Help Wanted! Need a woodworking guru; carpentry master (1 Viewer)

chkmte

Flush
Reaction score
Hey.

So I'm looking for someone to build me a small platform/guide to use on my drill press. This guide would allow me to "mill" my hotstamps (individually) in an effecient, uniformed manner. I'd like to have something approx. 9" x 9" that will mount securely to the existing steel platform of my Grizzly drill press. (I can provide photos as needed.)

To some this task sounds very simple - but I'm no good at buiding things. If you or someone you know has the ability AND availability to conquer said task, please speak up or mention them in the thread.

I'm willing to pay a reasonable fee plus shipping for such an item.

Thanks in advance.
Tim

What drill bit are you planning to use? I've heard it's hard to find one that will mill a flat surface.

What drill bit are you planning to use? I've heard it's hard to find one that will mill a flat surface.
I've actually already got the drill bit. It's 7/8" - but may want to try an 1". The drill bit I've got works great actually...thing is, I'm having trouble keeping it centered on the chip.

I might be able to do it this weekend, depending on your timeline. Should just be a piece of plywood with some clamping and chip registration features.

I might be able to do it this weekend, depending on your timeline. Should just be a piece of plywood with some clamping and chip registration features.
No hurry really. Just need it to be done right.

Post some photos of the drill press base and bit. I think you would want this to mount in exactly the same place each time, and secure the chip in the same position for milling.

Does the drill press base swivel from left to right or is it fixed so that it can only move up or down?

Yes, something that is positioned as static as possible every time. I'll post some photos of those items tomorrow.I'll also get you the model of the drill press. It's a grizzly...a real fine press. The platform adjusts/swivels in just about every direction I need it to.

So the model of my press is G7943. Here are the details.I've added some relevant photographs below.

The first of course is my press platform, pretty straight-forward. Obviously, the guide will attach to the press within the 4 channels of the platform.

The second photos is of my 7/8" bit. I believe it's called a "bottom clearing" router bit or something to that effect. I may want to move to a 1" bit though.

The third and final photograph is of a hotstamp that I've milled. You'll notice the ridge I've created within the inlay/label area of the chip. That is unacceptable to me. I really want a flat, no ridge surface to work with...hence why I'm thinking a 1" bit will work better for me than a 7/8" bit.

platform.jpg

drill_bit.jpg

milled_chip.jpg

I don't know that t-nuts would be neccesary since I'm only doing one chip at a time. The crappy setup that I built attached the guide using simple nuts and bolts. I guess if t-nuts make it easier to set-up and take down, then yeah. What do you think?

By 'ridge' do you mean that area just outside the bit next to the TH&C section? I think a 1" bit would be too large.

I think you can center the bit more exactly and use the 7/8" bit. I have an idea for a set-up that would allow that. Do you own some C-clamps?

The ridge would be the unmilled portion of the center circle. 1" may be too big, but yes - that's what I'm referring too. I don't have any c-clamps but can buy them.

Tim

Is the diameter of the chuck about 1-7/16"? What is the travel distance of the drill downwards? What is the width of the channel in the base? What are the dimensions of the base?

Is the diameter of the chuck about 1-7/16"? I don't know. What is the travel distance of the drill downwards? The platform can be as close as i need it to as it adjusts. What is the width of the channel in the base? Just shy of 3/4" What are the dimensions of the base? 11 1/4" square

I will need to know the diameter of the chuck. You can figure out its diameter by figuring out the circumference and divide by pi, if you don't have any tool. By travel distance of the drill, I mean how far it travels from its rest point to the maximum depth. Can you tell me the width of the channel more exactly?

I think I can put some type of jig together, but the more exact dimensions you provide, the better it will work. I think you should stay with the 7/8" drill bit.

Typically to get the most consistent machining you are going to want to lock your base so it can't move side to side or up or down. You will use the drill presses downward travel of the chuck to plunge and do the cuts on each chip. By keeping the base locked solid you can set how far the plunge is and not have to make adjustments between chips (that would be the hope at least and why Lnlver is asking about the chucks downward travel distance I would guess).

Do you have a shop vac? A hose collar for dust collection might be nice.

I need to know the diameter of the smooth portion of the chuck; the part that houses the bit. Not the rougher outermost portion of the chuck. I want to know the travel distance of the chuck to be absolutely sure there is enough room to swap things in and out of the chuck once the base is set. It looks 99.9% certain it's ok for my application.

I'll put something together tonight and post it for your perusal. I presume your're milling 39mm diameter chips.

Do you have a shop vac? A hose collar for dust collection might be nice.
That's a good idea - but I do not own a shop vac believe it or not.

I need to know the diameter of the smooth portion of the chuck; the part that houses the bit. Not the rougher outermost portion of the chuck. I want to know the travel distance of the chuck to be absolutely sure there is enough room to swap things in and out of the chuck once the base is set. It looks 99.9% certain it's ok for my application.

I'll put something together tonight and post it for your perusal. I presume your're milling 39mm diameter chips.
I'm pretty much a dumbass when it comes to anything technical like this, so I'm just going to post some photos. I hope they help. Yes, 39 mm chips.

chuck.jpg

channel.jpg

guage.jpg

The ridge would be the unmilled portion of the center circle. 1" may be too big, but yes - that's what I'm referring too. I don't have any c-clamps but can buy them.

Tim

I suspect that the ridge will no longer be a ridge after the "inlay" has been inserted, provided that the thickness of the inlay is the same as the depth of the milled portion.

I suspect that the ridge will no longer be a ridge after the "inlay" has been inserted, provided that the thickness of the inlay is the same as the depth of the milled portion.
Well, that is if I do a traditional label - but I've got another idea. It may not work, but it might. At the very least, I want to milled portion centered consistently.

I need to know the diameter of the portion of the chuck above that section that grips the bit. You measured the section below it.

I need to know the diameter of the portion of the chuck above that section that grips the bit. You measured the section below it.
It appears to be 1 3/4" to me.

Is there a way you can measure it exactly? It's important. Show a ruler up against it or get its circumference.

Per the mfg the specifications here, it looks like the spindle travel is 3 1/4". The other measurement you're asking about is .. I got ahold of one of those flexible rulers the seamstress would use ... it's 5 1/4" around that piece, exactly. Does that help?

Per the mfg the specifications here, it looks like the spindle travel is 3 1/4". The other measurement you're asking about is .. I got ahold of one of those flexible rulers the seamstress would use ... it's 5 1/4" around that piece, exactly. Does that help?

You can take the circumfrence and divide it by Pi to get the diameter (ie 3.14159265359)=1.67112690246 inches ;)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom