Tourney Hero's shove late -- thoughts? (1 Viewer)

WedgeRock

Royal Flush
Reaction score
Maybe the hero or SB in this hand (both PCFers) can chime in with more of the details.

Seat 1: BB, Hero, T140Kish
Seat 2: Aggressive player sitting on a stack of T1m+
Seat 3: Handsome devil, T100k (shortstack), not a factor in this hand.
Seat 4: SB, Good player, not afraid to mix it up. Can play air like the nuts if he senses weakness but capable of making a smart laydown. T500kish.

Four-handed, late in an 18-player tournament. 4 places paid, so all players have cashed. 4th place pays about 3 buyins while first place pays 12.5 buyins. IIRC, blinds were at 10k/20k with a 3k ante.

Hero has been getting marginal hands and managed to not get involved in speculation, but his chip stack is dwindling. Seat 2 opens to 50k. Seat 3 wisely folds, and looks especially fantastic in doing so. Seat 4 (SB) calls. Back to Hero (BB) who has another marginal hand, but this one must be better than the others he's laid down, because he takes a minute to act.

I could tell hero was contemplating getting involved, and if I know hero, his thought was fold or shove, not call. If he was strong, he would've already made up his mind to shove when action got to him.

In my head, I'm thinking his decision should have been fold/call for a couple reasons. He is flipping at best and could possibly be dominated -- I don't think he is ahead and if he is, it isn't by a wide margin. If he shoves, he is unlikely to get either of the two big stacks out of the hand. If he flats and ultimately has to fold, he still has a workable 90k stack and can look for a better place. Even if he doesn't find that better spot, he can't do worse than a 4th place cash. If he flats and hits, he probably still gets 2 callers on a flop shove, so he hasn't left any money on the table.

Seat 1 Hero shoved, Seat 2 actually folded and Seat 3 called. I think Hero showed something like A-paint.

Thoughts on Hero's play? Is my thinking too passive/fatalistic?

FWIW, I think if Hero is UTG, a shove works here (or at least gets two folds -- but not as a last-to-act caller).

What is the strategy of the short stacked handsome devil in seat 3?

Did you cash? I was already at the cash game making up my tourney losses. F Tourneys!!!

If he flats and ultimately has to fold, he still has a workable 90k stack
I wouldn't consider 4-1/2 BB as a workable stack. Definitely in shove mode at that point.

Seat 1 Hero shoved, Seat 2 actually folded and Seat 3 called. I think Hero showed something like A-paint.

I don't like the shove after a raise and caller in front of me. I'd rather fold, and keep the extra 30K for a bigger shove in one of the next two hands when I'm not acting last and have some fold equity (and not looking at a raised pot already). Ace-paint works fine in those spots, but not when facing a raise/call scenario. One of the big stacks has something this hand.

Maybe the hero or SB in this hand (both PCFers) can chime in with more of the details.

Seat 1: BB, Hero, T140Kish
Seat 2: Aggressive player sitting on a stack of T1m+
Seat 3: Handsome devil, T100k (shortstack), not a factor in this hand.
Seat 4: SB, Good player, not afraid to mix it up. Can play air like the nuts if he senses weakness but capable of making a smart laydown. T500kish.

Four-handed, late in an 18-player tournament. 4 places paid, so all players have cashed. 4th place pays about 3 buyins while first place pays 12.5 buyins. IIRC, blinds were at 10k/20k with a 3k ante.

Hero has been getting marginal hands and managed to not get involved in speculation, but his chip stack is dwindling. Seat 2 opens to 50k. Seat 3 wisely folds, and looks especially fantastic in doing so. Seat 4 (SB) calls. Back to Hero (BB) who has another marginal hand, but this one must be better than the others he's laid down, because he takes a minute to act.

I could tell hero was contemplating getting involved, and if I know hero, his thought was fold or shove, not call. If he was strong, he would've already made up his mind to shove when action got to him.

In my head, I'm thinking his decision should have been fold/call for a couple reasons. He is flipping at best and could possibly be dominated -- I don't think he is ahead and if he is, it isn't by a wide margin. If he shoves, he is unlikely to get either of the two big stacks out of the hand. If he flats and ultimately has to fold, he still has a workable 90k stack and can look for a better place. Even if he doesn't find that better spot, he can't do worse than a 4th place cash. If he flats and hits, he probably still gets 2 callers on a flop shove, so he hasn't left any money on the table.

FWIW, I think if Hero is UTG, a shove works here (or at least gets two folds -- but not as a last-to-act caller).

Just my opinion obv -

Hero has 7 big blinds, what's the question here?

Ace paint has to get it in, calling is an option 0% of the time, folding will only come into play if seat 2 is some kind of ultra-rock, if seat 2 is an aggressive player he is opening super wide here 4 handed, Ace paint is so far ahead of seat 2's range it's not even funny.

Not crazy about seat 4 flatting seat 2s opening raise either, this looks like a 3 bet jam to me if he thinks he's ahead of seat 2's range. Flatting just gives the green light for seat 1 to do precisely what he just did, then seat 4 has to call off pretty wide for almost a quarter of his stack and if he folds he's just lit 2.5 blinds on fire, a tenth of his stack.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom