How to host a home tournament. (1 Viewer)

Mesnik44

3 of a Kind
Supporter
Reaction score
Recently there have been a few posts about hosting a home game. I thought it would be a nice idea to share how I host at Hitmen Poker.

First - I'm not a professional host, nor do I play one on television.
Second - These are my own thoughts and ideas, and do not represent the one and only way to host.

Cost to host a tournament:
Well not to point out the obvious, you need to spend some money on chips, cards, and a playing surface.

Table:
If you are starting from scratch, I would highly recommend a table topper. I've seen these run from $35 to $99. They are both inexpensive and well worth the cost. You can roll these up and store them fairly easy.
If you want to have a table that you would like to be a permanent fixture they will range in price from $199 to unlimited. @T_Chan (ChanmanPokerTables) makes an extremely nice and totally customizable table. Expect to pay between $800 and $4,000. In my own opinion, well worth the price. The workmanship is out of this world and I promise you will not be disappointed.

You will also need 8 to 10 chairs. Try to make these as comfortable as you can. Remember you and your players may be sitting on these for up to 6 to 8 hours. I really lucked out and got Gasser-like chairs from a hotel that wanted to rid themselves of 200 of them. These were used in their conference rooms. My understanding is Costco and Amazon sell fold-able cushioned chairs for cheap.
$99 - $4,000
Cards:
You should have 2 decks of cards. Plastic is preferred over paper / cardboard. The reason for this, is in poker, people bend the cards a lot. Paper tends to hold it's shape. Plastic will not hold its shape and therefore last a lot longer. You should expect to pay anywhere from $15 to $25 for a nice setup. Popular brands are KEM, Copag, & Modiano. There are others out there are worth looking into. Make sure you have cut cards for the bottom of each deck while dealing. There are 2 popular sizes for decks, Poker and Bridge. Poker size (2.5 inches wide by 3.5 inches tall), and probably best for Hold'em. Bridge sized (2.25 inches wide by 3.5 inches tall), and best for Omaha, SOHE, or any other game that requires you to have more than 2 hole or other cards.
$25

Poker chips:
Starting out, I'm certain that nearly all of us have used dice chips. You can buy these from Costco, Walmart, or any place that has games. While these will do the job, I would recommend spending a few more dollars and looking into China Clays. These chips have a multitude of designs, and have a better feeling and sound to them than the dice chips. The more you host, and the more you read this fantastic site, you will want higher end clay chips. I am NOT an exbert, but I would rank the chips in this order from worst to best; Dice and the like 6¢/per, China Clay (Nexgen, Claysmith) 10¢-30¢/per, Ceramic 32¢-95¢/per, Clay(Paulson, ASM, CPC) $1.20 - ?? /per. You also have an option of buying chips and relabeling them. @Gear does fantastic work.

Keep in mind you will need about 500 chips to host a 10 person tournament. Popular values are; $25, $100, $500, $1000 and $5000. To make life simple, I'll use a T-10,000 example for a tournament stack.
$25 x 12 (x10 players) = 120 + ~30 more for color ups, rebuys, spares, whatever.
$100 x 12 (x10 players) = 120 + ~30 more for color ups, rebuys, spares, whatever.
$500 x 3 (x10 players) = 30 +~20 more for color ups, rebuys, spares, and to make a nice round number.
$1000 x 7 (x10 players) = 70 + ~30 more for color ups, rebuys, spares, and to make a nice round number.
$5000 = 20 for color ups, and rebuys.
Total chips = 470.
$150 - ???

This is not the be-all-end-all starting chip stack, but rather a starters guide.

Clock or Time keeping:
I use TD or The Tournament Director. It is super customizable and does everything I need. It works right out of the box, and the only thing you need to do is add players. The creator of TD, Corey, is super helpful. The message boards are really active, and Corey responds to questions within a day or so, more often than not, sooner. Other people are fine with iPhone or Android apps, and those work too. There are plenty of options out there, pick one. Blind levels are another thing to think about. If you are stuck, @BGinGA is the resident expert to ask. I have on several occasions, and he has been super helpful.
$39.99 for TD

Rules:
There are many sites on the web that have the basic rules of poker. I would highly recommend downloading and printing out a set.

Food:

I have a hot dog warmer, kind of like the ones you see at a 7-11 or convenience store. I buy 2 packs of hot dogs and buns. I also have a veggie tray, meat and cheese tray, potato chips, and sometimes will make a soup or stew. Just remember to keep it simple, and keep it clean. By this I mean you don't want your guests to be slopping food all over the chips, cards, and table. I actually forbid eating at my ChanmanTable. Contain the grease. I think that is the most important rule. Lots of people out there also just buy a few loaves of bread and some sandwich meat. Easy peasy. Expect to pay about $80 - $100. It seems a little high, but when you add in all the varieties of food you put out there, it really adds up. Cheese is expensive, keep that in mind. I also try my best to supply chocolate bars and candy.
$40 - $80

Drink:
I buy a minimum of 4 flavors of sodas. Coke/Pepsi, Coke Zero, Sprite/7-up, Dr. Pepper, Mountain Dew are all ones I stock. I fill my poker fridge up, and players grab them when they want. I also have a water cooler and plenty of water bottles. Sometimes, players will bring their own beer, and at the end of the night they will leave it for me. In this case, I just turn around and offer it at the next game. No one has had a problem with that in the past and I think it works well. I have a real problem with drinking and driving so I rarely offer my own alcohol. I've lost too many friends, and almost lost my sister to a drunk driver. Just be very careful in offering booze. In some places, YOU are responsible for your guests drinking in your home. In British Columbia, a bar or pub owner can be sued for over serving. Ask me how I know? Go on....I have an acquaintance that lost his pub because of over serving and being sued.
$20 - $30
Well there it is. I hope this is helpful to those that have read this far. If you want to go into more detail and get super fancy with your set up (such as card readers, receipts, etc) feel free to drop me a PM. I'm no pro, but this has worked out well for me, and I believe my players have a good time.

Last edited:
I really like PokerDIY, but it requires MS SilverLight, and support for that is dropping very quickly. Many browsers will refuse to load it, and Firefox will eventually drop support in 2018. If you want it, get it and install it locally sooner rather then later.

I use TD on a laptop/big telly with VNC on my android phone so I can control it remotely - the whole VNC thing is completely unnecessary if you're not tracking players (i.e. you're not bothered about ranks or stats) but it's extra handy when you have to make frequent changes (bust outs, rebuys etc) and of course you'll also have the blinds etc on your phone - useful when you have your back to the telly!

Paper tends to hold it's shape. Plastic will not hold its shape

I think you got these crossed, but I get what you were going for. Plastic cards snap back to flat after you peek at your cards, paper cards will not.

I'm also a big fan of PokerDIY. I was fearful when I switched to WIN 10, because I depend on this software and TeamViewer. TeamViewer (like VNC) allows me to project to multiple computers, so I set up old, outdated laptops to also carry the clock. 2 in the main room, up to 2 in the kitchen/overflow poker room, and one outside for the smokers.

You should also consider music. People really like ambient a little something in the background. It is best to find something middle-ground for tunes. I know that even if the game was good, I'd be out if the only thing they ever played was Garth Brooks.

Great guide. Thanks for posting. I will add that breaking 30min for dinner is a pretty good idea to preserve your table. No food other than snack bowls get served at mine. Dinner involves sloppy meat and drunk carnivores so this approach works for me

You should also consider music. People really like ambient a little something in the background. It is best to find something middle-ground for tunes. I know that even if the game was good, I'd be out if the only thing they ever played was Garth Brooks.
Sports on the tv

Great guide. Thanks for posting. I will add that breaking 30min for dinner is a pretty good idea to preserve your table. No food other than snack bowls get served at mine. Dinner involves sloppy meat and drunk carnivores so this approach works for me

I go one step further - I serve dinner before the game. Late arrivals, No more! Also, no rush to get back to the table, so there is plenty of time for proper hand washing after dinner. I still resist the urge to do messy finger-foods, but chicken wings have made an appearance. I just put out tons of wet-wipes and Mrs Zombie handed them out to players that went back for more wings on break.

Sports on the tv

I actually avoid TV at all costs. I want folks to have fun, but nothing is more aggravating than a constant distraction that sucks in your players, and holds up the game. Granted, if you're looking to take advantage of people, by all means put on the game and make sure the fish are facing it. :). If you're not paying attention to the action, you're missing vital info and player reads.

I try to have some decent music in the background,

You forgot bribing the spouse cost, clean up costs, and replacing things that were broken costs.

And bathroom supplies, don't forget the hand towels and plunger costs ;)

Well maybe you guys shouldn't be serving all that food!
Seriously though, I'm shocked by the food reports I read here. I mean if you want to have a dinner party before every poker game, go for it. But in my mind, poker food is chips, nuts, pretzels, maybe some candy - snacks is plenty. I'll admit, I like the idea of the hot dog roller machine.
But this concept of serving all this food, that seems to be an important part of the poker experience to ha lot of people, is totally foreign to me.

You forgot bribing the spouse cost, clean up costs, and replacing things that were broken costs.

My spouse is actually leading the points leader board for this season!

My food mostly consists of asking folks to bring a six-pack or a snack to share. I have some beverages and snacks on hand, but I host too much to feed 20-30 people once a month.

I've never heard of anyone complaining about the lack of things to eat/drink.

Once a year (not including the MTTD) I host and have a decent spread of food.

I actually avoid TV at all costs. I want folks to have fun, but nothing is more aggravating than a constant distraction that sucks in your players, and holds up the game. Granted, if you're looking to take advantage of people, by all means put on the game and make sure the fish are facing it. :). If you're not paying attention to the action, you're missing vital info and player reads.

I tried sports a couple of times. It sucks. Not that it slows the game down, but more that people are waaaaaay less social if they have a box to focus on. With no TV, loud music playing and lots of beer flowing, people are yelling across the table and laughing and having a great time.

I'm also a big fan of PokerDIY. I was fearful when I switched to WIN 10, because I depend on this software and TeamViewer. TeamViewer (like VNC) allows me to project to multiple computers, so I set up old, outdated laptops to also carry the clock. 2 in the main room, up to 2 in the kitchen/overflow poker room, and one outside for the smokers.

I use PokerDIY in Win10 laptop...works fine. That said, I also have an old laptop around with it...having a pc graveyard for an office has a few advantages.

Teamviewer > VNC for different rooms, since it can send audio as well. VNC works well in the same room if you want multiple screens. That said, VNC recently went cloud-based, so I'm not upgrading it past v5. Last I checked, Teamviewer still has local lan-only capabilities.

If you serve spicy food -- like my Texas chili, which is, shall we say, somewhat assertive -- make sure you keep a large fruit-scented candle burning in the bathroom. Especially if you have a couple of larger (300 lb plus) regulars (no pun intended).

You're gonna have to trust me on this one...

Well maybe you guys shouldn't be serving all that food!
Seriously though, I'm shocked by the food reports I read here. I mean if you want to have a dinner party before every poker game, go for it. But in my mind, poker food is chips, nuts, pretzels, maybe some candy - snacks is plenty. I'll admit, I like the idea of the hot dog roller machine.
But this concept of serving all this food, that seems to be an important part of the poker experience to ha lot of people, is totally foreign to me.

We technically classify our events as dinner parties. $20 buys you dinner. Desert is free for poker players that are still in the event, otherwise it is also $20, and you get a new supply of chips if you pay for desert. I supply prizes for poker, out of the goodness of my heart. I don't want to find out if this would hold up in court, but it's my story and I'm sticking to it.

My spouse is actually leading the points leader board for this season!

@Mrs Poker Zombie is second in our league this season (@Ben leads). Maybe it would be cheaper just to bribe the spouse...

I noticed this year at @Mr Tree 's shootout, he bought disposable hand towels. I know that by the end of a 16 player event, our hand towels (in 2 bathrooms) are saturated with water. Depending on the size of your event, this is a brilliant move.

Im with Trihonda and PokerZombie, Music.... I have created a station on Pandora (called POKER NIGHT) and over the years I add music that my players like, and now everyone hears a few songs and genres they like, I get repeated comments on the music.. @Shaggy can attest to this..

Re: Food & Drink:
I bought a hot dog roller a couple years ago and it is the nuts! I put on those Johnsonville pre-cooked brats (and/or some hot dogs), buy some buns and we're good. People are also asked to bring some kind of dish to pass or toss a couple bucks into the food kitty. Out of the kitty I buy brats and other items like fixin's for chili or mac & cheese that I'll usually make. I've got a couple regs who will bring homemade chocolate chip cookies and deviled eggs on a regular basis....great food for poker.
We usually play for 1 hour, then take a food break.
Drinks....I don't even try to provide any considering all the different tastes of my group. I'll provide a bag of ice, and everyone brings their own drinks.

Now that I think about it, the poker rooms I play in have both music and sports on TV. Everybody wins.

I did forget to mention that all players are charge $5 for food and drink. Most of the time the total cost of food outweighs the price charged. No one complains, and my wife and I love to host, so it's all good.

I noticed this year at @Mr Tree 's shootout, he bought disposable hand towels. I know that by the end of a 16 player event, our hand towels (in 2 bathrooms) are saturated with water. Depending on the size of your event, this is a brilliant move.

I take advantage of both, I have towels available for use as well as paper towels for those who prefer the disposable option and to prevent the towels from getting too wet over the course of the night.

Many moons ago, our first poker gathering was a mix of company friends/co-workers and backgammon players, held in one of the co-workers home on a Saturday afternoon/evening. 24 people, two scheduled tournaments (ended up running four, well into the wee hours), with a formal dinner break between the first and second tournament (around 5 p.m.). The hosts served grilled hamburgers and hot dogs, along with supplying water/soft drinks and snacks from noon to after 2:00 a.m. That's a long time to go without eating anything but M&Ms and Chex mix. BYOB has always been the norm; some do, most don't. People made donations to help cover expenses; most contributed, some didn't.

The format stuck, with a few minor tweaks over the years and 300+ tournaments. Today's poker league event days start at 1:00 p.m. (doors open a half-hour earlier), formal dinner break around 6:00 p.m, second event starts at 6:45 p.m. and typically finishes by midnight. Tournament entry fees include a hospitality charge which is passed on to the host (the league game location rotates among several different homes over the course of a season). Snacks/water/soft drinks are always supplied, as is a decent meal provided by the host - either prepared, purchased, or catered. Menu items run the full gambit from pizzas, BBQ pork/ribs/chicken, chili/mac & cheese, subs, chicken fingers, Chinese food, Mexican food, spaghetti/meatballs, lasagna, and the like, and usually a dessert is included. A few hosts open their liquor cabinets or offer wine if appropriate to the meal. The hosts rarely break even, but don't expect to. Often the tournament winners will toss in an extra $20 to the house to help out.

The day's focus is still on playing cards, but dinners at our poker events are sorta like Gump's bowl of cherries. and sometimes side action breaks out during the first tournament as to what will be on the menu (based on smells and other clues). Works for us.

I tried sports a couple of times. It sucks. Not that it slows the game down, but more that people are waaaaaay less social if they have a box to focus on. With no TV, loud music playing and lots of beer flowing, people are yelling across the table and laughing and having a great time.
My only exception is if there's a major sporting event going on, like home team in the playoffs. Then you kind of need to have it going otherwise half the players are going to be on their phones either watching or constantly checking the score. I find it easy to have football or baseball on in the background because the action is so spread out; you can set the volume at a background level and people will look up when the announcers get excited but otherwise stick to the table. Hockey and basketball are harder because of the constant action.

My wife wanted me to have a tournament during our Super Bowl party. I decided that mixing events would be too much trouble. So instead I ran a short tournament a few hours before the game with everyone welcome to stay after as the non-players arrived for the party. I heard a rumor that some fellas ran a squares bet in the basement and made gamblers out of some of the non-players. Since that would be illegal gambling I sent my five year old down to check. She came back up with two pieces of pizza and nothing to report. Indeed, it must have been just a rumor.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom