Tourney Help! How do you handle this? Unable to host scheduled league game (1 Viewer)

JStew

Pair
Reaction score
I host a monthly home league with 10 regular season games and then a championship game. Always 2nd Tuesday of the month. $30 buy-in with $5 going to championship pot and $25 for monthly pot. Top 10 in points make championship plus a playin game for two additional spots for people who made at least half the tourneys during the year who aren’t in top 10. Starting stacks in championship are weighted based on league points during the year. Average 15 guys, mostly close friends, family, a few guys from work and of course the friend of a friend guys.

I’m trying to figure out what to do if I can’t host on one of the set dates. Unfortunately my written rules don’t address this situation. I’m in year three and haven’t had to move a date yet and want to avoid as it could impact league results. Possible reasons to be unable to host include illness (like a horrible flu) or the actual situation I’m facing is a Hawaii trip this summer. Originally scheduled around the league but the trip recently needed to be moved up a week due to family considerations. I can cancel the June game, move it up a week, or have someone else volunteer to host? I could also offer refunds to people who feel like they were unfairly treated by the game moving from the date that was set before the start of the season? Also any suggestions on how to address this inevitability in my written league rules.

Thanks for your thoughts/experience in this tricky situation.

Sounds like you put a lot of effort into running the league and hosting it every month. Move the game, everyone else can suck it up. They'll be fine though, and I'm sure they appreciate the effort you put in and will understand.

We play roughly every three weeks. Sometimes it's two weeks inbetween games, sometimes it's four due to my or my family schedule. Way she goes.

Move the game. Seems like more than enough notice.

Do all of your players make every single one of the games? They ought to understand that you also are going to have the rare exception.

Move the game. I think that's plenty of notice. While we no longer do a league, when I was running a league, I had to cancel a game because of my mom's death. We could not get another date that month to reschedule (obviously couldn't move it to before she died). I just canceled the game that month. We did 12 games for our league, and that year we did 11.

While no longer a league, I give players as much notice as possible that we must move a game. Life happens; it's more important than poker. Everyone should understand that.

If you make the rules, add this. "If the date of a game needs to change, the [Host/Tournament Director] will provide as much notice as possible." Or, if you have written policies too, make it a policy instead of a rule.

Last edited:
It's March and we're talking about June? Yeah I doubt you should get any pushback for rescheduling.

If someone does push back, put it back on them to see if they will guest-host to keep the calendar. If not, they have nothing to say about it.

@TexRex 's suggestion to put a covering written rule is a good one. Take this opportunity to make that change as well.

Agree with the consensus. You are giving plenty of notice so that moving the game to a different date is OK.

You would also be giving plenty of notice if you decided to skip that month and push back everything after one month.

Agree with others. You’re giving everyone plenty of notice. If they have any problems, well they need to be understanding. You’re putting in a lot of work to run the league.

Family is and will always be #1 for me. Can always make up poker nights, games. Family memories are more cherrishable.

Now would be a good time to add in a rule that covers things such as this.

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions for what to put in the league rules. I feel a lot better and will give the league notice now. Like stated these are good friends so I imagine everyone will understand.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom