Help with THC Chips with hologram.stickers? (1 Viewer)

Turbo

High Hand
Reaction score
Hi,
Been searching the forums for these ”hologram” style chips but can’t seem find any info. Are these just custom stickers put over other inlays, emblems? Appreciate the wealth of info and knowledge on this forum and any info would be much appreciated, TIA!

Attachments

• IMG_0872.jpeg
    IMG_0872.jpeg
    144.3 KB · Views: 131
Ah, right, I remember that chipguide entry now.

The chips I have definitely do not have the Fantasy Cruises logo hotstamp. That's an either-or thing, meaning they either have the hologram sticker or they have the Fantasy Cruises logo. The hologram sticker is not over a hotstamp -- the chipguide description is wrong.

Interesting ... I have some of those exact chips, that I acquired probably 10+ years ago, and I have never seen any others like them since. I have never been able to figure out where they came from (other than being Paulson TH&C chips.)

The hologram sticker seems to be factory-applied. That is, it's not over an inlay or another hotstamp.
Same! They were from some Texas retailer back in the day if that helps.

Ah, right, I remember that chipguide entry now.

The chips I have definitely do not have the Fantasy Cruises logo hotstamp. That's an either-or thing, meaning they either have the hologram sticker or they have the Fantasy Cruises logo. The hologram sticker is not over a hotstamp -- the chipguide description is wrong.
Got it, thanks for clearing that up @Gear

I seriously doubt it. I had these chips in that condition loooooooong before I ever milled anything.
You’re the expert and you have it in hand, so I’d take your opinion as fact. But the picture makes it look suspect to me.

IMG_8788.jpeg

Yeah, you're not wrong. That is, I guess someone milled it, since the inlay recess is slightly bigger and deeper than on normal chips, but I suppose I've always assumed it was done by Paulson back in the day (i.e. someone ordered them like that.)

Maybe not? It does seem likely that they were modified after final pressing. Who/what/when/why remains a mystery, but my point is that if these were indeed milled and labelled by someone outside of Paulson, they did it YEARS before anyone around here (or even the blue site) did.

It’s a beautiful mystery.
Somebody knows the answer!!!

Here’s a closer look at mine…same chips? Btw, what does milled mean?

Attachments

• IMG_0873.jpeg
    IMG_0873.jpeg
    158.3 KB · Views: 57
Here’s a closer look at mine…same chips? Btw, what does milled mean?
Great googly moogly, they butchered this poor guy.
IMG_8793.jpeg

Milling is when somebody takes a hot stamped chip and drills (with a spade bit) a few millimeters of clay off the top to remove the hot stamp and make room for a sticker. The idea is to make it look like a factory inlaid chip, but the results can vary.
Look at the edges of the hologram - does that look to you like an inlay that was pressed into the chip while the clay was soft? Or does it look like somebody drilled out a recess for that sticker.
(The answer is B)

Great googly moogly, they butchered this poor guy.
View attachment 1240993

Milling is when somebody takes a hot stamped chip and drills (with a spade bit) a few millimeters of clay off the top to remove the hot stamp and make room for a sticker. The idea is to make it look like a factory inlaid chip, but the results can vary.
Look at the edges of the hologram - does that look to you like an inlay that was pressed into the chip while the clay was soft? Or does it look like somebody drilled out a recess for that sticker.
(The answer is B)
Yep what u said! Actually, looking thru the rest of the chips some of holograms are not even centered correctly. Maybe they succumbed to heat and moved or were just stamped on incorrectly, but thanks again for your expertise in chip knowledge.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom