In-flight poker table... (2 Viewers)

Poker Zombie

Royal Flush
Reaction score
If you've ever followed on of my trip reports, you know that @Mrs Poker Zombie and I like to make the most out of our in flight time. We bring movies, a cocktail shaker, vermouth, and stuffed olives on our flights to make the 6½" of legroom a little more comfortable. Now we plan to degen on an all new level.

We are working on making a super-mini poker table topper. Something that will...
  • Fit over 2 tray tables on a Southwest flight (we seldom fly anything but Southwest)
  • Resist sliding due to turbulence
  • Have enough "play", in case a hyper 6 yr old with a penchant for seat reclining is in front of us
  • Have rails to prevent wayward chip escape
  • Hold drinks
  • Have enough room to hold community cards
  • Expansion option in case passenger in 3rd seat wants in.
  • Collapses to fit in a shoulder-bag
  • Contains nothing the TSA might deem inappropriate (metal rods for example).
Much of the design concept we were able to develop in mere seconds. However, practicals such as size of the table (including thickness) and gap between tables are a mystery to us at this time, and online info this precise eludes me currently.

However with SSSS and DCS rolling around, I figure someone may be flying. If you could be so kind as to take a few measurements, it would be greatly appreciated.

If this works, Southwest will have the first (commercial) in-flight poker room. Suck-it, Delta.

Not opposed to Delta (or other airline) measurements either. Depending on how this works out, we may offer them to other flying degens.

This is right answer. Though I don't expect him to do it himself. That's what flight attendants and stewards are for.

He should definitely do it himself. Walk back there with a clipboard and jot everything down carefully. If the guy in 1C asks about it, just say "I'm doing important pre-flight checks".

This sounds like an awesome idea. Gonna be a hard time covering your hole cards though, unless you guard them to your chest.

Screen Shot 2016-09-23 at 4.41.53 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-09-23 at 4.43.21 PM.png

Please note, that was from 2004, seats seem to have shrunk since then, or maybe my ass grew, or both.

It also might depend on the aircraft, I would suggest a clamping method for the bottom that can adapt to varying tray sizes.

Maybe start with one of these, cut out the middle section - voilà two cup holders and felt. Just need to make a rail for each side and way to attach to the tray. Velcro maybe?? If inside is wood, maybe you can insert a bendable plastic (like chair mat plastic) for easy transport. Or you could use your phones and pay for internet service and forget this whole project. :)

upload_2016-9-23_17-3-6.png

Please note, that was from 2004, seats seem to have shrunk since then, or maybe my ass grew, or both.

It also might depend on the aircraft, I would suggest a clamping method for the bottom that can adapt to varying tray sizes.

Maybe start with one of these, cut out the middle section - voilà two cup holders and felt. Just need to make a rail for each side and way to attach to the tray. Velcro maybe?? If inside is wood, maybe you can insert a bendable plastic (like chair mat plastic) for easy transport. Or you could use your phones and pay for internet service and forget this whole project. :)

View attachment 56993

I also believe there was a change in seating, but I cannot remember when (I still think the 1990 were 10 years ago). I cannot imagine that Southwest trays are any larger than "minimal dimensions".

The biggest challenge will be the gap between trays. The current plan is to use a firm foam rubber sort of like this...
58foamcolors1.jpg

Then cover it with a softer foam (if needed) and SSC. Sure, SSC when your opponent is 3" away is overkill, so this will be a project for Mrs Zombie's fabric remnants. Of course if @T_Chan were to donate a freebie to the cause... :whistle: :whistling:

Wood shouldn't be a TSA issue, but sometimes they get a little stupid.

The bottom may use a velcro strap to wrap the table, but it's possible a rug-gripper will work as well.

We tried using our phones. The chips kept falling off (n) :thumbsdown:.

Color really is unimportant, but blue would fit in with the Southwest paint scheme, or green with the typical zombie theme, and of course black goes with everything.

Sure, anytime you're ready. Those scraps aren't going anywhere until Jan. Then I might have a big clear out otherwise they go in the trash.

While thinking about something else, my hind brain presented an idea for how to build this. @k9dr did you measure the tables and gap between? If not, @Redbelly can you please get me the dimensions of an airplane table and the gap between? Thanks!!

While thinking about something else, my hind brain presented an idea for how to build this. @k9dr did you measure the tables and gap between? If not, @Redbelly can you please get me the dimensions of an airplane table and the gap between? Thanks!!

Fell asleep on the plane :oops: woke up in Tampa :(

Mini-hijack, but I'm not liking how that pineapple is looking at that chip...

I may be flying to CA in a couple weeks -- are you looking at measurements for Southwest flights only, or would another carrier (like Spirit) work?

You might be able to get by with another carrier provided it's a 737 aircraft. Even then the airlines don't always use the same seats. Because of this Southwest is probably the only airline where there is a prayer of consistency from trip to trip.

My butt will tell you that the seats on a United Airbus A320 are quite different than those of a 737-800/900.

A suggestion - head over to flyertalk.com. It's like chippers with a love for air travel. If you post a request for tray table measurements on WN (don't call it Southwest and you'll get some street cred) 73's you'll probably have six answers within two hours. At least one nerd will have them committed to memory and another will see your post while in flight.

Last edited:
Mini-hijack, but I'm not liking how that pineapple is looking at that chip...

I may be flying to CA in a couple weeks -- are you looking at measurements for Southwest flights only, or would another carrier (like Spirit) work?

I think other carriers would provide useful information too. While Southwest is what we fly (almost exclusively), knowing other measurements would be helpful if we were to make it adjustable.

I was finally able to get some measurements on my Southwest flight to Denver

Just under 17" wide, 10-10.5" tall, 2.5" between trays, and 3.5" between the top of the tray and the seat in front with the seat reclined. I would estimate 4.5-5" if the seat is not reclined. Hope this helps.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Damn, I was thinking there would be room between the trays to drop in two drink holders. I don't think that will work. I recommend beer helmets, chug the beers then mix your GNTs into the cans.

Damn, I was thinking there would be room between the trays to drop in two drink holders. I don't think that will work. I recommend beer helmets, chug the beers then mix your GNTs into the cans.

Very skinny cups? ;)

It's okay, I'd rather not have the drinks between the two players.

Thanks to @slisk250 for reminding me that I needed a place to put my drink in flight.
Special thanks to @k9dr for the measurements - Literally took months off the project timing.
And a very, very special thanks to @T_Chan for the scrap fabric.

The mantra for the day was "well, it's not a Chanman quality table", as trying to develop something that would transform from a briefcase into a poker table ran into numerous logistical hurdles. In the end, we decided to stuff the whole thing into a sight fitting sack and ditched the briefcase idea, but the option to make it a single case is still viable.

...but you want the pr0n, don't you...

How it will travel through airport security:
2017-02-19 16.41.07.jpg

Inside the sack:
2017-02-19 16.41.28.jpg

Briefcase mode (without latches or handle)
2017-02-19 16.41.47.jpg

Open sesame!
2017-02-19 16.42.16.jpg

Set coasters, and insert middle rails - middle rails provide support as that bridges the gap between tables. Plan currently involves using ceramics, with the hope they look less intimidating to the airport xray machine.
2017-02-19 16.43.58.jpg

Board gets a little crowded with poker-size cards. I may pack up bridge size instead, but I am really fond of the Bicycle Prestige card boxes. If we have to pack up in a hurry (like the person in the window set has to pee, or the plane is about to crash) the Prestige box allows packing the cards very quickly.
2017-02-19 16.44.37.jpg

More pics when we get this baby airborne enroute to SQM!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom