Initial Cleaning of Factory CPC chips (1 Viewer)

Tonysquander

Full House
Supporter
Reaction score
I see a ton of chip oiling posts and information regarding various methods of oiling, but I’m having difficulty locating any threads that talk about what people do when they get their initial CPC- direct from the factory- custom order and then want to get the factory dust off before oiling. I know I can get a wet rag and do it all one chip at a time, which I may do, but wanted to throw this out there and see what other methods people use. Thanks for your input.

They are quite dusty and dull when they arrive, for sure.
On my new set, I only lightly oiled the edges, holding 10 or so at a time and going around while they were pressed in a stack together.

Then wiped off the edges with a different, dry microfiber cloth...and wiped the faces with THAT. The tiny amount of leftover oil on the dry cloth was enough to brighten the face without making them oily.

I used a damp cloth and held a barrel together and wiped down all edges to get the dust off. Let them dry. Then I used a pretty mineral oil saturated cloth to wipe down the edges of each barrel with oil squeezing pretty well. I let those sit on a towel face up for a couple hours and then compressed another towel on top to dry them off of excess oil on the faces.

On my new set, I only lightly oiled the edges, holding 10 or so at a time and going around while they were pressed in a stack together.

Then wiped off the edges with a different, dry microfiber cloth...and wiped the faces with THAT. The tiny amount of leftover oil on the dry cloth was enough to brighten the face without making them oily.
^^^ This

I dropped them a barrel at a time in a bowl of water then took them out one by one and wiped the chip faces and edge with a towel and set them on a towel to dry. When they were all dry, I picked them all up in a barrel and rotated them in another towel with a light line of mineral oil on it and set them in a rack to absorb the oil overnight.

I put a few new drops of mineral oil on the same microfiber cloth I've used to oil thousands of chips to this point. You only need to do this process once when they come in dusty and sharp from the factory.
I don't even clean the chips with a damp cloth first. Despite the belief of some here, the factory dust does not embed into the chip if not cleaned off first. I go right to oiling with the factory dust still on.
I do compression oiling chip by chip just once. After that, touching up the edges a barrel at a time every few years is just fine.

Before:

After:

View media item 26331

I put a few new drops of mineral oil on the same microfiber cloth I've used to oil thousands of chips to this point. You only need to do this process once when they come in dusty and sharp from the factory.
I don't even clean the chips with a damp cloth first. Despite the belief of some here, the factory dust does not embed into the chip if not cleaned off first. I go right to oiling with the factory dust still on.
I do compression oiling chip by chip just once. After that, touching up the edges a barrel at a time every few years is just fine.

Before:

After:

View media item 26331
Thanks. Those are beauties

Pretty much this, except I do a barrel at a time

Back in the day I never wiped down my ASM sets with a damp cloth, I went straight to oiling (compression on the edges 10 at a time). I remember them feeling a bit grimy after, but that was a short term thing.

I wiped my new CPCs first. Also, after I oiled the chips I start shuffling them over and over, rotating through all the barrels, as I watch tv and they got dusty and really dry feeling. It's interesting that different colors are drier than others:

Retro red - most dry
Light blue - dry
Canary - least dry

They already need another oiling, and I won't bother wiping them this time.

Might be a bit hard to tell, but the bottom middle barrel had another light oiling:

PXL_20220505_143921875.jpg

Last edited:
I see a ton of chip oiling posts and information regarding various methods of oiling, but I’m having difficulty locating any threads that talk about what people do when they get their initial CPC- direct from the factory- custom order and then want to get the factory dust off before oiling. I know I can get a wet rag and do it all one chip at a time, which I may do, but wanted to throw this out there and see what other methods people use. Thanks for your input.
Soft toothbrush dry will remove all factory dust before oiling. I don’t oil the faces, just the edges one barrel at a time, let it soak in then wipe it all down.

No cleaning. No rag. I oil my hands and just massage each barrel's edges. Each barrel takes about 15 seconds. Boom. Done.

He's lying. He oils his whole body and then rolls over the chips spread out on the tile floor while reciting something in front of a video camera. He doesn't support himself merely by milling chips, you know.

He's lying. He oils his whole body and then rolls over the chips spread out on the tile floor while reciting something in front of a video camera. He doesn't support himself merely by milling chips, you know.
MODS, THIS GUY IS TELLING EVERYONE MY SECRETS.

First you shower them relatively clean in a salad spinner, a barrel or two at a time (with lukewarm water).
When dry, you oil the rolling edges using a clean shoeshine sponge.
The quantity of oil should be NO MORE THAN half a teaspoon, which is enough for 5 barrels (100 chips).
Then, you wipe off any excess oil with a soft microfiber cloth.
Most people stop here.

If you want to oil the faces, you now have a slightly oiled cloth (the one you used to wipe off the excess) to wipe them one by one, trying to avoid the inlays ('cause the latter won't absorb any quantity of oil).
Then you leave them to dry.

I ended up wiping each one with a damp cloth by hand to get all the factory dust off. Let dry. Then followed the compression oiling method. They came out great and were definitely thirsty. Those factory fresh CPCs sucked that oil right in. Very little if any residue left over. It took a while but now that it is dine I am glad I did it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom