Hybrid Ceramic Grand Cardroom Mock-ups (1 Viewer)

Quicksilver-75

4 of a Kind
Reaction score
below are a few denoms of some chips I've been working on. I was going to do a CPC order on these but have decided hybrid ceramic is the way. It's a little more in my price range. But i'm looking for some honest feedback. I'm biased and frankly have been looking at the artwork too long. There is still some colour matching to be done and the project is only about 50% done.....Ceramic development is a PIA....39mm for the 100 and 500, 43mm for the 1000 and 5000
The center image is a separate file and will be a laminated label. The outer part if the chip us obviously the ceramic part and has of yet not had an edge drawn up.

100 chip base.jpg100 chip baseb.jpg500 chip baseb.jpg500 chip base.jpg1000 chip baseb.jpg 1000 chip base.jpg

Last edited:
love the original set and the hybrid ceramic is the perfect chip for version 2.0. a little tough to distinguish between the color on the T100 from the T500, but that might just be the lighting of the mock-up rather than the mock-up itself.

looking forward to seeing how this one progresses :D

I think they look great. I especially like the 500. Those are beautiful pictures. I am curious to see how they look when they are chip size.

I do like the designs.... a lot.

However, I can't help but wonder if the chips would also be outstanding with no text at all covering those gorgeous pics. Just.... natural. Could even refer to the set as 'naturals' or the 'nature' set.

If dead-set on using it, I suppose 'The Grand Cardroom' text could be incorporated in the ceramic text circle (repeating the denomination only twice instead of four times).

Like I said, I very much like your posted designs. But there are so many great ways to go with this one..... I think I'd play around with it a bit, and get really creative with some out-of-the-chip-box thinking -- since your hybrid medium will allow so much more than a clay chip base can provide.

I appreciate the feedback. I desperately tried to use the outer ring as much as possible. In earlier iterations I did try to use the NCV, Tournament Value, ect but found it left the image unbalanced so to speak. The TGC logo I use I would like to keep to maintain a flow between my cash game chips I made way back. So going with an image only as BG recommended would look nice but isn't the way I want to go. So I am now in the process of reducing the size of the logo. On the 43mm I have reduced the logo by 20%. It really frees up the image and actually gives the chip a bigger look.

Thanks again guys.

I really like that 5K, nice job! What about flipping every other floral ornament in the outer ring?

Thanks J5! I did also try that but switched it back because I felt it helps with the direction of the text...like a directional tire tread so to speak..maybe I will revisit the idea.

Cheers.

that looks much better with the smaller logo.

i guess you have the violet dawning sample, so you see how the edge prints, but my concern with these hybrids when i was determining whether to get some for myself was the way text prints on the edge. certainly it's not accurate to say it's blurry, but it's not quite as sharp as text on a matsui or BJ outer ring.

Quicksilver those look amazing. Love that graphics. Favorite is the Orange 5000. My only thought and I have trouble with this and my group is the denom is a little small. I would try to enlarge that a bit if you could.

that looks much better with the smaller logo.

i guess you have the violet dawning sample, so you see how the edge prints, but my concern with these hybrids when i was determining whether to get some for myself was the way text prints on the edge. certainly it's not accurate to say it's blurry, but it's not quite as sharp as text on a matsui or BJ outer ring.

Agreed. I think this is inherently true of all ceramic chips. The Violet Dawning chips printed outer edge I can live with. You're right in saying it isn't sharp but I expect it as the surface is also textured. I think if a white was used it would have presented better than the pinkish white used. The single biggest thing I wanted to stay away from was faux edge spots on the surface and edge. The ones I draw up for these will have very simple spots not unlike a BJ edge look. As far as alignment goes I don't even want to attempt it.

Agreed. I think this is inherently true of all ceramic chips. The Violet Dawning chips printed outer edge I can live with. You're right in saying it isn't sharp but I expect it as the surface is also textured. I think if a white was used it would have presented better than the pinkish white used. The single biggest thing I wanted to stay away from was faux edge spots on the surface and edge. The ones I draw up for these will have very simple spots not unlike a BJ edge look. As far as alignment goes I don't even want to attempt it.

good point re: the pinkish text on the violet dawning chip. without it right in front of me it's hard to picture, but i'm sure that contributed to the hazy-ish look.

with regard to alignment, as i noted in another thread the alignment on the hybrid samples i got from CPC was spectacular. if i could guarantee that level of alignment, i would have zero qualms about it. unfortunately, there are just too many tiny, minuscule things that could go wrong at any point in the process and even a third of a millimeter off would make me wish i'd not tried to align at all. still so tempting, though...

As a PNY fan, I love your design with photos inside the inlays ;)
But be careful about the style of the text of the outer ring, the thin part of the letters might not render very clear on a ceramic chip...
Try to have a sample printed to check this.
AP

OK...So I have never designed ceramics and probably never will again...lol. Anywho's I have taken everybody's observations into consideration. All were valid points and have forced me to rework basically every aspect of the project. But I think it has turned out for the better:

100 VerA.jpg100 VerB.jpg500 VerA.jpg500 VerB.jpg1000 VerA.jpg1000 VerB.jpg5000 VerA.jpg5000 VerB.jpg

I like all of the recent sizing changes, including the 3x perimeter text treatment.

However, I'd be very concerned with chips getting lost and confused in pots, without more 'base' color being visible on each design -- especially since you are using two different photos per chip.

Red chips need more red, purple chips need more purple, etc. Right now it's mostly just a sea of white with pretty pictures. That extra band of color (post #1) makes a world of difference.

Yeah. As soon as I posted these I noticed the same thing. The white is very dominant. As a result I am now reducing the white ring by two Pix and the font by 1. The good old "impact" font would be legible from the moon in that size. I also changed the leaf to echo shades found on the inner ring. I really feel I need an inner ring to create a bridge to the yet unmade edge ribbon. Hopefully this trimming will help show a little more chip skin.;)

If someone who has made ceramics reads this I would love to verify the measurements for the edge strips. For 39mm I have 125.5 mm x 3.3, and 43mm I have 135mm x 3.3mm

1000 VerB.jpg5000 VerB.jpg100 VerB.jpg500 VerA.jpg

Last edited:
Have you considered or has it been mentioned having the white ring in color and having the text white? It'll show more of the chips actual color on the face and help distinguish the chips.

The length of the running edge should be 122.5211 cm. The width may vary depending on manufacturer. In fact, I would check on length as well - they may want some overlap to reduce the chance of the blank white chip showing.

Where is the dessert set with a cactus, tumble weed, sand, and dirt roads? :p
Can they be called Grand Cold Room? Those pics give me the chills. :p

Last edited:
Where is the dessert set with a cactus, tumble weed, sand, and dirt roads? :p
Can they be called Grand Cold Room? Those pics give me the chills. :p

Trust me. Nothing would make me happier to have pictures of Palm trees and women in bikinis sipping margaritas. Sadly that isn't my reality. My backyard backs onto the Grand River. It is a pretty big deal where I live. Besides. I would happily live in a forest setting than the city or otherwise.

Trust me. Nothing would make me happier to have pictures of Palm trees and women in bikinis sipping margaritas. Sadly that isn't my reality. My backyard backs onto the Grand River. It is a pretty big deal where I live. Besides. I would happily live in a forest setting than the city or otherwise.

I love the cold and outdoors. I been trying to talk the wife into moving to Alaska or Whitefish MT for years. She isn't having it. :(

Redone addressing the color issues. I printed out a lot of the proper sized white ringed versions and threw them into a pile. Surprisingly they were easily identifiable. My only concern is that may be because I am ultra familiar with the art.

so....

500 tinted chip base.jpg100 tinted chip base.jpg1000 tinted chip base.jpg5000 tinted chip base.jpg

I like. Just enough color to make a difference without being overpowering.

Cheers guys. I have since further toned down the colours and widened the distance between the ring used on the 100 and 1000. The we're a little too close to each other. I will say that this is my first time using CMYK and it is a huge pain in the ass...i just can't get used to it...

Thanks to all for your input. It has helped greatly. Now I can move on to the edges and get these off for print!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom