Has anyone ever rented out/loaned a set of their chips? (1 Viewer)

dmoney

Full House
Reaction score
I will be very busy with work the next 90 days or so and there’s 0% chance one of my cash sets gets used.

Has anyone ever loaned or rented out a set to another member? I’m not referring to a “guest set” at a multi-day meetup, I’m referring to a longer term agreement where the chips are sent and returned, for free/good will/karma, a fee, a trade, or otherwise, with a member here who they do or don’t know outside of PCF.

Seems rife for things to go sideways, but I had this thought in the shower and figured it would be worth it, as I’m sure it has been thought through by others before.

For clarity - “worth it” in the op intended to mean “discussing it.”

I’m inclined to think it’s not a great idea.

Any rules besides implied trust? I’d guess it was more of a handshake deal among veteran chippers or friends than a lesser known person who was less familiar?
If I trust them, then there isn't much to chat about. Take care of them, send them back insured. That's about it. If I had doubts, then it's someone I shouldn't be sending them to....

I actually considered building a collection and becoming a vendor on this site doing this (after all @Tommy would deserve a cut right).

There are a couple of reasons I choose not to:
1. High cost associated with starting: I have only a few sets of chips so there’s not enough variety. The upfront cost to get started are just too high for me.
2. General Cost and market: My plan was going to be to require a deposit to rent the chips and upon satisfactory return, you would receive the cash back minus rental fees. My idea for deposit would be the cost of the chips. That’s a pretty steep price.
3. No market: As my theory would be to target meetups and social events, there are too many better alternatives. Meetups specifically will use guest sets which is far more economically beneficial that renting chips. Also most people who host meetups seem to have amazing sets already so renting would be a waste.
4. Personal preference: There’s no logic for this other than my personal feelings. I feel really weird about profiting on chips. I don’t feel like this is what the community is about for me. I’m not here to make a profit. I’m hear cause I like poker chips and I like learning about them. I love this community and I find the relationships I’ve built here to be far greater than any money I could make on this site. I wouldn’t want to risk something going wrong and having to defend my reputation behind a misunderstanding. All that being said, those who choose to do that, I have no issue with. I’m not here to judge only to enjoy the community.

Sorry for being so long winded.

I actually considered building a collection and becoming a vendor on this site doing this (after all @Tommy would deserve a cut right).

1. High cost associated with starting: I have only a few sets of chips so there’s not enough variety. The upfront cost to get started are just too high for me.
2. General Cost and market: My plan was going to be to require a deposit to rent the chips and upon satisfactory return, you would receive the cash back minus rental fees. My idea for deposit would be the cost of the chips. That’s a pretty steep price.
3. No market: As my theory would be to target meetups and social events, there are too many better alternatives. Meetups specifically will use guest sets which is far more economically beneficial that renting chips. Also most people who host meetups seem to have amazing sets already so renting would be a waste.
4. Personal preference: There’s no logic for this other than my personal feelings. I feel really weird about profiting on chips. I don’t feel like this is what the community is about for me. I’m not here to make a profit. I’m hear cause I like poker chips and I like learning about them. I love this community and I find the relationships I’ve built here to be far greater than any money I could make on this site. I wouldn’t want to risk something going wrong and having to defend my reputation behind a misunderstanding. All that being said, those who choose to do that, I have no issue with. I’m not here to judge only to enjoy the community.

All great points, thanks for sharing.

Wonder if you could get an insurance policy against them for rental, make the fee cover that policy plus wear/tear and profit Then it would be alot less for the "deposit"

This does occur on occasion. @Ronoh sent the Pillage n Plumder chips to @inca911 for his meet up as a guest set, then sent them to Brie and I (as a guest set at a meet up in his own state! As funny as that may be) also let me hang onto them over the holidays and got them in play once more with the VA crew @Seeking Alpha Social Club before their long trip home. I went with UPS who had them back on his step the next day!

It was a gift that I never saw coming! An honor to get to play them not only in person, but actually hosting a true Hall of Fame set! Absolutely crazy! Fink and I have never met in person, but he knows I am passionate about our hobby and I believe my reputation amongst members would be considered highly reliable. It was still never racking hoping that I could trust all the people playing them. Especially in another state where we had never met a single person prior and many players were not chippers. Luckily every single chip made the voyage hone unharmed.

It was an amazing experience, and if I ever have something that cool that I could extend the opportunity to someone else, then I would be happy to do so.

But I would not rent my chips out... that is like temporary ownership. I would hope it would be different than say renting a car but "hey I don't own them and I have insurance" is very different when it is chips that can not be replaced. To some of us chips are more than just money... also I would rather do a service to this community as a way to give back that others have done for me... not worry about a few extra dollars.

Just my 2 cents folks

Fellow Chipper Ben

The first thing I would consider is "How easy is it to replace a lost/broken chip?"
The second is "How pissed would I be if there is a lost/broken chip?"

The easier it is and less pissed off I would be, the more inclined I am to loan/rent the set. Paulson clays I'd have a zero percent chance of loaning out without a full replacement deposit made in cash.

Its about the same as loaning your car out for a while. I would do it, but not to somebody who didn’t have a car because they had wrecked their last two. But someone who has a need and would take care of it and I wasn’t using it - why not?

Its about the same as loaning your car out for a while. I would do it, but not to somebody who didn’t have a car because they had wrecked their last two. But someone who has a need and would take care of it and I wasn’t using it - why not?
I actually did this recently. Wife has a busted foot and so we temporarily have an extra car. I called my insurance and interestingly we can loan a car for 30 days like that and it's fully covered. It would be cool if something like that existed for poker chips.

The other question is whether or not there's an actual market/demand for such a service and if so what is the price they are willing to pay?

I do loan my chips to the host of the local "big boys" game when I can't participate that month.

I try to be picky about the set though. Ideally it is this set of ceramics.

Why ceramics? Because they don't warp in the trunk / backseat of a car.

Also, these aren't all that difficult to replace. And the set is made up of a hodge-podge of quantities, nothing is round numbers of racks. More than the chips in this picture.

In a pinch I let my best chips out - once it was a birdcage of boat chips, one other time it was a birdcage of Bahamia. But I wasn't happy until all my babies came home.,

There are plenty of situations where I wouldn't lend out a dice chip due to the unreliable character of the host -=- DrStrange

I would lend out dice chips, and only dice chips. Dime a dozen (literally), and replacements are easy. Anything else: they can go buy their own damn chips

I lend out my Milanos and thats it. I'll probably sell them and lend out card mold chips if i ever get some (is the Aria group buy still happening?).

95895651-9885-420D-A233-2888844D6F37.jpeg

I have. 10-12 years ago. Still waiting to get them back. I left the cash game early and left the chips so they could keep playing. By the time I asked for them back they had disappeared. I don’t know if one of the other players walked off with them or the person whose house the game was at put them somewhere and doesn’t know where they are.

Either way, that is last time my chips left my possession. They were some of the original dunes commemorative chips from TCR so nothing really special but still pissed they never got returned.

I don’t lend anything out to anyone. After those first few times where my things were lent out in perfect condition and returned in a damaged condition, I vowed never to lend anything ever again. Nobody will have consideration for your things the way you do because it’s not theirs. This has been proven 99% of the time. Those rare occasions where nothing bad happened was probably due to me issuing a “stern warning” before I handed my stuff over.

I will be very busy with work the next 90 days or so and there’s 0% chance one of my cash sets gets used.

Has anyone ever loaned or rented out a set to another member? I’m not referring to a “guest set” at a multi-day meetup, I’m referring to a longer term agreement where the chips are sent and returned, for free/good will/karma, a fee, a trade, or otherwise, with a member here who they do or don’t know outside of PCF.

Seems rife for things to go sideways, but I had this thought in the shower and figured it would be worth it, as I’m sure it has been thought through by others before.
CHIPS WANT TO BE USED

I got a claysmith set of sluggos just for this purpose. My good chips are MINE. Those sluggos purely exist to handle the stupidity of people when I am not present.

There are a few folks that I would loan sets to But they don’t need them. Inca911, k9dr, Psypher1000, liftapint...folks like this could use anything they want

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom