Tourney Help with high stack setup (1 Viewer)

TeamNapoli

Straight
Reaction score
I keep getting asked to run a big stack tournament, but i have no clue what a good break down. I am not even sure what a big stack is t50k t45k....
anyway i have:
t25 x 300
t100 x200
t500 x 80
t1k x 100
t5k x 100
t25k x 80
t100k x 60

ANy info would be helpful, the table is usually 9 ppl
i was thinking maybe 8, 3, 3,3, 3,1 for a t45k stack..... would this work?

thanks for any advice given

If big stack is synonymous with deep stack then try for starting stacks in the 200-400 BB range. (I’d say 50-100 is turbo and 100-200 is vanilla.) With a T25 set up 10-20K stacks is 200BB-400BB off an initial T50 BB.

Something like 8/8/4/7/x ought to do it with x=2 5K chips for 400BB.

What does your crew consider regular stack? Trying to understand what they expect for deep/big.

I asked on of the guys who keeps pushing it and he states a
12/12/5/6/4/1 = for a 55k start stack blinds start at 50\100

I asked on of the guys who keeps pushing it and he states a
12/12/5/6/4/1 = for a 55k start stack blinds start at 50\100
That's way too deep in my opinion, even for a 'deepstack' event - the early levels really don't matter at all. Depending on how long you're looking to run this thing you're either going to have accelerate the levels or look at a lesser starting stack.

For instance, one of the WSOP deepstack events this year is a 30k starting stack with 100/100 initial blinds.

@grantc54 occasionally runs super deep stack tournaments. His most recent one being a 50k 12/12/5/11/7. T25 base.

I missed this so perhaps he can offer some insights, but from what I understood, approx 11 hour game for 2-3 tables.

11 hrs omg we typically try to run for 5 hrs
i do agree that my friends recommendation is to deep and i like what @Kentucky suggested.

in all honestly i dont get deep stacks, is it just to say i bet 20k.....wtf the money is the same

i do agree that my friends recommendation is to deep and i like what @Kentucky suggested.

in all honestly i dont get deep stacks, is it just to say i bet 20k.....wtf the money is the same
Yeah it really depends on your group and the style of game you like to run. I like longer tournaments in the 8-11 hour range every now and then. Grant usually runs pretty deep stacked tournaments for 2-3 tables and the games play really well. Never feel like the blinds runaway and blow up the skill portion of the game, but it doesn't drag on very often.

I think the deep stack, longer tournaments reduce the variance a bit and let skill make more of a difference. 5-6 hours for 1 table is a good length. For 2 tables to finish in 5 hours it'll run like a turbo and you have to start searching for spots to shove really early on vs deep stack you can grind up 2-3x starting by just making good folds and getting the max value with strong and middling holdings alike.

wow good to know ..... never thought about it like that so deep stacks allows for better play
Though, if you're always doing deepstacks going forward it will favor the better players. A mediocre player can bink a couple hour 2 table tourney with just running good at key times - but hundreds of BBs deep, skill is going to be much more likely to come out on top.

I keep getting asked to run a big stack tournament, but i have no clue what a good break down. I am not even sure what a big stack is t50k t45k....
anyway i have:
t25 x 300
t100 x200
t500 x 80
t1k x 100
t5k x 100
t25k x 80
t100k x 60

ANy info would be helpful, the table is usually 9 ppl
i was thinking maybe 8, 3, 3,3, 3,1 for a t45k stack..... would this work?

thanks for any advice given
Six denoms in the starting stack is unwarranted, imo.

For 9 players with your set, I'd go with T25-base 16/16/6/10/5, or T40000 starting stacks (400bb with 50/100 opening blinds). 53-chip starting stacks will 'feel' big to your players, too.

Use T1000s (4) to color-up the T25s, use T5000s to color-up the T100s (3) and T500s (6). Likely won't reach the point where you need to remove the T1000s, leaving 148 chips in play at the end of the tournament. Should be able to tweak the blind structure to finish in 5-6 hours without it feeling rushed.

Chips needed:
144 x T25
144 x T100
54 x T500
94 x T1000
54 x T5000
------------------
490 total chips

Agreed big numbers just confuse the issue.
I usually do t25's @ 3k or 5k starting stack values with rebuys/addons. Though t5's with 1k turbos or 2k freezeouts are also fun short games before getting into a cash game post.

I found that stretching the game to 10k or more in tourney value was Best for
-freezeouts, few players needed to rebuy before cut off (t25 colour up, in my game)
-patient players that can afford to fold a few hands waiting for others to make errors, thus benefiting from a low initial blind structure and a deep starting stack.
Things I suggest for 10k tourneys
- introduce an Ante in your blind structure or your game could go into the wee hours of the night.
-only play 5k chips as part of a addon or colour up. Do not include 5k chips in a 10k starting stack unless you have a dedicated dealer with a tray, or you will regret it.
- 20k tourneys can include up to 2x5k chips, add on or rebuys should include some 1k chips with 5k chips say 50/50 for the first few then 25/75 then 0/100 ratio of 1k/5k.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom