Cash Game Home Cash Game : What Stake with buyin do u play? (1 Viewer)

10c ante NL dealers choice / circus games. $20 buy-in and the big winner/loser averages +60/-60. We have a rule that if you profit $100 you're bringing pizza/dinner next week. :)

edit: I can't wait to get back to live games!
That is a very nice rule :D

50c/50c with $100 buy in. $2 bomb pots every 30 mins. Usually $2500+ on the table by the end of the night across 12 players rotating in/out of the 10 seat table.

I like btw .25/50 to 1/2NL comfortably....2/5 in a large group on a rare occasion.....anything higher and I gets uncomfortable and the $ figures outweigh my mathmatics.

I have played 0.5/0.10 and thank god its low stakes because I have never lost so much playing poker lol..... Way too temping to call pretty much anything or call a raise when its $0.40cents with your draw etc ... Some people like it and what the heck I can lose $30-40 playing cards in a night....all night so had some 5cent cards mold chips printed for that purpose. In all seriousness i'd rather play higher stakes but its good to future proof the set for both better or poorer times.

We play 5¢/10¢ NLHE and PL mixed games. $5-20 buy-ins.

I’d be comfortable playing higher stakes, but only 3, maybe 4 of us would even play .25/.25. For my group, losing $10-40 seems to be the sweet spot.

I like btw .25/50 to 1/2NL comfortably....2/5 in a large group on a rare occasion.....anything higher and I gets uncomfortable and the $ figures outweigh my mathmatics.

I have played 0.5/0.10 and thank god its low stakes because I have never lost so much playing poker lol..... Way too temping to call pretty much anything or call a raise when its $0.40cents with your draw etc ... Some people like it and what the heck I can lose $30-40 playing cards in a night....all night so had some 5cent cards mold chips printed for that purpose. In all seriousness i'd rather play higher stakes but its good to future proof the set for both better or poorer times.
Yes, our range tend to open well much open and we paid off people much more at the river at low stake since they could be just betting for $1/2 river bet

I once lost $80 at the 0.1/0.2 stake due to a combination of loss call and cooler

50c/50c with $100 buy in. $2 bomb pots every 30 mins. Usually $2500+ on the table by the end of the night across 12 players rotating in/out of the 10 seat table.
We do Horserace bomb pot instead where we put in the fixed amount and check all the well to the river, because bomb pot just too temping to get all in too fast

We do Horserace bomb pot instead where we put in the fixed amount and check all the well to the river, because bomb pot just too temping to get all in too fast
interesting - ours dont go too crazy cos its only 18 bucks in there, but i can see how your way could play smoother

We have a rule that if you profit $100 you're bringing pizza/dinner next week. :)

edit: I can't wait to get back to live games!

Great rule for a friendly game!

We used to play .10/.25 or .25/.25 NLHE with a 100bb buy in. We switched to .50/1 limit dealer's choice.

Last edited:
We try to rotate between 0.25/.50 and .50/1 with max 200BB buy-in and top-ups to the size of the big stack.

Why two different stakes? Some of our players will only play the lower stakes, and so we try and accommodate them too.

Update:
1. My casual Sunday game only happens sparingly now. 10¢/25¢ that's still very spewy. I lowered the stakes that low on purpose to discourage people losing multiple buy ins and keep the game going. No matter what I've done, they play the same and after they lose 20-40 bucks, most players are done. They throw money around and call huge raises because its a couple of bucks to them and stack each other alot. The players are mnore there to hang out than play poker, so its not a huge deal I guess. Players are very flaky.

2. I now play in a home game 1-2 days a week at 25¢/50¢. $20 minimum buy in, $50 max at the start, you can match the highest stack as the night goes on. Lots of action players that really like to play for stacks. Its the most swingy 25¢/50¢ game Ive ever played in. It gets very competitive since the players are all competive players of the card game Magic: the Gathering as well and really like to metagame each other. Lots of sick bluffs, 3-betting/4-betting, some nights are just nothing but straddles, etc.

3. I also play in two very casual home games other days of the week with the same stakes. I'm the youngest one there by 40-50 years easy. I am the only player in their 20's. Max buy in is $20, plays like what I imagine a friendly limit game to be. Lots of calling from loose passive players. 3-betting almost doesn't exist there at all unless they have pocket pairs. They will limp with AK all the time because they hate that hand. They keep lots of band hands that you can take lots of advantage of, or get taken to value town with K2 random 2 pair or a straight with 84o in the SB. I try not to bully them too much with relentless 3-betting and such so I can continue playing there, I dont want them to get annoyed and not allow me to play with them anymore. They are my friends and want to keep my friends. They are all very sticky players that like to spite call the young guy who always raises, so I do well most of the time with thin value bets and just scooping huge pots that they built for me.

I go for the fun times, if I played my normal game, I think I'd profit way more than I already do. :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

Will be trying a 25/50c (or 25/25c) PLO game soon!

Usually 25/50c NLH or 75c/1.50 circus games.

All my buddies that host, run with 25/50c Texas Hold'em (Same ol', same ol')

Buy-Ins:
Texas Hold'em 60-100
Circus Games 60-100
PLO 40-100
Buddies Games 20

Last edited:
I play a 5/10 Hong Kong dollar game roughly 65c/1.30 USD

everyone starts with 100bb. People can rebuy to the highest stack anytime… only to the nearest 100bb and only in multiples of 100bb. That means if someone on the table had 7500 and you have 1000. You can buy in to 7000.

on an average night playing for ~6 hours we typically see around 10-15 100bb buy ins but have witnessed up to 28 100bb buy ins as well.

max loss recorded was 6k hkd. Max win was 5.9k hkd.

we also have a 2 7 jackpot. If you take down the pot and flop a 2 7 hand you get paid 2bb by everyone on the table.

the stakes works for the group, it’s large enough that you put thought into your draws and calls but small enough that no loss really hurts anyone financially in any material way. <—this is the most impt factor

Going to be trying a friendly cash game with friends (previously tourney only, $20 BI with rebuys for an hour or two). I'm thinking 0.25/0.25 with a chipset of 0.25/1/5/25. Don't want to deal with 0.10/0.25 and 0.25/0.50 may be a bit rich for my crowd so I'll see how this format does. Also hoping to introduce them to mixed and limit games for some variety and to slow things down, they like to go a bit crazy sometimes...

Reactions: BPB
Home game is usually .25/.25 usually plays bigger. Range players buy in for is 20-100. We have gone as high as 1/2, 400max. I want to do a dealer’s choice next time I host.

Can’t say that I have, how do you decide when to do one? We’ve played the 7-2 rule before and pick red/black/suits/individual cards before but not bomb pots.
I set a timer for every 30 minutes and when the alarm goes, next hand is a $2 bomb pot. 30 mins is the right amount to rotate the dealer around also for us...

25/50c blinds with buy-ins of $20/50. But even with those stakes it can be a struggle to round up enough troops for a regular game.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom