Tourney Help - 300 chip breakdown (3 Viewers)

This is good advice.

Of course, if there are rebuys allowed, the biggest chip values could be introduced then, as more change will be on the table from the stacks that busted. If starting stacks are T1000, I might include one T500 chip -- say a rebuy stack of 5-T100s + 1-T500, or 4-T25 + 4T100 + 1T500.

I think tourneys play out better if there are around as many (or more) of the third or fourth-highest denom chips in play as the lowest two denom chip in play. Because in the middle to late rounds, standard raise and bet sizes will be using the higher denom a lot. The smallest chip denom won't be used too much other than blinds after the first couple levels. The 10/8/10/7 breakdown is much better than 10/8/6/3/1.

Cool. There are others members & posts here on PCF where poker chip sets were used double duty for board games as well. I'm curious how the breakdown of denoms works for the boardgames you need versus a poker tournament. I'm guessing some board games might need a lot more 1s & 5s where a poker tourney really doesn't.

It's funny, I think a lot of us here went through the same thoughts when we first bought poker chips. I never fully thought through a tournament set breakdown myself, (although I had a great set breakdown that served me well for cash games), but for a tourney set, I bought a whole bunch of different colors of chips I never even used or got in play. I wish I would have put some more thought into it and went through the starting stack math & breakdowns better before I bought the tourney chips.
I am thinking of buying 100 more chips, do you think a starting stack of 15/12/9/7 would be much better than 10/8/10/7, or would it just be spending money for not much improvement?

Yes the boardgames I play will just likely use the T1 & T5 chips. They really upgrade the feel of any game.

I am thinking of buying 100 more chips, do you think a starting stack of 15/12/9/7 would be much better than 10/8/10/7, or would it just be spending money for not much improvement?

Yes the boardgames I play will just likely use the T1 & T5 chips. They really upgrade the feel of any game.
My view is that poker starting stacks are best constructed when they contain 12 to 16 chips of the two lowest denominations, with a bare minimum of 8 to 10 chips each (and 20 maximum).

So 15 chips for an optimum T1-, T5-, or T100-base set (especially if using antes), and 12 (or 16) chips for a T25-base set. Using fewer chips requires unnecessary change-making at the table and will slow down play.

My view is that poker starting stacks are best constructed when they contain 12 to 16 chips of the two lowest denominations, with a bare minimum of 8 to 10 chips each (and 20 maximum).

So 15 chips for an optimum T1-, T5-, or T100-base set (especially if using antes), and 12 (or 16) chips for a T25-base set. Using fewer chips requires unnecessary change-making at the table and will slow down play.
Would it be better to increase the amount of T5's, starting with 10/13/9/7 as they will be relevant longer into the game?

I suppose it doesn't actually as 15/12/9/7 gives you both the lowest denominations in the 12-16 range.

Other things being equal @BGinGA, do you prefer a shorter stack with lower blind increases (e.g. 100bb @40%) or a bigger stack with bigger jumps (e.g. 250bb @60% increases)?
Good question.

I'd likely side with the larger stack size -- starting with 250bb is more forgiving than 100bb in terms of mistakes, bad beats, and cooler-type hands.

A 59% avg increase blind schedule (50% to 66% increases) works well, and often allows longer blind level times while still finishing in the allotted tourney's time frame.

Good question.

I'd likely side with the larger stack size -- starting with 250bb is more forgiving than 100bb in terms of mistakes, bad beats, and cooler-type hands.

A 59% avg increase blind schedule (50% to 66% increases) works well, and often allows longer blind level times while still finishing in the allotted tourney's time frame.
I’ve kind of iterated to the larger stack, rounded down 66% structure mainly because it works well and I’m a fan of Fibonacci :), but I’ve not explored the whole parameter space. So good to know I’m in the right place:cool

Thanks for your answer.

I think either of those breakdowns should work fine... it's just a 1 chip difference in the T-25s (or 3rd highest denom.) Especially if you're buying additional T1s & T5s anyway to use for boardgames, might as well put them to use in the poker tournament, too, with a 15/12 breakdown. There will be less change-making in early rounds going with more lower chips, too.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom