Tourney Handling delays when moving players (1 Viewer)

Mr Winberg

Full House
Reaction score
I am somewhat familiar with how to move players in a TDA compliant way.

Tables of 8, players seated at

Table 1: Seats 1 (D), 3 (SB), 4 (BB), 5, 7, and 8
Table 2: Seats 1, 2 (D), 3 (SB), 5 (BB), and 7

Seat 1 on table 2 is eliminated, so the next BB on table 1 (seat 5) moves to the free seat on table 2 that will have the BB earliest, i.e. seat 6.

But what if table 1 is in a hand that's taking time? Does table 2 pause (alternative 1)? Or does it keep playing and the rule is implemented once the hand is over (alternative 2), meaning it might very well be to seat 8 that the player moves if table 2 has started another hand?

The drawback of alternative 1 is that play is halted. The drawback of alternative 2 is that seat 5 on table 1 can angle. If seat 7 on table 2 is super aggressive, the player can stall until his seat becomes seat 8 instead.

I'm hoping @BGinGA reads this... :whistle: :whistling:

Last edited:
It makes no difference. The point of doing it the way you describe is to ensure that table 1 seat 5 pays his BB as soon as possible. If seat 7 posts the BB before the tables rebalance then T1s5 moves to T2s8. The tables are not playing hand for hand.

The purpose of rebalancing is to ensure both tables pay the BB in an approximately the same number of hands so as not to be put at a disadvantage. In the long term whether one hand takes a long time or not, it will all balance out

Last edited:
It makes no difference. The point of doing it the way you describe is to ensure that table 1 seat 5 pays his BB as soon as possible. If seat 7 posts the BB before the tables rebalance then T1s5 moves to T2s8.

The purpose of rebalancing is to ensure both tables pay the BB in an approximately the same number of hands so as not to be put at a disadvantage. In the long term whether one hand takes a long time or not, it will all balance out
So you're sayin alternative 2? :)

The player can not be moved until the hand is over so T1s5 moves into the first available seat. Generally if the hand is close to being over and the other table is ready to deal then s6 will be dealt cards so the incoming player can post in that seat.

The player can not be moved until the hand is over
Yeah, I get that. My question is if you halt table 2 because they are only 4 players and have an incoming player on the way. But that's not how it's done?

Play is never halted at either table.

Player 5 at table 1 moves immediately to seat 6 at table 2, or asap if he's involved in the current hand at table 1.

If the moving player is posting the BB immediately at the new table, they should wait for him to post (and act), but otherwise, play continues normally with no delays.

The clock is not stopped, and the moving player never has an option on where to be seated.

I take that back.

BG, you wrote:
If the moving player is posting the BB immediately at the new table, they should wait for him to post (and act)
But you also wrote:
Play is never halted at either table.

Just so I'm not misunderstanding:
In my OP (if seat 5 is involved in the hand at table 1), does table 2 continue playing and player 5 from table 1 gets seated according to the BB and available seats when his hand is over (i.e. it could be seat 6, 8, or even 4 depending on when his hand is over). Or, is he assigned his seat (seat 6) immediately and table 2 has to wait?

Table 2 should only wait if the moving player is due to post the big blind immediately at his new table/seat.

But the clock doesn't stop.

If necessary, Table 2 can deal the cards and then wait for the newly-arriving player to post the BB and act when it's his turn.

The point of doing it the way you describe is to ensure that table 1 seat 5 pays his BB as soon as possible.
Is it? I always thought the purpose of doing it this way is so that nobody gets screwed. As long as you move the guy who's supposed to pay the blinds next, he can't get screwed no matter where he lands, in relation to the blinds.

?

If Seat 5 is supposed to be the next BB he moves into the empty seat closest to the BB on the other table.

How is that not exactly what I said? How does anyone get screwed?

Just to be clear, the question was not to stop the clock or anything, it was if table 2 waits for the new player.

@BGinGA, I think I get it now. The new player is assigned a seat immediately after seat 1 on table 2 is eliminated, and table 2 does not wait for the new player unless he is in the BB. Correct?

Example:
If the closest empty seat is three from the BB when the elimination occurred, and if table 1 is taking forever to complete the hand which the moving player is involved in, then table 2 would play two more hands but be forced to wait for the moving player before playing the third hand since he has the BB?

@BGinGA, please confirm or correct me! :)

Correct.

The new player is assigned a seat at table 2 and is dealt in immediately (and folded if not present, per normal protocol, although if actually due to post the big blind, the table would wait for his arrival and BB action).

Note that if, due to a combination of factors, the selected moving player (still in an active hand at table 1) were to be eliminated in that hand prior to moving, *and* his elimination did not automatically rebalance the tables and a player still needed to be moved, then the *next* player to be the BB at table 1 would move to table 2 (theoretically to the same seat that was assigned to the now-eliminated moving player). This usually only occurs if the original elimination(s) at table 2 caused the tables to be out of balance by two or more, such that a subsequent player elimination at table 1 did not automatically rebalance the tables.

So, pending circumstances, if the player selected to move is still involved in a hand and is eliminated in that hand, the outcome is usually that it causes the tables to auto-balance with no player movement required, although it is possible under some circumstances that a second player be selected to move (to the same seat).

Whew.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom