Help! Asking for feedback on color and spot choices for a new cash and tournament set (1 Viewer)

Thanks bud, I'm going to try hard, but it's leaning towards not being able to make it. We're having a birthday party for the little guy the next day and may be tied up most of Saturday to set up.

No worries, they're here if you ever want to check them out. :tup:

I'll throw my 2¢ in regarding the tourney set and be the voice of dissent, I liked your original T500 better. I do love retro lavender though, and paired with either blurple / bright white or light green / blurple here would look great (or swap in purple for blurple for less contrast). The former was actually almost the T500 for my barrel house set :) And then removing the DG pink from the T500 would free it up for the 25k....

1650895321452.png

1650895331046.png

Looking at this again. Do the T500 and T1000 have enough contrast against each other if one is retro lavender and the other DG Tiger? Maybe switch the T1k and T5k and make the T1k yellow and the T5k Tiger?

1656477957556.png

I’ve wrestled with this same thing. I do think it would be plenty playable without being dirty or anything, but a yellow 1k would be exponentially cleaner. 1ks are often in stacks on the table so I totally get wanting to make it tiger. It’s a conundrum for sure.

I’ve wrestled with this same thing. I do think it would be plenty playable without being dirty or anything, but a yellow 1k would be exponentially cleaner. 1ks are often in stacks on the table so I totally get wanting to make it tiger. It’s a conundrum for sure.
My WSOP ceramics, CDI's and solids tournament sets have yellow 1k's. My Rounders, Canoe Clubs, Riverboats, ESPT, and a set to be named later have DG Tiger, Peach, blaze, or another variety of orange as the 1k.

The only thing I'd be wrestling with is if there will be too much yellow in the starting stack with a pretty loud DG Yellow spot on the T25 and a canary base T1k. I love the color combo of the yellow chip I mocked up and think they'd absolutely be dynamite as the workhorse chip for the set as the DG Tiger would.

Thankfully I have plenty more time to meditate on this!

Definitely don’t disagree. My vote would go for the canary 1k

Circling back on the cash set a bit.

I wasn't at all happy with how the green 50 cent chip was looking. However, I loved @kirchhausen 's Chessie's Cove half pie frac and how it went with the rest of the set. I think it could go well here, too. What say you guys?

Cayman Cash Set.png

Point #2. I like how the 4d14 blue $1 looks as is, but I use the d14 spot patterns lots on my customs. I want to try and do something different here. I'm trying really hard to make a 3TA316 $1 that I like, but I can't mock one up that I like, ever. Help! Some ideas I came up with, but I don't really like any of them. First glance, if I were to go that route, I like the French Flag one with retro blue, bright white, and Mandarin red.
Caribbean Cash Set 3TA316 $1's.png

Damn this hobby.

Inspiration struck like a lightning bolt earlier this week for a new set inspired by a favorite vacation spot. After seeing the awesome aquatic/beach motif inspired sets from @Eloe2000 , @Rbonus012 , and Fink with his P+P set, I figured I'd try my hand at my own. I'm going to keep the specifics on the down low, but I'm shooting for a Caribbean/beach theme with these chips. I want the colors and edge spots to go along that theme as closely as possible.

It'll be on HHR mold if I ever get these made (the reason will make sense when I explain the back story), and that part is not negotiable for change.

As I won't have any set with shaped inlays, I'll try my hand at it with the cash set with this theme. This is what I have so far, but open to feedback on color, edge spot progression, and inlay shape choices. I'm going to give my thoughts on each chip so far as well below.

View attachment 892623

Frac: I could go either way here between a red or a green frac. If I go with a green frac though, I'd change the spots on the $1 to red or pink instead of green as is. Maybe go maroon here instead of red? I got my color sample out and I'm just not sure if red provides enough of contrast against the retro red base.

$1: I forgot to change the edge spot pattern on this one before hitting save. I'm likely going to make this 4D14 instead of 4DS18 as I plan on using the latter spot pattern. On my color sample DG Green could work really nicely here, and I don't want to outright copy @Eloe2000 's Casa Mango $1 here, though I won't lie and say that chip is a huge inspiration in thinking this one up. I have a DG Peacock $1 already pending that'll be 3D14, I'm trying to do something different here. I'm flexible with the edge spot pattern here, but as long as it makes sense in the context of the entire set, but am more or less settled on the DG Peacock base and bright white and DG Green or light green spots. Do I rotate the spots 45 degrees to better fit the inlay shape, or is it ok as is?

$5: The first chip I thought of when mocking this set up. This one screams Caribbean and "the beach" to me. I'm really happy with the colors and edge spots as is, but try to change my mind! This shaped inlay works perfectly with the 414418 spot as well!

$20: This was one of the more challenging chips. I already covered so much of the CPC palette in the first three chips and it was hard to think up something that wouldn't cause dirty stack or pot issues. I really want the 3TA316 spot to work here if I can as I don't have a set as of yet with this edge spot in it, and I think the $20 here, especially after a $5 that pops the way it does, is a good place to do it. I'm definitely flexible with the edge spot colors here, I struggled lots in thinking this one up. There may be a good start with the gray and light blue spots on the outside, but I'm trying to find the right color for the third spot in the middle that would provide contrast.

$100: Definitely going white for the base here, but I'm flexible on the spot pattern and edge spot colors. I already know this set will be heavy on the blues, yellows, oranges, and reds, but do I continue with that or do I do something different here? Would love to see some different ideas for this chip and the $20, while the $5, frac, and $1 I'm pretty much set on the colors, at least.

As for the tournament set, I want to do a set with the same edge spot pattern as the others I've made will have different edge spots. Again, going with the Caribbean/beach theme here.

View attachment 892624

So I'm pretty happy with the cohesiveness and color scheme of each chip individually in this lineup. I opted for the 4DS18 spot because I don't have many chips that have this spot pattern, and would look good in stacks on the table. It also allows for more of the base chip color to shine through as opposed to the 4DS16 pattern that covers the edge of the chip almost all the way to the inlay. I made the set in a way that is very formulaic; one faded color relative to the chip base and a contrasting color (ex. green spot on a light green base, light blue on an imperial blue base, you get the idea).

Some thoughts:

On the T25, do I make it contrast more and go with dark green or retro green instead of regular green?

T100 I'm very happy with. Maybe arc yellow instead of peach?

T500 looks good too, but maybe DG pink instead of regular pink? I think regular pink is just right to provide contrast but not so much that it's screaming and clashing with the DG Tiger base in the T1000.

T1000 is a banger. I'm happy with that completely. Ditto the T5000.

For the white T25,000, I tried to pick two colors that weren't used yet. DG pink fit the bill as it wasn't used on the T500, and the T500 will be off the table by the time T25,000's would ever make an appearance. Any other ideas for a bright white base chip here? I'm open to different color suggestions here.

Alright, go ahead and roast me!
Love the idea! Just two very initial thoughts:

1) Regarding the $20 chip: Many Caribbean islands have a flag or color theme specific to that island. Since you are theming these on a specific vacation spot, maybe go with something that pays homage to that particular place. I just went to St Lucia and loved it, So a chip like this would fit in both color progression and theme:
1659615561723.png
1659615583671.png

2) Regarding your T25 chip: I think you would be happier with the result of a darker green edge spot to offset the light green base. Retro green is a perfect match IMO.

100% agree. I think it would be fine, doubt you would have dirty stacks. BUT, switching and having a bright yellow 1k would definitely have way more contrast. (and I personally loves stacks of bright yellow chips more than just about anything).

Thanks guys, I look some feedback and came up with this:

Tournament Set:

View attachment 892918

I decided to go with a little more contrast on the T25 with a retro green spot instead of green. I subconsciously must love the light green/green/canary combo as they're my exact colors for my Canoe Club T25 :LOL: :laugh:

I took Anthony's advice and made a more "tropical" looking T500. I really like retro lavender here, but thoughts as to whether this would cause dirty pot/stack issues with DG Tiger T1000's? It doesn't look like it at first glance but not sure if there have been any real life examples yet.

Also still appreciate any suggestions for spot colors on the white base T25,000 chip. I'm not totally sold on that combo yet...

I made two more cash set mockups too with a new $20 and two different versions of the one. I also changed the red spot to maroon to provide a bit more contrast

Better or more messy?

View attachment 892921

Or do I just go with what I had originally planned for but with a new $20?

View attachment 892922

I can't make a 3TA316 chip that I like. I like the spot/color combo of the new $20. Thoughts?
Really like them both, but slight edge to the bottom

Having recently order, this is a 600+ rack o.0

This is your 3rd and 4th set? They said Tattoos were addictive.

Screenshot 2022-08-04 083958.jpg

Circling back on the cash set a bit.

I wasn't at all happy with how the green 50 cent chip was looking. However, I loved @kirchhausen 's Chessie's Cove half pie frac and how it went with the rest of the set. I think it could go well here, too. What say you guys?

View attachment 960985

Point #2. I like how the 4d14 blue $1 looks as is, but I use the d14 spot patterns lots on my customs. I want to try and do something different here. I'm trying really hard to make a 3TA316 $1 that I like, but I can't mock one up that I like, ever. Help! Some ideas I came up with, but I don't really like any of them. First glance, if I were to go that route, I like the French Flag one with retro blue, bright white, and Mandarin red.
View attachment 960986
Love set#1 with the 4d14, ship it!

Having recently order, this is a 600+ rack o.0

This is your 3rd and 4th set? They said Tattoos were addictive.

View attachment 961215
I keep coming up with awesome ideas for sets. I blame my stiffled creativity.

This set is going to cost a pretty penny between the shaped inlays and advanced spots. This is why I only buy a single table set for all of my customs. More different sets get into play that way either way.

Love the idea! Just two very initial thoughts:

1) Regarding the $20 chip: Many Caribbean islands have a flag or color theme specific to that island. Since you are theming these on a specific vacation spot, maybe go with something that pays homage to that particular place. I just went to St Lucia and loved it, So a chip like this would fit in both color progression and theme:
View attachment 961207View attachment 961209

2) Regarding your T25 chip: I think you would be happier with the result of a darker green edge spot to offset the light green base. Retro green is a perfect match IMO.
Without giving too much away, in doing this, I would already have a chip in another set that's very similar, and would rather not go that route:)

I keep going back and forth on the half dollar. I can't help but to think the quarter pie fits best, but something about the color combos just seems....off? Like the retro green on the half dollar and red spots on the frac bleed into each other? Am I crazy?

Cayman Cash Set Quarter Pie.png

I’m not sure what you’re seeing, but nothing jumps out at me.

I’m not sure what you’re seeing, but nothing jumps out at me.
Sorry, just saw this. Does anyone else think that the red spot on the frac and the green spots and retro green spots on the green chip would make dirty stacks? The colors are a tad close even though the base colors are very different.

Decided I'm just going to go with denominated nickels and quarters rather than the non denominated route for the two fractional chips. The progression of the quarter pie to 412 goes better I think, but should I do a red quarter or green quarter, with the other being the nickel in the context of the rest of the set? Not going to be too much red and orange if I go with the red quarter and DG peach $5 and purple $20 with arc yellow and mandarin red, right?

Cayman Cash Set Quarter Pie Nickel.png

Decided I'm just going to go with denominated nickels and quarters rather than the non denominated route for the two fractional chips. The progression of the quarter pie to 412 goes better I think, but should I do a red quarter or green quarter, with the other being the nickel in the context of the rest of the set? Not going to be too much red and orange if I go with the red quarter and DG peach $5 and purple $20 with arc yellow and mandarin red, right?

View attachment 1003353
If I may make a suggestion
5E67BF22-4F32-4490-BD15-31D5B60A0F84.png

What say you guys? Ship it?

Cayman Cash single color quarter pie.png

Have you considered using maroon in lieu of red?
Too much of a clash between the retro green spot on the nickel I decided. I played with the combo of pink and maroon spots on the quarter but didn't like the flow of it at the end of the day even though the chip in itself looks great.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom