Cash Game Hosting dealers choice mixed games for the first time! Need advice. (3 Viewers)

Most people would have no idea what to call though. I will likely suggest games to play unless whoevers turn it is to call already has something in mind
However the games are chosen you’ll want to play this way, trust me. Switching games each hand is chaotic and confusing for new games and hard to get in a flow.

Most people would have no idea what to call though. I will likely suggest games to play unless whoevers turn it is to call already has something in mind
The orbit +1 is the way to go.

Set a list of five or six games and let the dealer pick from that list.

Face cards are all 10. Everything else is the number of pips, so aces are 1.
Yup. If one is a blackjack player, the cards have the same value as they would for blackjack, except aces are always worth 1.

I would say though that the first couple of orbits the biggest problem is overvaluing marginal hands for the game.

Absolutely. With new players to mixed games this is a common problem for most games imo.

Shit this is common in my regular hold em game. Last week someone was betting into a double paired board with a straight

Actual video from @Jackypoo's game:

burning-money.gif

I haven't seen that one before. After reading this thread I really want to play in his game. Sounds like a blast lol
We've definitely had some exciting games. Once I actually own my own house in the next couple months I'll be able to invite some PCF members. (Idk if they'd even want to make the drive to where I live) For right now my parents are nice enough to let me host a games in their basement. And honestly it's the perfect setup

Are there no fans here of changing every orbit instead of orbit+1? IMO, the weakness of orbit+1 is that, as mentioned, the dealer deals his/her game twice per round. This gives the dealer a distinct positional advantage in most draw and flop games (e.g., PLO). Given this, why would any savvy player call a stud-based game like Tahoe Pitch and Roll (great game btw)? You might not play stud games starting out, but you will if your group takes to mixed games.

In a full-orbit game, the game changes (or can change) every time the dealer button reaches a designated player, usually the dealer of the very first game. It isn't difficult at all to keep track of who calls the next game. No need for a second button -- if anyone is confused, just ask "Who dealt [the last game]?"

If there is a pre-selected fixed rotation, there is no need for orbit+1. Just start the next game every time the button reaches the designated person.

YMMV
I may be from Detroit but I'm more of a subaru guy...

I live near Des Moines and drive a Ford. :tup:

If you're doing mixed games with newbs, try a few orbits of 3 handed hold em, sohe or sheshe, or any variant of pineapple. Scrotum is fine as long as it's not scrotum8 which is a high lo game. I would hold off on the hi/los for a session or two.
Drawmaha is fun and easy, so is double board hold'em and double board omaha

Are there no fans here of changing every orbit instead of orbit+1? IMO, the weakness of orbit+1 is that, as mentioned, the dealer deals his/her game twice per round. This gives the dealer a distinct positional advantage in most draw and flop games (e.g., PLO).
Never considered this.... good point

Okay I'll bite because I'm actually curious. What's wrong with GM? I think the new corvette is kinda badass. It does lack a fun pedal so I'll give you that
Corvettes are nice lol so are challengers and chargers and camaros
I'm just partial to Ford haha and I've seen way too many blown transmissions out of GM products

Jeeps are nice, but I know several folks that are jeep lovers and have nothing but issues after issue with them
They all have issues though, Ford produced a 6.4 diesel that was an absolute turd

Corvettes are nice lol so are challengers and chargers and camaros
I'm just partial to Ford haha and I've seen way too many blown transmissions out of GM products

Jeeps are nice, but I know several folks that are jeep lovers and have nothing but issues after issue with them
They all have issues though, Ford produced a 6.4 diesel that was an absolute turd
Eh wranglers are old news I think Ford killed it with the Bronco. Simultaneously jeep shit the bed with the Grand Wagoneer

IMO, the weakness of orbit+1 is that, as mentioned, the dealer deals his/her game twice per round. This gives the dealer a distinct positional advantage in most draw and flop games (e.g., PLO). Given this, why would any savvy player call a stud-based game like Tahoe Pitch and Roll
This is 100% valid in theory.

In my experience at friendly games I have yet to come across an EV nit to that level.

Game update from last night:
For the most part it went pretty well. We played a bunch of simple high board only split pot variations and everyone for the most part took to them pretty easily. UNTIL, someone demanded we play a hi/lo game. And after some push back from myself we decided to play Big O and it was a disaster. The player who wanted to play did a poor job of explaining but okay its tough to grasp at first so we play a hand. This player then aggressively bets into 2 players who LITERALLY CANNOT READ THEIR HANDS. He responds"well I'm not going to let them outdraw me" JFC. So we just played one hand of Big O haha. After that we played an orbit of SOHE then played NLHE the rest of the night after a player felt like we weren't playing enough hands. Which was totally fine as I could tell there was some fatigue from all the new rules. All things considered I think it was a success and hopefully we'll mix dealers choice nights in every once and a while.
Side note: everyone loved drawmaha so yeah, success.

Game update from last night:
For the most part it went pretty well. We played a bunch of simple high board only split pot variations and everyone for the most part took to them pretty easily. UNTIL, someone demanded we play a hi/lo game. And after some push back from myself we decided to play Big O and it was a disaster. The player who wanted to play did a poor job of explaining but okay its tough to grasp at first so we play a hand. This player then aggressively bets into 2 players who LITERALLY CANNOT READ THEIR HANDS. He responds"well I'm not going to let them outdraw me" JFC. So we just played one hand of Big O haha. After that we played an orbit of SOHE then played NLHE the rest of the night after a player felt like we weren't playing enough hands. Which was totally fine as I could tell there was some fatigue from all the new rules. All things considered I think it was a success and hopefully we'll mix dealers choice nights in every once and a while.
Side note: everyone loved drawmaha so yeah, success.
Yesss drawmaha is awesome. Congratulations on the success overall!
Hi lo games are so tough to learn, especially when the brain is fatigued. Definitely remind your players to ease into them slowly, and ma bye suggest or make available some extra game cards for them to study on their own accord if they desire

Hi lo games are so tough to learn, especially when the brain is fatigued. Definitely remind your players to ease into them slowly, and ma bye suggest or make available some extra game cards for them to study on their own accord if they desire
+1 for drawmaha being awesome. It's an easy concept to grasp, offers plenty of strategic wiggle room AND introduces split pots in an accessible way.

Teach lowball games before playing hi/lo split games!

... and since nobody plays flop games lowball, that means teaching them draw and stud. Which you should do anyway, although maybe not right away.

Start with adding Ace-Five Triple Draw in your next session. It's easy to understand, it's fast, and it teaches several new mechanics at once: lowball, draw, and triple-draw. 2-7 is more typical, but teaching ace-five instead gets them ready for eight-qualifier games like PLO8. Then teach Archie so the high/low split concept gets drilled, including qualifiers (Archie has qualifiers for both high and low). NOW they're ready for Omaha 8, and have a big leg up on a huge fun world of draw games. Switch them back to 2-7 Triple Draw once you think it won't confuse them, and then thrown in Badugi if they're open to weird new things. Try good old five-card draw, single draw, no limit (and add deuces wild to stimulate more action; 5CD is a little dry otherwise).

If they're having fun trying different games and aren't overloaded with rules yet then next session you can try teaching stud.

What is drawmaha?

Teach lowball games before playing hi/lo split games!

... and since nobody plays flop games lowball, that means teaching them draw and stud. Which you should do anyway, although maybe not right away.

Start with adding Ace-Five Triple Draw in your next session. It's easy to understand, it's fast, and it teaches several new mechanics at once: lowball, draw, and triple-draw. 2-7 is more typical, but teaching ace-five instead gets them ready for eight-qualifier games like PLO8. Then teach Archie so the high/low split concept gets drilled, including qualifiers (Archie has qualifiers for both high and low). NOW they're ready for Omaha 8, and have a big leg up on a huge fun world of draw games. Switch them back to 2-7 Triple Draw once you think it won't confuse them, and then thrown in Badugi if they're open to weird new things. Try good old five-card draw, single draw, no limit (and add deuces wild to stimulate more action; 5CD is a little dry otherwise).

If they're having fun trying different games and aren't overloaded with rules yet then next session you can try teaching stud.
I didn't see this response till just now. Thanks this is all great advice

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom