than the flatter no-shadow version. There's still maybe some more tweaking to do on the exact shades of blue but do like the cohesiveness of one color.
Quarter.png
One.png
Five.png

I still need to try some of Irish's text movement suggestions, but these are getting pretty close. Would love to hear if you have strong opinions of color matched vs all blue. Thanks again for everyone's feedback - both these versions are much better than when I started and I have two good options to ponder on.

Now I need to spend some time to spend on the tourney side...

Overall I like the same color outline on all the chips instead of the color matching but it doesn't look bad either. If going with the same blue outline (bottom row) use this one from the (top row #2) with the lighter blue ring.
one2-png.225441

This inlay ring color on this chip is really nice. (y) :thumbsup:(y) :thumbsup:

The outer rings on the (bottom row) look too dark blue closing in on black

Overall I like the same color outline on all the chips instead of the color matching but it doesn't look bad either. If going with the same blue outline (bottom row) use this one from the (top row #2) with the lighter blue ring.
one2-png.225441

X2 everything ^^^here^^^

one2-png.225441

Definitely much better with the lighter blue...

Quarter.png
One.png
Five.png

I’m late to this thread. Love the progression! Not to be too critical or offensive, but can you make the cherry hill or the blossoms stand out more. They seem to be fighting each other as the main focal point. The branch and the type have similar energy and I think it would be more pleasing to the eye if one of them was clearly more dominant. Just my thoughts, but it’s nice as it is too. So exciting to have personal chips, since I can’t get a new custom set every week, I can live vicariously through the forum :)

Latest version of the tourney label... an evening sky version of the cash label keeping the same blossom branch and replicating most of the shading/gradient ideas.

View attachment 225557

View attachment 225560

So much better.
Maybe a NCV under the denom?
Also still think the spacing in your font needs to be worked out at the top.

What program are you using?
I might be able to help if needed!

What program are you using?

Right now, I'm doing these in PowerPoint. I'm super comfortable with it and so can crank through iterations pretty quickly. Once things get close to final, I'll move them over to Inkscape or Gravit. That's where I'll really get persnickity about colors and placement.

And totally agree about the spacing. Part of it is that the RHC label size is a little different than the THC label and I didn't spend enough time making the adjustment in the tourney label. Part of it is that PowerPoint is pixilating elements as I export them to post.

My subscription ran out for adobe illustrator, but it still works as long as I don’t close it. Vector graphics is better than pixel based if it’s for logos and not photographs. I’m pretty busy the next 2 days, but might be able to help :)

My subscription ran out for adobe illustrator, but it still works as long as I don’t close it. Vector graphics is better than pixel based if it’s for logos and not photographs. I’m pretty busy the next 2 days, but might be able to help :)

Thanks for the offer, but I enjoy working up the learning curve. PowerPoint is actually vector-based, it's just not real good at exporting individual images and I'm pushing the limits of what it does well anyway. I've had pretty good luck with Inkscape and Gravit - both have some quirks that are annoying to work through but they also don't have the Adobe's price tag.

Hope your power doesnt go off!

Liking the gradient evening sky on the tournament set. Looks like you enlarged the denom font size on those (maybe it's the dark bg playing tricks on my eyes), you might try to pump up the denom font one more point as well. Liking where both sets are going. (y) :thumbsup:

Your drafts look really good, I was surprised to read you are using PowerPoint.

Looking forward to seeing what you put up once you move it all over to inkscape or Gravit and make those final small adjustments.

(y) :thumbsup:

Liking the gradient evening sky on the tournament set. Looks like you enlarged the denom font size on those (maybe it's the dark bg playing tricks on my eyes), you might try to pump up the denom font one more point as well. Liking where both sets are going. (y) :thumbsup:

Yah... the fonts are just a bit bigger - the larger RHC label gives just a little more room than the THC label in which to maneuver.

But that brings up an interesting design question. I think the reason the denom on the hundo looks like it has room be a bit bigger is that I'm using the same font size that is needed to squeeze the '5000' in the space for that chip.

So is it better to have a larger font size on the 25-500 chips then drop the size as needed for the 1000 & 5000 denominations? Or should all the denomination fonts be the same - being limited by what is needed to squeeze in the 5000? Hmmmm...

Color matching on the rim and a light color matching on the rim shadow. I'm liking this one quite a bit - especially the blurple shadow. I also like that little blush of pink on the $5.
quarter2-png.225443
one2-png.225441
five2-png.225439
^^^^
This all day long. The subtle color matching while leaving most of the label the same make each look just distinct enough.

@BSteck, both the light and dark labels look great! It will be cool to see the final project.

Thanks again to everyone for all the great feedback! I think I'm going to let these designs marinate a bit and see if I have any other evolution ideas in the next couple of days. But I think they are very close... some more tweaking of colors and positioning. I'm at least close enough that I'm ready if I were to bubble up to the top of Gear's queue. Here's where I ended up today - heaps better than where I started. Thanks again!

Cash with blue rim/fade
1544309572389.png

(or)
Cash with color-matched rim/fade
1544309602967.png

(definitely need to work on the $20 colors)

Tourney
1544309632544.png

Last edited:
No Aztar 818? Seems like it would flow better than the AS 20.

Yah... that was definitely a candidate. But:

- The shaped inlay on the Aztar makes it harder to relabel and doesn't match the other circle inlays
- For a cash game I prefer a yellow $20 over a green $25
- We play .25/.50 so a $20 hitting the felt is kind of a big deal so I really liked the oversized AS 20 for it

I could probably come up with some more 'logical' justifications, but mostly cause I'm totes in love with that 43mm yellow & purple AS 20 chip.

Buuuuuut... your post did make me pause and reconsider a bit... maybe AS $25? Circle inlay - check. Oversized - check. Great spot progression - check. And the lavender in the AS $25 echos the blurple quarter. Hmmmm...

If only there were a couple of threads discussing the benefits of a $20 vs $25 chip. :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

Really late to the thread but I loved reading through the progression.
My thoughts:
Cash: keep the branch, don't color match the background, color match the outer ring, but a little softer. Can you also have a gradient on the blue background, maybe a morning light?
Tourny: I like the contrast of the set labels, but I personally don't like dark backgrounds. I would make the fade continue down past the middle, so it could still remain much darker than the cash set, but be a little lighter.

I really don't have any qualms with it at all. I love the amount of thought put in it and am quite impressed that this is done in Powerpoint.

Can't wait to see the final outcome. Will you be making a sample set for purchase? ;) I might be interested!
Also, where's the custom dealer button? :eek:

powerpoint.gif

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom