Tourney League final game scheduling - Wait for everyone or pick a date and go? (1 Viewer)

How do you schedule your season finale games in your leagues?

• Wait for a day everyone qualified can play

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

timinater

Flush
Site Vendor
Reaction score
I'm looking for advice scheduling our league finale games. In the past we would find a date that works for everyone and it worked fine in our 20's. As we get further and further into our 30's that seems to be increasingly difficult. I'm thinking about making a change to the way our league schedules the "Final Table" and looking for your advice/experience. Because of scheduling conflicts and that I'm the only host, I can't guarantee the league will end by a certain date, and therefore we can't pick a date at the start of the season.

Background:
  • 8 Prelim games + Freeroll Final Game
  • Prelims are $50 buy - $40 prize pool, $10 Final Table pool
  • Play in 3 prelim games to qualify for Final Table
  • Points earned in 8 prelims = Final Table starting stack.
  • We play roughly every three weeks
  • Play Final Table when EVERYONE is able to play.
  • I'm currently the only host. Maybe someday it will rotate again.
The thought would be to change the scheduling format to playing the final table within x number of days (maybe 60?) of the season ending. We go on the day that the most players can make it. Point totals settling a tie-break if need be. Thoughts? I was going to PM @CraigT78 asking about his experience when I saw his post in this thread, but though a thread might be a better place for the discussion. Perhaps @BGinGA or @Poker Zombie also have some thoughts?

My main questions are:
  1. How does this work for those that pick a date and go with it this way?
  2. What's a reasonable number to days to aim to get The Final Table in?
  3. Do the previously unavailable players magically become available?
  4. Am I missing anything?

Pick a date and stick to it. If they want to play they will plan around it. Getting a consensus at the end of the league would be a nightmare.

I send a survey monkey with 4/5 possible dates and select the one the most people indicated availability. This year 1 guy had to miss, previous years it worked out that everyone could make at least one day. Good luck. Once your players have school aged kids - scheduling is a nightmare

Pick a date at the start of the season. I guess you can be flexible if conflicts arise as the date approaches.

As I said in OP, that's a tough option for our league. I'm the only host and unfortunately sometimes that means delaying or bumping games beyond our usual 3 week rotation, so I can't reliably predict when the season will end.

Getting a consensus at the end of the league would be a nightmare.

It wasn't a problem until it was :(

I send a survey monkey with 4/5 possible dates and select the one the most people indicated availability. This year 1 guy had to miss, previous years it worked out that everyone could make at least one day. Good luck. Once your players have school aged kids - scheduling is a nightmare

Tough luck for the guy that misses?

I wanted to set the date at the beginning of the season, but my schedule is as bad as some ofy players, so I go the route of selecting the "best" date. Everyone knows up-front, so I hope there's no problems down the road!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom