Tourney League Points Help (yes again) (1 Viewer)

Which League points system do you prefer (and why)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 point for attending
1 point bounty on overall point leader and 1 point bounty on prior tournament winner

For 10 or less players top 4 get points (6/4/3/2)
For 11-20 players top 6 get points (8/6/5/4/3/2)
for 21-30 players top 8 get points (10/8/7/6/5/4/3/2

I like the bounty idea.

The one thing that sticks out here is that the attendance point is proportionally far more valuable when there are 10 or fewer players.

I like the bounty idea.

The one thing that sticks out here is that the attendance point is proportionally far more valuable when there are 10 or fewer players.

It is, but in many ways when we are less than 10 attendance is more important, so we have enough to run a solid tournament. Typically we should be at the 2 tables level so it will not likely be too much of an issue.

Also, I wanted everyone to feel like they are advancing even if they are not placing at the top. At the end of the day I the goal is to have fun.. so instead of going home with no money and no points, they at least got something.

Also, while we require a min of 3 events to qualify for final table or playoffs, I want to still reward the person that dutifully shows up every event. As we will likely have ~14 events a year, if you showed up for everyone and never won you still have 14 points. The person that showed up 3 times and one once will have 11 points (assuming 2 tables). While it is likely that the person that won a night is the better player, the person that showed up every time did more to advance the league.

in many ways when we are less than 10 attendance is more important, so we have enough to run a solid tournament.

As a host myself, I certainly agree with that... Especially in making sure the least successful regs keep playing and don’t give up.

I guess my suggestion might be to increase the points by a small factor while keeping the attendance point as 1. Say, add 2-3 points to each place in your table while keeping it 1 for attendance, to somewhat water down the attendance value without eliminating its incentive value.

(Now a question just occurred to me: Do those placing also get the +1 attendance point, in addition to the amounts listed, or is that incorporated into each position’s point?)

Anyway, sounds good overall despite these quibbles.

(Now a question just occurred to me: Do those placing also get the +1 attendance point, in addition to the amounts listed, or is that incorporated into each position’s point?)
Yes, so the 1st place finisher in a two table event would get 9 points (+any bounties).

The other thing that might help is how we use the points. At the end of the season we tally up the points and the top 6 leaders automatically advance to the Final Table. Everyone else that participated in at least 3 events can participate in a playoff with the chance to win one of 4 wild card slots. The playoff event is worth double points to allow people to catch up, however; the point totals from the wild card players can't exceed the 6th place player regardless of final point totals. (the idea is to let the person that lost 14 times a chance to win and have a shot at the Final table.. I like Cinderella stories :) ).

Chip stacks for both the playoff and the Final table are based on points with the average stack being 300BB in the playoffs and 400BB for the Final. Everyone's stack is then adjusted based on how many points they are from the average (up or down) with a floor stating that the lowest point total can't be less than 25% of the largest stack regardless of how low their points are.

Skill is part of the game. Chance, or luck, is part of the game. You guys are so focused on skill in awarding points, yet you ignore the other part of the game, the luck part.

Part of “skill” is to put yourself into positions where you can benefit from the presence of “luck”, and suffer minimal damage from the absence of “luck”.

But anyway, everyone depends on “luck” to make it through to the end. Why don’t you reward some points for “luck”? This might help keep some of the less skillful interested, as they depend on “luck” much more than the average player.

So like take everyone who didn’t make the final table and give one “lucky” person in that group some extra points. You could do a flip, and award extra points based on the hand strength they end up with, for example.

So Guys, in your opinion after reading the entire Thread I came up with a table that can help me to assign percentages...
what should I put in the blank spaces for the winners??

1673388927361.png

Did not read the whole thread but looking at that chart and thinking about keeping track of all of that over a season gives me a headache. We just keep it simple. Top three finishers get points. 1st Place Points are based upon number of attendees at the tournament (16 players, 16 points, 12 players, 12 points) then 2nd gets 3 less points than first and 3rd gets three less than 2nd. Everybody else gets nothing...we don't hand out participation trophies :LOL: :laugh::LOL: :laugh:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom