Cash Game How Rude Was This? (1 Viewer)

Trihonda

Straight Flush
Supporter
Reaction score
OK, setting:

Local bar 1/2 game last night. Raked, Dealers, nice chips/tables, skilled crafty players (often times professional players).

Me, $320 stack in late position with K-10 suited up against a villain who is very loose. Our villain has a VPIP of around 70%, and it's usually him opening for $12-20 pre. He's either got the goods or on complete air, rarely in between. His stack has me well covered.

Pre, our villain opens betting in early position with $12, and gets two callers, and I come along (limp).

Flop is 2K9 rainbow, and villain bets out $20. I pop it up to $60, and villain repops to $160 total. I'm looking down at my remaining $240ish. If I just flat, I'll only have $140 left (pot committed with top pair IMHO). Villain has nothing, or AK.

I tank for a few mins trying to get a read on our villain, and replay the hand. I know I'm folding or shoving. Shoving my remaining $240 is something I want to think through. I think the table understands there is a potential $700 hand in play, and is respectfully quiet... with one exception:

While I'm debating, I am in super concentration mode (trying to get a read on our villain). I'm focusing hard, and have my chip protector (a Par-A-Dice Orange 1000 chip) in my hand, flipping it between my fingers. I'm staring at the felt, and ignoring all outside distractions. I don't want to give any unecessary info to our villain.

However, the guy to my right (who seems oblivious to the action), asks me loudly "Hey, what's the chip ya got there?"... I don't want to interact with this guy right now, so I ignore him - thinking he'll get the point that I'm in a hand. He then repeats "Hey, what's that orange chip ya got?... When I ignore him, he turns to the table and announces "I guess you're gonna be rude and ignore me?"... At this, I turn to him and explain (maybe not so nicely) that I'm in the middle of a hand, and he shuts up.

Now, I think it's a 50-50 proposition on whether I was ahead, and I didn't want to risk my stack on even odds. I eventually fold and pick another spot to do battle. I finished up nicely for the session, so it worked out.

I know the loudmouth was being rude and unaware of the action. I just wanted to vent.

If there are not people (probably like me) who are not paying enough attention, it would be harder to make money, so embrace the ignorant, for they fuel your habit. I assume you don't know if he had you beat.

BiGGyT

i don't think i've ever seen a live game without at least one of these guys at the table. in some places (taj, commerce, etc.), a guy's voice is the most pleasant thing you'll find in your ear.

work on either (a) tuning these guys out or (b) being able to play while others talk or live poker is going to be an unpleasant experience.

Shoulda shoved.

Probably right odds... I'm horrible at the maff... Better at reading people. But let me take a stab (off the top of my head)... $268 in the pot, so I'm risking $240 more to win a total pot of $700, and only have to be right ~40% of the time? With this guy, he's probably bluffing 40%+ of the time. However, it was for all the chippies. I had more fishy people I wanted to get my money against. Again, not sure of the math, but my instincts told me there were better spots to gambol.

work on either (a) tuning these guys out or (b) being able to play while others talk or live poker is going to be an unpleasant experience.

I'm usually pretty good at tuning people out... I didn't care that he was talking to me, I was happy to ignore him, but when he started announcing to the table that I was being rude, I fired back at him briefly. After the hand was over, I calmly chatted with him, explained why he was out of line, and then was happy to show off the pretty orange chippie. We became fast friends (well, I became more acquainted with his chips). :)

Last edited:
Probably right odds... I'm horrible at the maff... Better at reading people. But let me take a stab (off the top of my head)... $268 in the pot, so I'm risking $240 more to win a total pot of $700, and only have to be right ~40% of the time? With this guy, he's probably bluffing 40%+ of the time. However, it was for all the chippies. I had more fishy people I wanted to get my money against. Again, not sure of the math, but my instincts told me there were better spots to gambol.

I'm usually pretty good at tuning people out... I didn't care that he was talking to me, I was happy to ignore him, but when he started announcing to the table that I was being rude, I fired back at him briefly. After the hand was over, I calmly chatted with him, explained why he was out of line, and then was happy to show off the pretty orange chippie. We became fast friends (well, I became more acquainted with his chips). :)
So you made him your bff? Best fish friend. Lot of guys who just don't know. Good on you to follow up with him and hopefully he learned some ettiquette.

Not rude at all IMO.

Big decision at hand, tool bag should have the decency to realize.

Best acronym ever. Going to have to start using it.
A friend taught me early on, don't tap the aquarium :). Supposedly some of the best advice Phil Gordon has ever given... Although, I myself may be the fish others don't want to scare away.

Let him be after the hand - or even apologize to him - but wait until he's in a big hand (preferably with you). Then ask "Hey....wanna hear the most annoying sound in the world?" from Jim Carrey's bit in dumb & dumber.
Is this sound annoying?
tumblr_lftp60968K1qf282uo1_500.gif

Let him be after the hand - or even apologize to him - but wait until he's in a big hand (preferably with you). Then ask "Hey....wanna hear the most annoying sound in the world?" from Jim Carrey's bit in dumb & dumber.

I like it... However, he didn't have the opportunity to stick around much longer. And then I got to look at HIS pretty chips.

I mean instead of ignoring him you could have politely said "hey I'm in the middle of a big hand, hold on a sec." He probably didn't realize he was out of line, and the whole thing could have been handled without all the drama. Also, you should shove if you really believe you are ahead 50% of the time. You are getting the right odds: $240 more at risk for a $648 pot you only have to win 37% of the time, it's simple math. And hey, it's a cash game so you can always reload.

You sure seem to have a lot of professional poker players in your games.

Mike

Nah, have not yet hosted a home game with professional poker players attending. Don't believe I've ever indicated such?

I do get an opportunity to play with very solid players at a local weekly bar game (4 tables tourney's followed by cash games). There are often a number of local professional players that play this game. They're tough, but very enjoyable to play against. As intimidating as this was at first, I'm glad I got in there and mixed it up with these guys (as it's improved my game).

I'm sure this is nothing compared to those who live near bigger gamboling venues (Vegas, Atlantic City, etc...), where there are grinders and professional poker players everywhere.

edited to add, that if I lived in Vegas, I'd be divorced (for sure)...

Last edited:
IMO, by the annoying guy’s reaction (actually shutting up) after you presumably told him to STFU, he was probably unaware of having done something stupid. You were probably really annoyed at the time and had an outburst (understandably so), but if you had later said, hey, didn’t mean to yell at you, but it’s just that I was in the middle of a hand, you would have been the better person. It’s better for your table image too. Remember that people feel better in losing their money to a nice guy than an a-hole at the table.

And one more thing. You brought an interesting card protector. It’s a conversation piece. Yes the wrong time for conversation, but you got what you wanted! People are envious of your puurdy chip.

What was it that people say about girls who dress slutty? That they’re asking for attention? :D

IMO, by the annoying guy’s reaction (actually shutting up) after you presumably told him to STFU, he was probably unaware of having done something stupid. You were probably really annoyed at the time and had an outburst (understandably so), but if you had later said, hey, didn’t mean to yell at you, but it’s just that I was in the middle of a hand, you would have been the better person. It’s better for your table image too. Remember that people feel better in losing their money to a nice guy than an a-hole at the table.

And one more thing. You brought an interesting card protector. It’s a conversation piece. Yes the wrong time for conversation, but you got what you wanted! People are envious of your puurdy chip.

What was it that people say about girls who dress slutty? That they’re asking for attention? :D
He does indicate in a later post that he did talk with the guy afterward, explained his actions, and showed him the chip.

He does indicate in a later post that he did talk with the guy afterward, explained his actions, and showed him the chip.

What, you expect me to read EVERYTHING… AND THEN COMMENT?

So yea… just read the first couple of posts and then commented. Didn’t see that below. My bad. :(

What, you expect me to read EVERYTHING… AND THEN COMMENT?

So yea… just read the first couple of posts and then commented. Didn’t see that below. My bad. :(
Just to make things clear, did you call Trihonda a slut? Haha I joke! Couldn't help myself...

^ reference

i would have stared at him in the eyes like i was going to murder him as pointed slowly at the pot.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom