Has anyone met a poker pro? (1 Viewer)

We had a friend who used to bring Amir Vahedi to our game before he passed. He was every bit of himself as he was on TV as he was in our $40 tournament. We used to do 3 table tournaments with no rebuys, but he requested special permission to rebuy and he never disappointed. Cigar in his mouth, creating action, happy, and respectful. One great dude, and hopefully resting in peace.

I looked up the Raymer bust and saw this headline. Read the first sentence of the article. Lol give that writer a raise. Sooo good

IMG_6269.png

Met/saw too many to list during WSOP. Favorites were Saya Ono and Maria Ho.

Played with Martin Kabrhel in the $1500 Super Turbo Bounty right after he was accused of cheating in the $250k. He was listening to an hour long interview of himself on speaker at the table, berating the dealer (dealer really was awful), running shuttle sprints between hands, standing up and leaning over the table to look at people's face closer, etc. He bluffed off over half his stack to me which led to his elimination about 2 orbits later
Martin leads out from UTG, I'm the 3rd caller with Q4o in CO
Flop Q9? (something irrelevant), Martin c-bet, folds to me, I call, heads up
Turn 9 checks
River 5 I think. Martin checks, I bet about 75% pot, he 4x raise, I call, Martin shows A8o
He referred to me as Mr. Queen 4 after that.

I wanna hear some stories from people who met professional players. My only experience with a pro was doing a zoom interview with someone who was on HCL and has a vlog
I have never played with any, but I've met a few at the WSOP Main Event. Here's my experience over the past few years.

Negreanu is awesome and takes time to chat with everybody. He even stopped in the middle of an interview to walk over and sign hats for me and a woman that were patiently waiting for him.

20160711_233153.jpgimagejpeg_0 (1).jpg

Scotty is awesome as well. I ran into him a couple of times, but was a bit pissed at myself that I didn't ask him if I could buy him a shot.

20160711_133817.jpg20220707_231345.jpg

Helmuth is a bit self absorbed and can be a prick. He was on the rail a few years ago, and a couple next to me asked him to sign their shirts. He said he would only sign one. I thought he was joking, but he signed the wife's and then blew the dude off. He signed my hat, but I didn't care to take a pic with him.

Ivey is a total dick. His super-fan elderly couple are sweet as can be. I have a hat that I had signed by Negreanu, Helmuth, and I was hoping for Ivey as well. He was along the rail and ready for break. He signed a girls hat next to me, but looked at me sideways and went to walk away. I noticed the ESPN camera on him so I yelled "PHIL" and held the hat and pen up. He was so pissed, but didn't want the cameras to catch him blowing me off, so he signed it.

20140707_131445.jpg
20150709_140543.jpg

Also ran into Raymer a couple of times. He was nice.

20150706_124755.jpg

Oh yeah. And me and my peeps were on the intro to the WSOP on ESPN a few years back. As it turns out, they LOVE drunk loud fans...LOL!! The year after this, we were in a Poker News article talking about how Negreanu plays short stacks different than others. I'll need to do some digging to find that one.

imagejpeg_0.jpg

I found that if you spend a couple of days at the ME, you will meet a ton of pros.

Last edited:
I did once. Was pretty warm outside for a summer's evening, we were on a train but I forget where to. Honestly it was the middle of the night and neither of us could sleep, we just shared a drink and chatted. Well, he did most of the talking. Imparted some knowledge about cards and tells cause he realized I had no idea what I was doing!

He died later that night, but I'll always remember what he told me.

Was he just as annoying as he is on the TV tables? I don’t think I could handle his nonstop babbling bullshit for more than an orbit.
He is the same annoying asshat, but that's part of his game so if you let it get to you, you lose. I embraced it, laughed at his antics because it's just so ridiculous, told him I love it. He's wants the negative reaction to know he can get under your skin and he certainly did for many people at the table. Just not me.

One of the guys on the table asked Martin if he could use headphones or turn off the interview and watch it later. Martin said "the first option is not possible since I do not have the equipment, for the second option I can turn it down but I will not turn it off, if you don't want to hear it you can knock me out." I was thinking, "like physically knock you out...?" because that could definitely happen if he annoyed the wrong person.

Played with Michael Binger and his brother Nick also a pro at my neighbor's house and friend Rick who is their brother. This was right after Michael came in 3rd at the 2006 WSOP ME Jamie Gold event. I've got some stories. Rick who had never played cracked my AA with A7 all-in with a runner runner str8, else I think I would have won. lol. And Rick beat his brothers and won. He beat Nick heads up. I had just gotten 2000 WPT chips I was proud of and brought over, but they decided to use dice chips. Both chips sucked.

I met Chris Bell in my driveway while his kids were trick or treating and he's down for my home game. He lives down the street. He and Nick went at it for a WSOP bracelet one year. Both have a bracelet now. He didn't know one of the Binger brothers lived 2 houses down from me.

Fun read: https://www.wsop.com/news/2011/Jul/...ICK-BINGER-WINS-FIRST-WSOP-GOLD-BRACELET.html

Last edited:
A friend of mine used to host a private tournament that ran for about 40 years. During the course of that time I had an opportunity to hang out and play at the same tables with Hall of Fame players Barbara Enright and Tom McEvoy. I also played many times with Glen Cozen, best known for his second place finish in the 93 main event. A great dude and a monster player…. Needless to say, they taught me alot!

I got to deal to a lot of pros this past summer. It's not the same as playing or talking to them. But still cool to have a front row seat at the table. Too many to name, and I'm sure there were 2x more that I didn't even recognize. But a few notables were D-Negs, berkey, Greentstien, Foxen, Peters, Matusow, and the one who stood out was Billy Baxter. I got to deal deep into the seniors event and when there were about 30 players left I sat down at his table. I kept thinking, damn, that guy looks familiar, like an old pro but probably not. Then he won a huge pot and started talking in his southern accent and it hit me, oh shit, that's who he is.

In 2018 I made a deep run in the plo giant. I got to play with Mike Mizrachi for a few hours. It was fun and entertaining. A little stressful because he drew a crowd. And even more stressful because I doubled him up twice after getting it in good. That was my one single flash of genius in my 20 year poker career. haha.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom