Hi, Steaks: the Official PCF Steak Thread (2 Viewers)

PXL_20221215_222404918.jpg
PXL_20221215_221137632.jpg

Hanger for us. Fillets when we have company, since hanger is something of an acquired taste.

But doing a ten pound prime rib for xmas -- it's doing a bit more aging in the garage refrigerator already...

Hanger steaks are great but hard to come by for me

Been a ribeye guy forever, but in the past year or two, I'm finding that I enjoy a NY Strip as much or more than ribeye, as long as the quality of the strip steak is high.

I prefer the firmer texture of the strip (even when it's tender, it's still "firmer" than a ribeye... not sure of what other word to describe it... IYKYK) and the strip's more concentrated "beefy" flavor. But it's gotta have decent fat content/marbling, otherwise it falls short on the flavor aspect. I love fat on steak, but sometimes, navigating the big globs that can be found in the eye of a ribeye can be more of a chore than anything, so I think a well marbled strip can actually be the best all around option.

Not that this really matters, either, but for what it's worth, I think strip steaks make for a better presentation than ribeyes as well, whether you're slicing or serving whole.

This is basically a duplicate post of what I’ve done in the past, but it comes out the same every time, so there’s really nothing i can do to make it unique :p

Four USDA Prime NY Strips from Costco (it’s good meat, don’t knock it til you’ve tried it). Sous vide at 117 for anywhere from 2-4 hours. I personally prefer more like 112-113, which ends up what I like to call “rare side of medium rare” after the sear, but bumping it up those extra few degrees results in what I think is a pretty universally pleasing traditional medium rare, and won’t scare away those people who are turned off by their steak still looking “raw.”

Braved the cold to sear them over the charcoal using the cold grate technique. I will never not do this method if it’s available. The fact that your steaks spend 3-4 minutes on the grill engulfed in flame makes a (positive) difference as opposed to doing it indoors. Note that even though it looks this way, the steaks themselves are not actually on fire, and they don’t come off charred/burned at all, there are no sear/grill marks, etc. Just a perfect crust over the entire surface of the steak.

But that’s a whole other discussion topic, if you don’t know the details of the cold grate technique. I’d encourage anyone to give it a shot.

Hard to get decent photos on a whim in the dark.

210F90B2-AB1B-4B00-BF97-A6739219231E.jpeg

71DDEA20-62EC-4EBA-963B-C46095432D88.jpeg

I cooked my first beef tenderloin last night. I usually pellet smoke everything but I decided to do this in the oven and finish in a cast iron. I’ve honestly never used a cast iron to sear before and was super nervous. Pulled it from the oven at 112 and seared in the cast iron 2ish minutes each side and threw in some butter, garlic, and rosemary (didn’t have any thyme lol). Rested 15 minutes and BOOM! I think it turned out great, would’ve liked a little better crust but can’t be too upset for my first time.

150B7F3F-1CC0-4B66-ABC4-9AB23042F9D8.jpeg
9E2806C6-52C0-4CBA-87DD-2A8B937A2154.jpeg

We just picked up our ½ beef this week. Got over 140 pounds of steaks so looking forward to reverse searing them on my smoker.

Pic from one of last year's Ribeyes. Smoked until 130 then pulled and seared at 400 for 1½ minutes per side. Rested 10 minutes. Then devoured.

IMG_20221211_192707279.jpg

We celebrated National bacon day with bacon wrapped prime filets. Accompanied with mashed taters garnished with blue cheese and bacon. And green beans with. Bacon and almonds.

I made a crushed garlic and crushed red pepper butter sauce to finish the steaks which turned out amaze balls.

Steaks on the Weber cooked to medium for our guests. I’d prefer a little more rare but they were delish and cooked exactly where I intended.

8F8E6FB0-B04E-45B3-8716-8444DC3900B1.jpeg
94BFC06A-A392-4F0B-8DCC-1CA9D1995F00.jpeg

What weight and how long did it take?

Also, nice Global Most of my favorites are Globals... :cool
This was about 7 lbs. It took about 3.5-4 hours to get to 125 internal, then rest, and sear. I usually estimate about 20-30 minutes per pound in the Weber kettle.

I love Global knives too! Looking at eventually getting a Miyabi birch wood 9” chef knife in the future as well. But the Globals are our work horse.

This was about 7 lbs. It took about 3.5-4 hours to get to 125 internal, then rest, and sear. I usually estimate about 20-30 minutes per pound in the Weber kettle.

I love Global knives too! Looking at eventually getting a Miyabi birch wood 9” chef knife in the future as well. But the Globals are our work horse.
I did my six-pound boneless for 8 hours at 129, rested 20 minutes, rubbed with seasoned butter, then seared for 5 minutes in a 500 oven. Everyone loved the crust.

My workhorse has always been a Wusthof 8" deep-bellied chef's, sharpened down to 16 degrees, but for the last couple of years I find myself pulling the 7" Global Santuko most of the time. The forged Global boner, slicer, and cleaver are unequaled, IMO.
{Waiting now for all the boner wisecracks to appear... You know they're inevitable. :cool )

Last edited:
I did my six-pound boneless for 8 hours at 129, rested 20 minutes, rubbed with seasoned butter, then seared for 15 minutes in a 500 oven. Everyone loved the crust.

My workhorse has always been a Wusthof 8" deep-bellied chef's, sharpened down to 16 degrees, but for the last couple of years I find myself pulling the 7" Global Santuko most of the time. The forged Global boner, slicer, and cleaver are unequaled, IMO.
{Waiting now for all the boner wisecracks to appear... You know they're inevitable. :cool )
A 7” boner is nothing to be ashamed of!

I have 3 Nephews all in their early 20's. Two Live in NYC and the other one lives in MA. They are beyond the age of getting Toys and Video games. So the only thing we could think to get them for this Christmas is a few OMAHA Steaks and some accompaniments. There are different cuts I had to choose from and one of the cuts that my wife and I had at a nice restaurant in the fall was the Flat Iron cut. When I asked the butcher at my local Supermarket before about the Flat Iron he said they don't carry that and those are cuts you get in restaurants or specialty butcher shops. Omaha had Flat Irons so I ordered my nephews a few of those and some other cuts. Below is a picture of the Steak my Nephew in MA made the other week. He cooked it a perfect Medium Rare. He's a good cook and he's lucky he knows how to cook a steak because if he had sent us a picture of a Well Done steak he would never get another steak for Christmas ever again. My favorite cut is the Ribeye so for ourselves we just get it at one of the local supermarkets.

CalvinSteak.jpg

Last edited:
I have 3 Nephews all in there early 20's. Two Live in NYC and the other one lives in MA. They are beyond the age of getting Toys and Video games. So the only think we could think to get them for this Christmas is a few OMAHA Steaks and some accompaniments. There are different cuts I had to choose from and one of the cuts that my wife and I had at a nice restaurant in the fall was the Flat Iron cut. When I asked the butcher at my local Supermarket before about the Flat Iron he said they don't carry that and those are cuts you get in restaurants or specialty butcher shops. Omaha had Flat Irons so I ordered my nephews a few of those and some other cuts. Below is a picture of the Steak my Nephew in MA made the other week. He cooked it a perfect Medium Rare. He's a good cook and he's lucky he knows how to cook a steak because if he had sent us a picture of a Well Done steak he would never get another steak for Christmas ever again. My favorite cut is the Ribeye so for ourselves we just get it at one of the local supermarkets.

View attachment 1083261

Hanger steaks I hear are what butchers cut and keep for themselves. Few restaurants around here have them and they have a beefier/gameyier taste prob bc it’s near the organs but they’re great

Omaha had Flat Irons so I ordered my nephews a few of those and some other cuts. Below is a picture of the Steak my Nephew in MA made the other week. He cooked it a perfect Medium Rare.
Looks great!

Publix and other supermarkets in FL regularly sell flat iron, flank, and skirt steaks. The last two come from the belly area, which gives them a lot of flavor. But flat iron comes from the shoulder blade area, and does not have quite as much flavor as the others.

Hanger steak -- which happens to be our favorite, and is the most tender and flavorful -- is very hard to find. You'll probably need to visit a specialty butcher or a very good European restaurant to find it. Anthony Bourdain's Les Halles chain in NYC and DC used to offer the best we've ever had...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom