Help me buy a nice acoustic guitar (1 Viewer)

One thing I don't like about nice guitars is how bright they sound. I don't like that twangy ultra bright sound. I am a child of the 90s and grew up with Garbage and Nirvana. Anything specific I should be looking for to have better mids/base without being twangy? I like a full sound not all high end.
Pretty sure Cobain played a Martin on the Nirvana unplugged recording. I think Jerry Cantrell played a Guild on the AIC unplugged.

I also have to disagree with this. I have owned higher end Martins and Taylors, and one Gibson over the years. The best bang for the buck, in my opinion anyway, is actually the PRS Angelus. Absolutely beautiful looking, sounding, and a joy to play. It actually is my favorite acoustic to play for the last few years. Right now they are at Sweetwater for sub $1k.

Definitely play as many different bodies and brands as you can before making a decision, though.
I haven’t tried the PRS acoustics, but I’ve seen positive reviews.

I was only referring to the Martins and Taylor models made to be in that ~$1000 price range. I haven’t played one of them that I’ve liked. There are much better options, including Eastman (always my first recommendation), Yamaha, Orangewood, and probably others I’m not familiar with.

One thing I don't like about nice guitars is how bright they sound. I don't like that twangy ultra bright sound. I am a child of the 90s and grew up with Garbage and Nirvana. Anything specific I should be looking for to have better mids/base without being twangy? I like a full sound not all high end.
Never change your strings. Problem solved. ;)

Thanks for all the input! I need to go down to my local shop and touch wood!

Try a mahogany topped guitar. I like them for this exact reason. I know they’re not worth a lot, but listen to YouTube demos of different tone woods.

I have owned higher end Martins and Taylors, and one Gibson over the years. The best bang for the buck, in my opinion anyway, is actually the PRS Angelus. Absolutely beautiful looking, sounding, and a joy to play. It actually is my favorite acoustic to play for the last few years. Right now they are at Sweetwater for sub $1k.

Definitely play as many different bodies and brands as you can before making a decision, though.
I think this is why you need to play them. I love my PRS electric, but didn’t love the acoustic. Obviously just a personal preference thing.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom