Local Museum Exhibit (1 Viewer)

grantc54

4 of a Kind
Supporter
Reaction score
My wife is the curator at our local community museum, and my crazy poker chip obsession inspired her to do an exhibit on local collectors. As such I have my own corner of the exhibit.

A little intimidating posting on this site since I have a pretty small collection compared to many on this site, but thank goodness it is limited to my specific municipality.

It opens Sunday with the official opening next week.

I have a couple cases and some wall space which I am putting up 5 20"x16" frames.

One case is dedicated to my cash chips/sets, the other to my tournament sets (and progression).

20190916_153445.jpg

20190916_153508.jpg

The biggest hassle has been finding a way to display the chips on the wall, but I think I have successfully figured out a way to do it. BIG
thank you to @T_Chan who has helped try out a few different attempts.

I think I have it now (gluing airtite bases to matte board).

One down, 4 to go.
20190919_212425.jpg

I'll post more as I get them done tonight.

Amazing job!!! Your collection is no slouch!! I mean it would be nice to see a separate frame with a PCF banner over the @BonScot scrub donkey design! Lol but all joking aside.
Are you planning on disassembling these when the exhibit is finished or moving to the poker room, the frames look fantastic, great idea!! Can't wait to see the finished set up! Congratulations on a job well done!

Very cool! Question about the chip frames, are the airtites recessed mounted or glued to the board? If recessed mounted were the hole cut outs made by you or already made to fit the air-tite dimensions. Great frames.

Thanks. Originally I was going to place the chips into recessed holes, but cutting the holes by hand was too time consuming and final product was not up to par. @T_Chan was helping to cut the matte with the CNC, but I left this kind of late. This was actually my plan B but the airtites ended up working better than expected.

I ended up using the 1st attempt at recess as a template to mark where to glue the airtites.
20190920_073207.jpg

The airtites are glued to the matte.
20190920_001449.jpg

Amazing job!!! Your collection is no slouch!! I mean it would be nice to see a separate frame with a PCF banner over the @BonScot scrub donkey design! Lol but all joking aside.
Are you planning on disassembling these when the exhibit is finished or moving to the poker room, the frames look fantastic, great idea!! Can't wait to see the finished set up! Congratulations on a job well done!

:) I actually have permission to hang these up post exhibit. One of the hardest parts is having the chips at the museum until mid-Jan.

Not having your treasures will be hard! But awesome karma for doing it! Maybe attract younger minds to the hobby! They came out great and extra bonus that every chip is 100% safe! I like it!!

One of the earlier attempts @T_Chan helped me to try. I gave him zero notice (first mention was post game last Tuesday) and I think if I had given him more time to get the right foam and depth this may have worked.

20190920_080246.jpg

That's really cool Grant! Which museum is it?

Langley Centennial Museum, just across the street from the fort.

Soft open is Sunday, official opening is Thursday at 6pm. All local PCFers are welcome to come out. Let me know if you can make it and I will keep an eye out for you.

The kids have some activities that evening but I can probably make it at around 8pm... Will try, especially since I can walk there!

Seattle and Edmonton are as close as I expect to get, but if I wind up in the neighborhood I'll be sure to drop in.

What a great idea for a museum display theme! Your collection is pretty representative of a lot of things most people don't see or think about.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom