Have Chinese cards mold replica sets gone too far? (1 Viewer)

Where would this fall in your guys’ eyes of IP theft? Is it a tribute?

Attachments

• IMG_2008.png
    IMG_2008.png
    74.8 KB · Views: 113
It’s about respect for intellectual property.

Know what else was really popular in the past? Replica Dunes China clays. Know what the difference is? The people who produced those had the decency to secure the rights to the design.

I didn't know replica Dunes makers had the rights to the design. Though now that I think about it, I should've known since Apache does things the right way.

I wonder if they will release on ceramic.

I didn't know replica Dunes makers had the rights to the design. Though now that I think about it, I should've known since Apache does things the right way.
Jim @TheChipRoom bought the Dunes rights and then had a Chinese factory produce both the 9g plastic injection-molded version and the first china clay Dunes Commemorative chips (same manufacturer as the china clay version of the Pharaoh's Club chips).

He later sold the rights to Josh @Apache Poker Chips, who has since offered both china clay lines on his web site (including a slightly modified Dunes version), plus several new(er) original china clay chip lines (Majestics, Royals, Bank).

Jim @TheChipRoom bought the Dunes rights and then had a Chinese factory produce both the 9g plastic injection-molded version and the first china clay Dunes Commemorative chips (same manufacturer as the china clay version of the Pharaoh's Club chips).

He later sold the rights to Josh @Apache Poker Chips, who has since offered both china clay lines on his web site (including a slightly modified Dunes version), plus several new(er) original china clay chip lines (Majestics, Royals, Bank).

Thanks for the history!

The dilemma is that I like the ceramic feel and durability better than china clay, but I like the china clay designs better... fingers crossed for a re-release.

If anyone is concerned about knockoffs being sold as Paulson chips: "caveat emptor".
I do not agree that a demand was being met in the marketplace for affordable FULLY CUSTOM chips.
Cheap chips were and are certainly available but none of them are fully custom. I like the custom printed Chiplab chips but the edge spots are unchangeable and cost about 2x what we are speaking of here. Custom ceramic chip makers here in the US are fantastic vendors but they cost about 3x.
I think I'm more disgusted by real Paulson chips that somehow are being made against all current published GPI policy and are then being sold for ... go look for yourself. Like I stated previously, GPI killed this horse that is now being beaten. If they offered their services to the public like they used to then things would be a LOT different. I'd even be satisfied if such chips were limited to the BCC equipment and formula. They did offer that for a short time, then nixed it. More power to CPC! Unfortunately many cannot afford those either.
I'm glad there is a cheap option available, even if they are NOT clay chips. I see there are those who take issue with the Tina chips although I have read posts of theirs in which they admit they own those very chips. Hmm. Perhaps theirs aren't copies of something else? I have an order in for chips and my design is not a copy of anything.

If anyone is concerned about knockoffs being sold as Paulson chips: "caveat emptor".
I do not agree that a demand was being met in the marketplace for affordable FULLY CUSTOM chips.
Cheap chips were and are certainly available but none of them are fully custom. I like the custom printed Chiplab chips but the edge spots are unchangeable and cost about 2x what we are speaking of here. Custom ceramic chip makers here in the US are fantastic vendors but they cost about 3x.

I think I'm more disgusted by real Paulson chips that somehow are being made against all current published GPI policy and are then being sold for ... go look for yourself. Like I stated previously, GPI killed this horse that is now being beaten. If they offered their services to the public like they used to then things would be a LOT different. I'd even be satisfied if such chips were limited to the BCC equipment and formula. They did offer that for a short time, then nixed it. More power to CPC! Unfortunately many cannot afford those either.
I'm glad there is a cheap option available, even if they are NOT clay chips. I see there are those who take issue with the Tina chips although I have read posts of theirs in which they admit they own those very chips. Hmm. Perhaps theirs aren't copies of something else? I have an order in for chips and my design is not a copy of anything.

Post a pic. Would love to see what direction you've gone.

My opinion has evolved a little bit since this discussion started.

I'm still of the mind that this product fills a gap in the marketplace, ethical issues notwithstanding.

But after acquiring a rack of replica* Bellagio hundos, these chips are garbage. They look nice and the colors pop, but the entire rack is nothing but spinners and don't stack well at all. I couldn't imagine subjecting the esteemed degenerates of the Moxie Poker League to such a low quality experience.

It's also worth mentioning that these are the only ones I've owned in any meaningful quantity, so I leave room for the possibility that mine were simply part of a bad batch of blanks and their quality control is usually much better. If I'm wrong I'm wrong but somehow I doubt it.

*(I personally despise the characterization 'tribute'; these are not a tribute to anything. They're a cheap knockoff /rant).

It’s either a free market system and people are free to flip chips and to create tributes on cards mold or it’s not a free market system and it’s more of a hobby. The people that are perfectly ok with flipping but see cards molds chips as an abomination against man and country are utterly nonsensical.

I personally don’t think that THC and RHC and other molds should be used with these Tina chips, but it’s not hard to see why people want them when many can’t afford $3K for a playable 1000 chip set of ASMs or $5000 and up for a minty Paulson equivalent.

But after acquiring a rack of replica* Bellagio hundos, these chips are garbage. They look nice and the colors pop, but the entire rack is nothing but spinners and don't stack well at all.

What's wrong with their stacking? My CM samples seem fine when stacking and pushing.

I am hoping that one of the positives that comes from all of this is better pictures in the classified. The buyer is going to want to see the molds when they zoom in. It should be clear. In some sales, they aren't. There is definitely a difference between sales adds from experienced chippers and Newbie Johnny-Flip-its.

What's wrong with their stacking? My CM samples seem fine when stacking and pushing.
I believe the Bellagio chips were on the no mold, which is more prone to having spinners than the CM
The only sample I had was a stack of 10 - not really enough to form an opinion.

Correct - they are the no-mold variety.

Me right now because I agree with @bergs but hesitant to admit that publicly.
View attachment 1168693
I think it's a little crazy. As one who shouts at clouds, I shouldn't be throwing stones.
But if you complain about cards mold copies, @bergs rants about flippers.
If you complain about eBay sellers, @bergs rants about flippers.
If you complain about the loss of sense of community among chippers, @bergs rants about flippers.
Pardon me while I go google "loose associations."

I think it's a little crazy. As one who shouts at clouds, I shouldn't be throwing stones.
But if you complain about cards mold copies, @bergs rants about flippers.
If you complain about eBay sellers, @bergs rants about flippers.
If you complain about the loss of sense of community among chippers, @bergs rants about flippers.
At least he's not yelling BING BONG and choking on a flip flop in his gullet like normal.

But if you complain about cards mold copies,@bergs rants about flippers.
I didn’t rant about flippers. Just saying it’s weird to be so wrapped around the axle with cards molds copies as a deterrent to our community and not feel the same way about what flippers do to the accessibility to the authentic clay chips that we all aspire to.
If you complain about eBay sellers,
@bergs rants about flippers.
No, I don’t. eBay is by definition the furthest thing from a hobbyist site. If you want to get whatever value you can from a set, eBay is often the way to go.
If you complain about the loss of sense of community among chippers,
@bergs rants about flippers.
Well, yeah. If there were fewer flippers, PCF would feel more like a hobbyist community and less like a predatory marketplace site where the community can be fleeced.
Pardon me why I try to see what it is in the sky that you’re repeatedly yelling at and shaking your fist at.

Here’s my point:

“Oh these card molds are going to hurt the community”

Vs.

“It’s ok that the chips I was going to buy for $3/each are $4.25/each now because I wanted to pay the extra $1250 for a 1K chip set to some faceless internet turdball who only bought them because they saw them in the classifieds before I did and knew I wanted them”.

Or a variation on the last point:

“I’m going to buy 2500 chips from this Chiproom sale for $3300 knowing that I can claim in 3 weeks that my dog didn’t get a scholarship and boy school is expensive and sell them back to the people that would’ve bought them initially anyway only now they’re $5000”.

(Snark on) Yeah, the proliferation of cheaper non-exact replica chips is definitely the problem facing the community (snark off)

One could make an argument that if flippers didn’t exist to arbitrarily pump up prices, fewer people would want cards mold chips in the first place because Paulsons would be incrementally more affordable.

If you want to blame someone for cards mold chips, you have to at least in partial fashion blame the flippers and the people that are ok with their activity.

I didn’t rant about flippers. Just saying it’s weird to be so wrapped around the axle with cards molds copies as a deterrent to our community and not feel the same way about what flippers do to the accessibility to the authentic clay chips that we all aspire to.

No, I don’t. eBay is by definition the furthest thing from a hobbyist site. If you want to get whatever value you can from a set, eBay is often the way to go.

Well, yeah. If there were fewer flippers, PCF would feel more like a hobbyist community and less like a predatory marketplace site where the community can be fleeced.

Pardon me why I try to see what it is in the sky that you’re repeatedly yelling at and shaking your fist at.
Uh oh - friendly fire.

Post a pic. Would love to see what direction you've gone.
I will when the chips arrive, probably September.
I believe the Bellagio chips were on the no mold, which is more prone to having spinners than the CM
Uh oh. I had read somewhere here the exact opposite. My chips are no mold. I hope spinners will be at a minimum. I do realize the price point is lowwww so I can live with some spinners. I always wondered about CM spinners anyway: don't the centers have a slight recess? It seems that would result in fewer spinners as the center of the chip would be lower than the edges, reducing the "spinning top" effect. ??

THEN WHY DO WE GOTTA KEEP HOLDING YOU DOWN AND REMOVING THEM? STOP IT.

BAD BERGS. BAD. BAD ....
Me: THEY’RE MY FUCKING SHOES ASSHOLE THEY’RE ON MY GODDAMN FEET I CANT WALK AROUND TEXAS BAREFOOT IT’S 170 DEGREES ON THE BLACKTOP.

Josh thought bubble: (Gee I dunno I can’t tell difference between feet and mouth.)

Narrator: “It actually did pass the test of reasonability. Josh simply lacked the experience discerning between various parts of the human anatomy. You see, to a potato, everything is just…..skin”.

Me: THEY’RE MY FUCKING SHOES ASSHOLE THEY’RE ON MY GODDAMN FEET I CANT WALK AROUND TEXAS BAREFOOT IT’S 170 DEGREES ON THE BLACKTOP.

Josh thought bubble: (Gee I dunno I can’t tell difference between feet and mouth.)

Narrator: “It actually did pass the test of reasonability. Josh simply lacked the experience discerning between various parts of the human anatomy. You see, to a potato, everything is just…..skin”.
Potato?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom