Tourney Is this a good starting stack? (1 Viewer)

jimmyvulgaer

Sitting Out
Reaction score
hey guys,

please excuse me if i am not familiar with the right terms.

some info:
i wanna do a tournament with 18 people (2 tables).
it should be T100 based.
first blindlevel: 100-200 (200)

my starting stack is 30,000 and would look as followed so that everybody starts with 150 BB:
10x T100
4x T500
7x T1,000
4x T5,000

now my question:
is that a good starting stack for 18 players or could it lead to a massive exchange between the players because the amount of denoms is not well balanced? some chip exchange between the players is fine but it should not get too excessive. maybe some of you with some experience can give me some advice.

if necessary, here is the structure i would like to schedule: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1-GP5Re_8u4gqRb1e7_3MIXGMo6Rsubxg1cJP3uLKugM/edit?usp=sharing

or would you maybe say if i start with 100-100 (100) and everyone gets 15,000 starting stack (also 150BB) with only 1x T5,000 would be much less of a hassle?

tia

edit: one thing just came to my mind: what would be the longer tournament: the one with 100-100 (100) and 15,000 or the one with 100-200 (200) and 30,000 start chips?

Last edited:
I don’t really play tournaments and when I do it’s T25 based. However, and fwiw, four 5k chips seem too many. I would turn one of em into 500/1ks instead

We usually start with 200BB in our tournaments, and we play 15 or 20 minute levels. For me, the starting stack is two things: the number of big blinds you give each player, and the actual chips you use to do so.

Our players like to be deeper stacked for a little bit at the beginning, so we start with the 200BB stack. However, if you are short on time, you could always reduce to 150BB or even 100BB to shorten the amount of time it takes to run the tournament. (You can also shorten the levels, or change the structure, where you have more rapidly increasing blinds -- that's your decision as host/tournament director.)

As far as the actual breakdown of chips you put in the starting stack, I typically like to give each player just about as many small-denomination chips as I possibly can without running out (and make it round to the nearest 500/1k). If you have experienced players, then making change amongst themselves will be no big deal. However, in our game, we have plenty of newer players, so making change can slow things down and become a hassle if you have 4-5 out of 8 players at the table needing to do so at any given time. Again, your call on whether you need to provide more small-denom chips or can get away with "just" 10x 100's like in your example above.

I play in a regular 30k +3k on time bonus, and he runs his with 30 minute blind levels, this tournament can last 8 hours. I've found that deeper stacks with slower escalating blinds helps to reduce some of the "all in bingo" players.

I agree with switching one or 2 of the 5k chips for 500/1k's.

You can play around with blind levels to control the length of the tournament. The fewer the chips and shorter the blinds the greater chance of all in's.

Last edited:
i wanna do a tournament with 18 people (2 tables).
it should be T100 based.
first blindlevel: 100-200 (200)

my starting stack is 30,000 and would look as followed so that everybody starts with 150 BB:
10x T100
4x T500
7x T1,000
4x T5,000

now my question:
is that a good starting stack for 18 players or could it lead to a massive exchange between the players because the amount of denoms is not well balanced? some chip exchange between the players is fine but it should not get too excessive. maybe some of you with some experience can give me some advice.
Because you are using a BBA, you will need more chips in play to avoid excessive change-making (i.e. 'massive exchange'). This would be a more appropriate 30k stack configuration:

15 x T100
7 x T500
10 x T1000
3 x T5000

Your proposed stacks will work, but not optimally.

or would you maybe say if i start with 100-100 (100) and everyone gets 15,000 starting stack (also 150BB) with only 1x T5,000 would be much less of a hassle?
That will make little difference. The issue is with too few lower denomination chips in play, not with having too many higher ones.

what would be the longer tournament: the one with 100-100 (100) and 15,000 or the one with 100-200 (200) and 30,000 start chips?
Both events would run approximately the same length of time -- they should both finish in ~8 hours plus breaks if using the blind schedule you posted above (and you should add another level to the end if using 30k stacks)

Because you are using a BBA, you will need more chips in play to avoid excessive change-making (i.e. 'massive exchange'). This would be a more appropriate 30k stack configuration:

15 x T100
7 x T500
10 x T1000
3 x T5000

Your proposed stacks will work, but not optimally.

thanks a lot for your answer, binga. can you please tell me what BBA means?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom