Hey Bourbon and Scotch Guys (1 Viewer)

If you’ve never had Whistle Pig, any of the 3 rye options are can’t miss.

I'm not a connoisseur, but I do like what I like. Dalwhinie 15yr is exceptional. Knob Creek single barrel is a staple in my house. I just bought a bottle of Angel envy for the first time and really enjoyed it.

Duck confit poutine, bahn mi sandwich, lobster mac and cheese.

Oh, wait, @detroitdad, you meant the ala carte list of full pours, right? I'm sure there are some good choices in the Kentucky bourbons, but I'd recommend trying some local NY whiskies and ryes:

1. Hill Rock Solera Bourbon
2. Coppersea Rye (Not on the list, but they may have it)
3. Taconic Rye (Again, not on the list, but they may have it)
4. Any other NY bourbon or rye they recommend

I'm not really blown away by their scotch selections, nor pricing, but if there is something there that grabs your fancy, go for it.

I already mentioned two of these to Colleen. Its almost a guarantee that I'll get the Duck Confit Poutine.
There is a place here in Brooklyn called Mile End Deli that makes smoked meat poutine:

5005517737_0dc52cd824_c.jpg

It is f#cking insane. That's a heart attack and a food coma rolled up in a grease bomb. And that's okay.

I like Blantons but also have 4 bottles at home so I’d probably go with someone else’s suggestion.

Laphroaig Lore would be on my list, but the 10 yr cask is probably more for you.
Bruichladdich Octomore is another one I've been meaning to try, Port Charlotte I drink somewhat regularly
If you like Rye, High West Rendezvous > Campfire > Bourye are good, distillery isn't too far from me.

FY! I just started drooling... All I can recommend from this long list is Four Roses, Glenmorangie 10 YO and Laphroaig Cask Strength. I wish to have your problems.

Laphroaig 10 year cask strength :hearts:

Yes.

I have had so many scotches over the years from all over the world and I still always go back to Laphroaig (and also enjoy anything else from Islay). The 10 and the 10 CS are so readily available too. And the 10 isn’t just good for a 10/12 it’s great across the board. I even prefer to 10 over the 25. Call me crazy.

Last edited:
Yes.

I have had so many scotches over the years from all over the world and I still always go back to Laphroaig (or anything from Islay). The 10 and the 10 CS are so readily available too. And the 10 isn’t just good for a 10/12 it’s great across the board. I even prefer to 10 over the 25. Call me crazy.
1602200427715.gif

Yes.

I have had so many scotches over the years from all over the world and I still always go back to Laphroaig (or anything from Islay). The 10 and the 10 CS are so readily available too. And the 10 isn’t just good for a 10/12 it’s great across the board. I even prefer to 10 over the 25. Call me crazy.
You are very much sane.

Yes.

I have had so many scotches over the years from all over the world and I still always go back to Laphroaig (and also enjoy anything else from Islay). The 10 and the 10 CS are so readily available too. And the 10 isn’t just good for a 10/12 it’s great across the board. I even prefer to 10 over the 25. Call me crazy.

I don't know much about Scotch. I do know I love the ones from Islay. Lagavulin 16 is one of my favorites

Personally I would start with Parkers heritage, that's one smooth drink and its hard to find around here at least. Second I would move to Widow Jane the Vault, only because I have never had it and want to try it. Third I would move to high west midwinter nights rye, never had it and once again harder to find that the yippie ki yay which is great. 4th, 5th, 6th, and so on I probably moving over to Redbreast 12 as at this point I just want something smooth to keep the buzz going.

Take my posting with a grain of salt however because my pallet lends itself to be a bit opposite of you, from what I can tell. I think Islay scotch especially Lag is only good for cleaning out your sinus :). I am a speyside or highlands guy and tend to drink the sweeter, smoother bourbons and ryes as well.

I don't know much about Scotch. I do know I love the ones from Islay. Lagavulin 16 is one of my favorites
Some of the whiskies listed as "Islay" are not: Talisker is from Skye and Highland Park is from the Orkney Islands. But they are much in the style of Islays.

If you want to try some other Islays, maybe ask when you're there if they'll do a tasting "flight" of 3-4 short pours for a better price. I'd give some of these a whirl:

Ardbeg 10yr
Bruichladdich Port Charlotte 10yr
Bunnahabhain 12yr
Highland Park 12yr
Laphroaig 10 yr Cask Strength

But they are much in the style of Islays.

I beg to differ there, man. Talisker, yeah, sort of close to the Islay style, although less peated and more salty/peppery. Highland Park though has nothing to do with Islay imo. It is very, very slightly peated. Maybe just a pinch of peat. I don't think many would pick it as a Islay imo.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom