Ketogenic Way of eating... (5 Viewers)

low carb, beanless chili

20200113_171559.jpg

Had keto "chicken lips", as they are known locally (breaded and fried chicken fingers tossed in Buffalo sauce). We dipped them in egg batter, then coated them with ground up pork rinds. Really quite good!

Ingredients: Makes 2 (4 x 4 in.) Chaffles
1 cup Shredded cheese, I used mozzarella
2 eggs
4 Tbs Almond Flour
2 Tbs Philly cream cheese
1 tsp Garlic powder
1 tsp Italian spices
Mix even used a hand blender. Put into waffle maker til done to your liking

Preheat oven to 350.
Put Raos pizza sauce, cheese and other ingredients and bake til melted. Enjoy!

I've been stagnant at 197/198 for a few weeks now. I'm fine with this weight. Its a ton better than where I was at 5 months ago. I think I'm going to mix things up a bit. I miss eating fruit lol. Along with a few other things. I think I'm going to start using the "My Fitness Pal" app and go back to the 2k calories a day max game plan. FWIW, I rarely hit 2k in calories.

I am finally back to hitting the treadmill on a regular basis. 7 of the last 8 days I've averaged a 3 incline, and a 3.7 speed for a 45 minute duration. I know its not crazy fast. However, at that speed it doesn't bother my sciatica nerve issues.

The past few years I tend to do keto for a month or so, so whatever I want for six months, go back for a month to remove the 20 I put back on, etc. So I’ve just discovered chaffles due to you guys... I find them too eggy even when I remove the yolks. Could be just an eggy texture thing and I imagine the taste, but it’s there in my head.

Because of this I really don’t care for them. Any suggestions/no-egg recipes or whatnot?

The past few years I tend to do keto for a month or so, so whatever I want for six months, go back for a month to remove the 20 I put back on, etc. So I’ve just discovered chaffles due to you guys... I find them too eggy even when I remove the yolks. Could be just an eggy texture thing and I imagine the taste, but it’s there in my head.

Because of this I really don’t care for them. Any suggestions/no-egg recipes or whatnot?
Try using different types of cheese -- I've used cheddar, mozzarella, colby, and a few others, they will change the taste and texture. So will adding a bit of almond or flaxseed flour to the mix. Removing the yolks definitely helps, as does cooking them longer to remove more moisture.

Any suggestions/no-egg recipes or whatnot?

No egg keto?

You can do chaffles with just cheese and egg...but they are better with almond flour and baking powder...

I've been skipping the oil/butter in minute muffins/keto bread, cutting the almond flour in half, and adding the same amount of shredded cheese... Gotta mix it up.

Last edited:
No egg keto?

You can do chaffles with just cheese and egg...but they are better with almond flour and baking powder...

I've been skipping the oil/butter in minute muffins/keto bread, cutting the almond flour in half, and adding the same amount of shredded cheese... Gotta mix it up.
I don’t mind eggs but I’ve been trying chaffles to use as hamburger buns, mini pizza crusts, etc. the eggyness just throws them off for me

I feel that now is really a good time for Keto.

Low carb = lower appetite = less food consumption = less trips to the grocery store = less risk of infection.

Also, losing weight and staying healthy prevents people from being a burden on the health care system, freeing up their resources when they needed it the most.

I did 9 months of solid keto in 2018 with great results. 155lb at my lowest. I'm back up to 178lb. I'll be happy fitting into the small clothes I bought back in 2018.

How are people doing on their diets? I find losing weight is the easy part, keeping it off is harder for me. I am wondering how people are doing long term and if they are still following the Keto diet rules.

With my health issues this year, I had a hard time maintaining and it is time to refocus.

How are people doing on their diets? I find losing weight is the easy part, keeping it off is harder for me. I am wondering how people are doing long term and if they are still following the Keto diet rules.

With my health issues this year, I had a hard time maintaining and it is time to refocus.

I stopped just before the holidays in 2019 after losing about 60 pounds. Put back on 10 pounds through beginning of COVID, but once covid hit and a lot of my normal routines were gone I put on another 20.

So over a year later, halfway between where I got to and where I was. Having the same contemplation you are though Woody - do I get back on the teeter-totter?

I started keto about 3 years ago. First year was fantastic, lost like 80 pounds and for me it was relatively easy to stick to. Second year I started a new project at work that required a ton of travel, and it got *much* tougher to stick to. Put on probably 20 pounds. This past year (working completely from home since March) has been tough as well but for completely different reasons, I've found it nearly impossible not to snack here and there working from home, and I find I'm "cheating" more now, so I've been up and down all year. So I'm still down a good chunk and thankfully my numbers are still good (A1c at 5.5). I still like the diet, I feel 100x better overall when I'm in the keto zone.

I find losing weight is the easy part, keeping it off is harder for me.
Same here.
I have done keto a few different times and it does melt away the fat. The hard part is changing your lifestyle enough when you stop keto so it doesn't just pile back on.
I'm hoping the 3rd time is the charm for me.
Started @ 199lbs
Nov1 - Dec 23 down 17lbs.
Plan to do it again in Jan & Feb to lose another 12lbs and then try to sustain something around there.
These dark craft beers are a KILLER and my worst enemy

Psa for those of you who haven't tried it. Rebel creamery makes the most amazing keto ice cream ever if grocery stores near you have it. I hardly ever crave sweets anymore but this stuff is amazing. It's made with heavy cream which makes it taste as good or better than regular ice cream and the ingredients are fairly clear (erythritol as sugar). Each pint has 5, 6, or 7 net carbs for the whole container and it takes me 4 or 5 days to eat so 1 carbish per day as a treat occasionally.

I don't know how ANYONE could make a pint of Rebel mint chip ice cream last 4-5 days. Good lord, if I'm able to put the pint back in the freezer ONCE, I'm practically breaking my arm from patting myself on the back. I have absolutely no will power when it comes to the Rebel mint. I guess I've just traded one pint for another. LOL

I don't know how ANYONE could make a pint of Rebel mint chip ice cream last 4-5 days. Good lord, if I'm able to put the pint back in the freezer ONCE, I'm practically breaking my arm from patting myself on the back. I have absolutely no will power when it comes to the Rebel mint. I guess I've just traded one pint for another. LOL
You can do it Mel.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom