How to host a home tournament. (1 Viewer)

If you serve spicy food -- like my Texas chili, which is, shall we say, somewhat assertive -- make sure you keep a large fruit-scented candle burning in the bathroom. Especially if you have a couple of larger (300 lb plus) regulars (no pun intended).

You're gonna have to trust me on this one...

Do you send flowers to your players' spouses for the day after fallout?

I did forget to mention that all players are charge $5 for food and drink. Most of the time the total cost of food outweighs the price charged. No one complains, and my wife and I love to host, so it's all good.

Be very careful with this. One of the local games here in town was almost shut down by authorities because the host was charging $5 for food. Asking for money for food, even if at cost, constitutes a rake in the state of Washington. Consult your local gaming laws.

I use PokerDIY in Win10 laptop...works fine. That said, I also have an old laptop around with it...having a pc graveyard for an office has a few advantages.

Teamviewer > VNC for different rooms, since it can send audio as well. VNC works well in the same room if you want multiple screens. That said, VNC recently went cloud-based, so I'm not upgrading it past v5. Last I checked, Teamviewer still has local lan-only capabilities.

Re teamviewer - can it be set up so that multiple people can see the screens on their phones but only one can actually update it? I have the free version of VNC which doesn't have this.

Re teamviewer - can it be set up so that multiple people can see the screens on their phones but only one can actually update it? I have the free version of VNC which doesn't have this.

I'll check. That said, I use the free version of VNC, and the server can be set up to allow you to have it give update or view-only access, with a default of view-only after a timeout period. That is how I use it...I generally have a tablet in view-only mode in the opposite end of the room from the laptop, and my phone has control.

I'll check. That said, I use the free version of VNC, and the server can be set up to allow you to have it give update or view-only access, with a default of view-only after a timeout period. That is how I use it...I generally have a tablet in view-only mode in the opposite end of the room from the laptop, and my phone has control.

Ah really? I understood that - with the free version at least - if you had multiple "users" or phones etc they could either all have view access only, or they could all have "change" access.

Hmmm...I'll check. I know I have a license key, but I can't recall if I bought it or if it was a free-for-personal-use license. I'll test it.

I use a combination of TeamViewer and VNC. If you have too many computers connecting to the main clock computer you run the risk of using it commercially. I know because I've had them flag my account for commercial use. I had to explain how I was using TV and they told me that any more than 2 connections to the SAME computer risks commercial usage. If people want to have their players watch a clock, Tournament Director pushes that information to a website. I have a the clock running online so when people are either away from the table or on their way to the game they can go online and see where we are in the game.

Desktop version
upload_2017-5-3_10-32-32.png

Mobile version
upload_2017-5-3_10-33-12.png

If people want to have their players watch a clock, Tournament Director pushes that information to a website. I have a the clock running online so when people are either away from the table or on their way to the game they can go online and see where we are in the game.

Can you explain, simply and patiently, so a simple man can understand, how you do that?

If you have too many computers connecting to the main clock computer you run the risk of using it commercially. I know because I've had them flag my account for commercial use. I had to explain how I was using TV and they told me that any more than 2 connections to the SAME computer risks commercial usage.

Did they contact you? I've been connecting 2-4 computers for years now (at least since TV6 circa 2011), but never had an issue beyond a pop-up window when I was shutting down connections.

I could tell you, but then I'd have to kill you.

JUST KIDDING!!!!!

I run Tournament Director.

Pre-requisites:
1) Tournament Director
2) Domain (in my case I'm using hitmenpoker.com)
3) The zip files that I can email to you if you give me your addy. I am unable to put them in this message. (These are the ones that I have edited for my use.)
4) Filezilla to upload initial files.

Ok, moving on,

Edit the Tournamentstatus.js

upload_2017-5-3_11-12-33.png

Outlined in red are the variables and settings to upload and show. Make your changes or use mine, and upload the entire directory to your domain. In my case I have a sub-domain, and I have called it mobile.hitmenpoker.com

In the preference settings, make sure you have this setup, with the exception, change it to reflect your domain in the "Send the status of the tournament to a URL:".

upload_2017-5-3_10-55-14.png

That is all you need to make it run.

If you have any questions pm me or email me john@hitmen.poker

Did they contact you? I've been connecting 2-4 computers for years now (at least since TV6 circa 2011), but never had an issue beyond a pop-up window when I was shutting down connections.

When I connected to the poker computer or any other computer, I got "Commercial Use Suspected" as a pop-up. I did some reading, and after about 10 or so tries of connecting, they will shut you down. I contacted support and explained my situation.

I could tell you, but then I'd have to kill you.

JUST KIDDING!!!!!

I run Tournament Director.

Pre-requisites:
1) Tournament Director
2) Domain (in my case I'm using hitmenpoker.com)
3) The zip files that I can email to you if you give me your addy. I am unable to put them in this message. (These are the ones that I have edited for my use.)
4) Filezilla to upload initial files.

Ok, moving on,

Edit the Tournamentstatus.js

View attachment 96638

Outlined in red are the variables and settings to upload and show. Make your changes or use mine, and upload the entire directory to your domain. In my case I have a sub-domain, and I have called it mobile.hitmenpoker.com

In the preference settings, make sure you have this setup, with the exception, change it to reflect your domain in the "Send the status of the tournament to a URL:".

View attachment 96637

That is all you need to make it run.

If you have any questions pm me or email me john@hitmen.poker

Head-Exploding.gif

When I connected to the poker computer or any other computer, I got "Commercial Use Suspected" as a pop-up. I did some reading, and after about 10 or so tries of connecting, they will shut you down. I contacted support and explained my situation.

Are you signing in? When I use TeamViewer, I never do, and use LAN connections only. I don't think I've ever given them my email address or any personal information.

Last edited:
Hmmm...I'll check. I know I have a license key, but I can't recall if I bought it or if it was a free-for-personal-use license. I'll test it.

Ok, when I got RealVNC v4 and upgraded to v5, I got the free-for-personal-use license from their site, as you had to have some kind of license key from them in order to use RealVNC. I haven't tried v 6 aka VNC Connect, but they have a free-for-5-PC connections home license. It seems to be cloud-based, though, and I don't see any reason to have my PC's access the internet for this.

So, I'm using my RealVNC 5 installation. If you have that...

1) install and fire up VNC Server (I tend to use user mode, because I don't want it running all of the time).

RealVNC01.jpg

2) I'm not changing anything in the normal options.
RealVNC02.jpg

3) Go into the Expert Options, and update QueryConnect to "True", and set the QueryTimeout to a value (I use 20 seconds).
RealVNC03.jpg

If you set the QueryTimeoutRights to "sv", then the default option used if you do nothing in response to the connection query pop-up on the server will be view-only. This is important!

While you are in there, look for TimeOut, and set the ConnTimeout and IdleTimeouts to 0 to disable them.

4) Connect from the remote machines. When you do, a pop-up will appear on the server for 20 seconds.

RealVNC04.jpg

If you click on "Accept", that remote viewer has full control. If you select "view-only" or do nothing, then the connection will get view-only access.

5) I generally only have a few machines running in the room.
RealVNC05.jpg

6) You can check the usage of any connection by right-clicking on the VNC icon in the notification area (should be black with VNC in it if there are connections) and clicking on Connections...
RealVNC07.jpg

And that's it! I haven't tried VNC Connect yet. I'll give it a whirl on one of my PC's to see if I can set it up to use a LAN connection with the "free" Home licensing, or if I have to use their cloud services.

If you have a ChromeCast, you can use the "Cast Desktop" on the PC running the tournament software to cast the desktop.

1) Open Chrome, select the Cast icon in the upper right corner. On the blue bar on the top of the Cast pop-up, click on the triangle and select Cast Desktop. Then select the device.

ChomeCast01.jpg

I haven't tried the "Share Audio" option myself. Not sure how well that would work.

2) Once you are successfully casting, minimize Chrome and maximize the tournament software.
ChromeCast03.jpg

It's handy if you have it. Unfortunately, it doesn't work with my Roku3.

Back in the day, I could build computers from parts and then write programs to make them work. When I finally upgraded to a smart phone last year, it took me two days to figure out just how to answer a damn phone call. Being a tech guy isn't the same thing these days.

I'm in the same boat as BG. Back in the day, when someone would ask what kind of computer I had, I would explain "x86, XX ram, xxMB hard drive." and they would stare blankly and respond "Is it a Dell, or an Acer?"

While I'm not as far behind as all that (yet), I do have to pull up the specs to remember what I actually have, and I have not opened my new case once (and I've had the new computer for over a month). And don't even get me started on how much I hate the overly "helpful" Windows 10.

Are you signing in? When I use TeamViewer, I never do, and use LAN connections only. I don't think I've ever given them my email address or any personal information.

I use the internet connection. I occasionally find myself needing a file or something off my home system when I am at work. If Mrs Zombie is home, I can have her fire up the box, and load TeamViewer. Then I can remote in and do what I need to do instead of waiting until tomorrow. We have a secondary internet connection (T-Mobile), just in case we lose the primary one (Comcast), because the music is also streamed (Spotify).

Blind Valet (https://blindvalet.com/#/) is great:
  • Real time synchronization across all devices. Run multiple displays, mobile devices, tablets, whatever
  • Tourney director can manage the game from any device
  • Players can get blind structures, payouts, and can join leagues and register themselves for games
  • Calculates blind structures and payouts
Best part is that it's free, but I choose to donate about $20/yr.

As far as food, last game I had sandwiches, chips, pretzels, choco chip cookies, beer, water, soda, and assorted bourbons. Charged $5/ for the food.

Got to finally use the new Atlantic Clubs and a new, awesome basic oval from T_Chan! Other than the fact that the table now has a choco stain and my cat decided to use the felt as a scratching pad :eek:, it was a great time!

table_zpsjqj31mjf.jpg

and my cat decided to use the felt as a scratching pad

A common problem. Easily solved...

Hey, cat. Don't do that. Don't you remember Mr Biggles worth used to do that?

Meow?

You remember Mr Bigglesworth, don't you?

Meow?

Sure, here's a picture of him after he scratched up my old rail...
00o0o_aggyefifd08_1200x900-jpg.96336

We technically classify our events as dinner parties. $20 buys you dinner. Desert is free for poker players that are still in the event, otherwise it is also $20, and you get a new supply of chips if you pay for desert. I supply prizes for poker, out of the goodness of my heart. I don't want to find out if this would hold up in court, but it's my story and I'm sticking to it.

@Mrs Poker Zombie is second in our league this season (@Ben leads). Maybe it would be cheaper just to bribe the spouse...

I noticed this year at @Mr Tree 's shootout, he bought disposable hand towels. I know that by the end of a 16 player event, our hand towels (in 2 bathrooms) are saturated with water. Depending on the size of your event, this is a brilliant move.
The only way to fly.

IMG_5639.JPG

My spouse is actually leading the points leader board for this season!

This seems to be taking bribing the spouse a bit far! ;)

This is a great topic. Here are some things just to provide other ideas.

Table Top ideas ~
  • I have two neoprene pads (94" dining and 82" kitchen) and I put neoprene table toppers on top of the pads. Nice padded surface, very durable, and looks nice.
  • When I have a 3rd table, I have a Poker Hoody that sits on top of a rug pad. That table is just a table top that sits on top of 2 half-moon shaped legs.
  • None are as nice as a custom poker table, but I don't have that as an option. But these are way better than fold out tops or hard surfaces.
For food/drinks ~
  • We typically do one tournament designed to last 4-4.5 hours. It's a freeze out tournament and most leave when knocked out. That affects what we do for food.
  • My biggest issue is no surprises. In the invitation, I don't create the expectation that we will provide anything to eat and state it is BYOB. Given our tournament starts at 7:15 on a Friday night, most players eat before coming or on the way.
  • The invitation says if my players want anything, they bring snacks to share. Sometimes we have a lot, and sometimes none at all.
  • 1-3 times a year we'll (the "we" is my wife) make punch and announce it, and the occasional snack. Vegetable and cheese trays have gone over well. That is also announced in the invitation.
  • I provide water, and I could get someone a very limited choice of soda (Dr Pepper and maybe one other). We don't keep a lot of soda and I don't drink beer. I do provide a fridge and even an ice chest for BYOB.
  • 2 hours into our normal game, we have a 20 minute break for snacks and visiting.
  • For our annual Main Event, we have a formal dinner break. The last couple of years we've done chili pie with fixings and chicken nuggets from Chick Filet. They bring some kind of cookies too. It's gone over better than the pizza we used to do. Buy-in fee covers food. One of my couples handles the food and works within a budget for it. Others can bring stuff to supplement.
  • I considered a pot luck one year, but several players said they'd just top by the store and pick something up. Virtually impossible to coordinate so I didn't do it. They preferred paying someone else to do it.
  • I have some who bring something every time. Most bring something sometimes. Some never bring anything. No one has every complained.
  • I don't disallow drinks on the table, but encourage people to set drinks on the floor beside them with a full table.
  • I don't disallow snacks, but do encourage people to not bring messy stuff. Anything messy is consumed during the break.
I'm low tech ~
  • My blind schedule is done on an Excel spreadsheet, color-coded, printed, and put in an acrylic stand that is easy to see. I have one at each table.
  • I create my own blind schedules.
  • My timer is a kitchen timer.
  • I would like to do computers, but since it's our dining room and kitchen, temporary setups are a pain and too easy to knock over in the available space. I we played in different rooms, that would be more feasible.
Music ~
  • I use our TV with its sound system, but just loud enough to be heard in the background. It's situated between the dining room and kitchen, but when I have a third table, it's in the living area with the TV, so I don't run it loud.
  • I've done 70s, 80s, etc. rock, pop, blue grass, movie themes, but mostly country. Except in December, players don't seem to care.
  • Christmas music in December. Sometimes pop and traditional. Sometimes instrumental, vocal, and a mix.
  • I love classical, but that would put some players to sleep.
  • We've sometimes done CDs on a changer.
  • Sometimes I forget, and no one seems to notice.
General ~
  • Good idea to keep paper towels near each table.
  • I keep plastic cups and napkins available.
  • When serving food for our main event, we provide plastic wear, bowls, and plates.
Organization ~
  • I think the real key to success is organization. There are a lot of ways to be organized.
  • I have a setup of 2 decks in the boxes on the table. Cards are put away in order so the dealer can easily see all cards are there. Cut cards are already in the boxes.
  • I use custom dealer plaques that have a different look on each side. When it gets to me, I try to remember to flip it over.
  • I use 4x25 chip boxes. They are stacked on the table so dealers can distribute chips.
  • I use one sheet that allows me to sign in my maximum 30 players, put in 11 spaces for the final table, and then record the order of finish for the final table. It requires one sheet of paper and a pen, and I use a clip board.
  • I have a box labeled Voluntary Card Fund. I explain that we replace cards by voluntary donation. We average around $1 per player per time in donations and it's used to replace cards. I do not track at all who contributes.
  • If we get way ahead on the card fund, I'll do something special for Christmas or a special night.
  • A rolling tea cart provides a nice platform for game organization.
  • In the kitchen I have a counter top right by the table for that games chips and card boxes.
Invitations ~
  • I use email.
  • One of my players announces it on FB.
  • I tried Meetup once. I did get 7 players who were new who came through that, but honestly it almost destroyed my game. I'm not sure of the reasons, but a few players said "If that's what you are going to do to get players, count me out."
  • I tried a website, but abandoned it because I didn't want my address out there where anyone can see it. The FB is one people have to sign up for, and emails are much more controllable.
  • Some use text, which I think is pretty controllable. I'll sometimes text a specific player or two under some circumstances (like someone tells me their computer is in the shop).

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom