Cash Game Limit Circus games - help me choose chip values (4 Viewers)

GenghisKhan

Full House
Reaction score
** Read my post #15 for additional very important info** :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

Hi,
So I grabbed this 1100 chip HHR set to practice milling. I was thinking maybe relabelling into a limit set for our circus games (mixed games).

Our betting limit is:

25c raises to $1 max preflop & flop
50c raises to $2 max turn & river.

For our betting structure, what denom should the workhorse chip be?

I would like to make the greens into 50c or $2 which are pretty standard for green. What do you think?

I also have solid beige 25c chips.

Would 50c green and $1 red make sense?

(I'd prefer $1 red and $2 green but just don't see us using that many $2s with our betting structure.)

Help please. :)

20200723_203005.jpg

Last edited:
You want either 2 chip /4 chip or 3 chip / 6 chips for your bets. I think you’re kind of forced into a weird 12.5¢ chip.

This would play much better as either a 20¢/40¢ or 30¢/60¢ game with 10¢ chips, so I’d move the stakes a tad up or down.

As to the value chip, $5 makes sense for the game and they are already red. $5er!

I’ve never understood the insistence that you have 2 chip/4 chip. People might prefer it, but it’s not necessary. I would say the green chips are quarters, the red chips are $5s and you need to find a rack of a 3rd color so everybody has a few .125 chips for bring ins or small blinds or chopped pots.
What’s curious to me is that you don’t mention a .125 chip. Have you guys been playing .25 and .50 fixed limit circus games without ANY .125 chips? What do you do for stud games? Full bet bring-in?

Okay, I don’t understand what’s going on. If OP is running a 25 cent and 50 cent fixed limit game, why would he ask about a 50 cent chip. And why would @Jambine recommend a one dollar chip? Was that a joke?

Okay, I don’t understand what’s going on. If OP is running a 25 cent and 50 cent fixed limit game, why would he ask about a 50 cent chip. And why would @Jambine recommend a one dollar chip? Was that a joke?
No joke. He will need some $0.25s but the workhorse will be a $1 chip

No joke. He will need some $0.25s but the workhorse will be a $1 chip
Okay, it will work that way, it just goes against most of the usual recommendations you see here for fixed limit sets.

Last edited:
Okay I forgot to clarify that we're donkeys who don't know what we're doing. :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

Limit AND mixed games are new to us.
When we play NLH we play 25c/25c.
(We moved up from 5c/10c NLH, then 10c/25c NLH.)

When we introduced Abby99's mixed games to our group, we decided it would be easier to play them

-Limit 25c/50c as explained in 1st post

Preflop and flop 25c raises capped at $1
Turn and river 50c raises capped at $2

So basically each street can be raised 4x then it's capped. We probably need to raise this to 50c/$1 tbh cause half the table calls to the river and has no incentive to fold. Donkeys I tell ya.

I don't think we've played any of the games with Antes yet.

:nailbite::bag:

Last edited:
If you play .25/.25 nlhe, then you want to be playing .50/1 limits with .25./50 blinds for flop and draw games. It still plays smaller than .25/.25 nlhe.

For stud games, you'll want to do a button ante based on # of players dealt in (unless you want to include a 10c chip):

7-8 : 75c
4-6 : 50c
2-3 : 25c

Bring in of 25c.

Okay I forgot to clarify that we're donkeys who don't know what we're doing. :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

Limit AND mixed games are new to us.
When we play NLH we play 25c/25c.
(We moved up from 5c/10c NLH, then 10c/25c NLH.)

When we introduced Abby99's mixed games to our group, we decided it would be easier to play them

-Limit 25c/50c as explained in 1st post

Preflop and flop 25c raises capped at $1
Turn and river 50c raises capped at $2

So basically each street can be raised 4x then it's capped. We probably need to raise this to 50c/$1 tbh cause half the table calls to the river and has no incentive to fold. Donkeys I tell ya.

I don't think we've played any of the games with Antes yet.

:nailbite::bag:

even if you play an ante game it is easier to use a button ante so you don’t need to add another chip just for those games. Typical button ante is equal to one BB.

Last edited:
If you play .25/.25 nlhe, then you want to be playing .50/1 limits with .25./50 blinds for flop and draw games. It still plays smaller than .25/.25 nlhe.

For stud games, you'll want to do a button ante based on # of players dealt in (unless you want to include a 10c chip):

Bring in of 25c.
One note on any ante size, there are a lot of different opinions on ante size. I tend to go bigger on antes. But even "half" my size listed is perfectly acceptable.

Typical per player antes:

Small ante is around 1/10th the small bet.

An avg ante is around 1/10th average of the small bet and big bet.

A big ante is around 1/10th the big bet.

WSOP stud tournies use the big ante.

We probably need to raise this to 50c/$1
Yup. Very, very strongly recommend moving the game to a 50c/$1 game with 25c/50c blinds. This would make your workhorse a quarter. Bets on streets 1 and 2 are 2 chips; all remaining streets have a bet size of 4 chips.

If denominated, the greens would be quarters and the reds can be $1's or $5's, with a nudge toward a $5. Rebuys in $5's only. One $5 is a full barrel of fracs.

Don't over think this, play all in quarters. Four chips for your max bet of 1 is reasonable. Dollar chips would be overkill since you would never use more than 2 at a time in a bet. Add some 5 dollar chips for a "value store" chip so you can swap barrels easily.

(Late delete. Misread opening post thinking OP meant spread limit, my bad )

Last edited:

Bring in of 25c.
^^ This. All of this.

Use all quarters (one rack per player) plus a rack of $5s (= 20 × 25c, so easy conversion and change-making when needed).

Or go with no-denomination chips, making the set good for whatever Limit stakes you might play in the future. I have two Limit sets; one with $1s and $20s (for 2/4 and 3/6 games), and one with two no-denom chips (for everything else, both smaller and larger stakes).

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom