Less common Thanksgiving side dishes (1 Viewer)

k9dr

Royal Flush
Supporter
Reaction score
Traditional main dishes include turkey, ham, stuffing, mashed potatoes, green bean casserole, etc. I want to hear about less common side dishes that are an important part of your family’s Thanksgiving tradition.

I’ll go first. My mom loved rutabaga on Thanksgiving. As a child I couldn’t even stand the smell of it, but my mom cooked it every Thanksgiving. As an adult I have acquired a taste for it and cook it every year. My mom passed away last year and now the smell of rutabaga makes me think of her - I love you mom :love:

Our family always had turkey for thanksgiving, ham for xmas. Both with a mashed combination of potatoes and rutabaga (which we called turnips). Of course, cranberry sauce.

Mandatory for both holidays: pumpkin pie and dark chocolate pie with graham cracker crust (we made both yesterday).

we snack on olives and pickles. Also dip fritos in the clam dip. The dip is cream cheese, clams, milk, worcestershire sauce, lemon juice, garlic salt, and tabasco sauce (this year I used Melindas Scotch Bonet).

One side we always have is "The Tomatoes". My Mom makes this casserole dish filled with tomatoes, layers of cheese, onion, garlic, and bread crumbs layered and repeated. Not doing a great job of describing it, but it is delicious!

Happy Thanksgiving!

we snack on olives and pickles. Also dip fritos in the clam dip. The dip is cream cheese, clams, milk, worcestershire sauce, lemon juice, garlic salt, and tabasco sauce (this year I used Melindas Scotch Bonet).

One side we always have is "The Tomatoes". My Mom makes this casserole dish filled with tomatoes, layers of cheese, onion, garlic, and bread crumbs layered and repeated. Not doing a great job of describing it, but it is delicious!

Happy Thanksgiving!
1637871886236.gif

Pickled eggs and beets.

My grandmother would make these a couple times a year, and it was mandatory at the holidays. Basically she would take a couple jars of pickled beets, put them into a bigger jar with a bunch of hard boiled eggs, then top it off with vinegar, sugar and water. A couple days later you get these wonderful purple, slightly pickled eggs to enjoy with your beets.

Though my grandmother has passed, it's still a family tradition up north, but I haven't had them for a couple years now. :(

Beets: enemies of humanity and white linen napkins. :tdown:
FTFY.

And there is a world of difference between beets (meh at best but usually not even that good) and pickled beets.

Pickled beets are sweet and tangy, and should be enjoyed straight out of the fridge.

Ideally with some pickled eggs. ;)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom