Help Wanted! Need a woodworking guru; carpentry master (1 Viewer)

That's about 1-11/16". If you put a ruler against it, does that seem about right?

Yeah, earlier when I said it looked like 1 3/4", that was using my tape measure. So, 1 11/16" makes sense.

Just so that I'm completely sure we are on the same page, the diameter of the section in the rectangle is what I'm interested in.

chkmte.jpg

Please confirm. I'll fabricate the piece tomorrow.

If you only plan to mill out the existing inlay, then a 7/8" bit won't work, for two reasons -- inlays are rarely exactly centered (so a centered drill bit won't remove 100% of the inlay), and inlays often "stretch" slightly into non-circular shapes (and a circular bit the exact size of the original inlay diameter won' remove it all).

To consistently remove the entire inlay and leave no ridge in the recessed area, a perfectly-centered 1" bit will be required (or a CNC setup, like @Gear has).

If you only plan to mill out the existing inlay, then a 7/8" bit won't work, for two reasons -- inlays are rarely exactly centered (so a centered drill bit won't remove 100% of the inlay), and inlays often "stretch" slightly into non-circular shapes (and a circular bit the exact size of the original inlay diameter won' remove it all).

To consistently remove the entire inlay and leave no ridge in the recessed area, a perfectly-centered 1" bit will be required (or a CNC setup, like @Gear has).
Inlay or hotstamp? I think 7/8 will knockout the majority of hotstamps. We'll see. It seems an easy transition to switch to a 1" bit. Can't wait to see what @InIver comes up with.

Well that's interesting! I'm having trouble imagining it all together but I'm sure it's going to be fantastic!

20160814_140045_resized.jpg

20160814_135942_resized.jpg

Here is the finished product.

You'll insert the cylindrical part onto the chuck, after you have moved it all the way down and locked it in place.

Then you set the other part on the drill's base and adjust it until you get the two pieces to lock together.

Then you clamp the base piece to the drill press' base and release the spindle. You can insert the bit and the chip now. Start milling.

I made the chuck piece large so that you can cut it down. If it'so too tight, just sand along the top edge until you get it to fit. If it's too loose, run some masking tape on the chuck until it's sung.

Make sure the chip is level before you start milling. I had to use a 1.5" forster bit to create the resting are for the chip, and that is about 1mm smaller than a chip.

I also made a circular piece to use as back support. You can place this underneath the chip before you mill. Do a few practice runs with spare chips before you use the good ones.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Wowsers! I can't wait to get it in and give it a go. I'll PM you my address!

Right now, the base is about 10.5" square. Can I trim it down to about 9" square?

I suppose that wold be fine. The entire platform was 11 x 11 but that inside portion is like 9 x 9. I can get you an exact measurement if you'd like.

If it is cut down to 9 1/8, will I still be able to use a c-clamp to secure it? Any updates on this?

I trimmed the base to 9-1/2" square. You should be able to clamp it to the drill base without any problems.

I did it so that I could fit it into the package better.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom